collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2123348 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Bruce out!
« Reply #19575 on: September 21, 2018, 04:54:28 PM »
Steve Bruce book on Aston Villa tactics:

1) Roll up sleeves
2) Smash it long to Hogan
3) Call fans hysterical

Conclusion: I know what I'm doing

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #19576 on: September 21, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »
Maths with Brucey.
1, 2 3 4 or 5 decent players
4 losses in 100 matches

Classic

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19577 on: September 21, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
The home form is good, but his away record is piss poor.

Just league games:

Home Played 45, won 27, drawn 13, lost 5 (definitely 5, Ipswich, Barnsley and Reading in his first season and Sheffield Wednesday and QPR last year)
Away Played 44, won 15, drawn 9, lost 20
Winning a third of the away games is acceptable, I'd suggest. It's the 20 defeats that really puts the away record into some sort of context.
And, at home - as you say - the draws kill us.

I'd say 1 in 3 away from home is the very minimum we should be looking at and is probably only play off standard at best.  In a 46 game season I think you need at least 26-27 wins to be in the mix for automatic promotion, if you only get 8 of them away it's puts a lot of pressure on you to win almost all of your home games. Ideally you want to win about half of your away games (11-12) then you're left look for 14-15 wins at home and anything more than that just nudges you towards the title.
[/quote

I think the dropped points from all of those home draws has held us back and is still holding us back. I would say that to have got points from 24 out of 44 away games is decent enough. So long as you back that up with plenty of home wins.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19578 on: September 21, 2018, 05:19:42 PM »
The home form is good, but his away record is piss poor.

Just league games:

Home Played 45, won 27, drawn 13, lost 5 (definitely 5, Ipswich, Barnsley and Reading in his first season and Sheffield Wednesday and QPR last year)
Away Played 44, won 15, drawn 9, lost 20
Winning a third of the away games is acceptable, I'd suggest. It's the 20 defeats that really puts the away record into some sort of context.
And, at home - as you say - the draws kill us.

I'd say 1 in 3 away from home is the very minimum we should be looking at and is probably only play off standard at best.  In a 46 game season I think you need at least 26-27 wins to be in the mix for automatic promotion, if you only get 8 of them away it's puts a lot of pressure on you to win almost all of your home games. Ideally you want to win about half of your away games (11-12) then you're left look for 14-15 wins at home and anything more than that just nudges you towards the title.
[/quote

I think the dropped points from all of those home draws has held us back and is still holding us back. I would say that to have got points from 24 out of 44 away games is decent enough. So long as you back that up with plenty of home wins.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #19579 on: September 21, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »
Maths with Brucey.
1, 2 3 4 or 5 decent players
4 losses in 100 matches

Classic

I think this is being misunderstood. The 100 games is being spoken about because it’s how many he has been in charge for apparently. It’s only on here that it is being interpreted as a claim that they have all been at home.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #19580 on: September 21, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »
If Bruce hadn't said "4 losses in a 100 games or whatever it is, is not a bad record" then people wouldn't be taking the piss.

Offline mike

« Reply #19581 on: September 21, 2018, 08:27:20 PM »
However you look at it, less draws at home, more draws away from home (i.e. less lost) would make all the difference and he hasn't managed either over a time period on which it is reasonable to judge him.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19582 on: September 21, 2018, 08:33:28 PM »
I think everyone who has posted on these pages has said the same thing in about 20 slightly different combinations of opprobrium. That's my last riff on Bruce is shite until he goes.

*starts stopwatch*

Look 99% of football managers have the brain power of a daffodil - it's just meaningless bollocks. I don't rate the guy as AV manager, but I couldn't give a shiny shite about stuff like this in the weekly charade that is a pre- match press conference. The only thing about Bruce that counts are results and  his aren't good enough.

*stops stopwatch*

Offline mike

« Reply #19583 on: September 21, 2018, 08:34:55 PM »
Just read this in the Grauniad... 'English professional football has always had a disdain for the views of those who have not been employed to play English professional football. This notion of disrespect at being asked a few questions, whether by journalists or fans empowered by social media, springs from the same place. How dare you, who live outside this world, question my actions.'

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #19584 on: September 21, 2018, 09:29:36 PM »
Quote from:
Bruce believes the criticism aimed at Jedinak has been unfair and blames his team as a collective for shipping too many goals this season rather than the Australian.

FFS is he for real?

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #19585 on: September 21, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »
it's all about stats again, how many home wins how many away wins who gives a fuck, stats don't mean shit
You only have to watch the games to know if we are any good or not over a period of time
and the answer is No, no where near good enough

we have had a good run of results but we have never had a good run of form,
 we have never been convincing for any length of time, we have managed to put a unbeaten run together but it's still in the main been painful to watch

I don't give a toss about the stats, only just what I see week on week

and it's bloody crap mostly, and I don't care what the stats say

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #19586 on: September 21, 2018, 09:41:39 PM »
it's all about stats again, how many home wins how many away wins who gives a fuck, stats don't mean shit
You only have to watch the games to know if we are any good or not over a period of time

we have never been convincing for any length of time, we have managed to put a unbeaten run together but it's still in the main been painful to watch

So, if we had won every single game under Bruce you’d still say 100% that Bruce is a poor manager

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #19587 on: September 21, 2018, 09:49:36 PM »
If Bruce hadn't said "4 losses in a 100 games or whatever it is, is not a bad record" then people wouldn't be taking the piss.

I have not read all the comments, but the comment re Forriesti is embarrassing imho

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #19588 on: September 21, 2018, 10:05:45 PM »

Good shout John.  The one thing the stats do say though, quite simply and clearly,  is that he hasn't been good enough to get us promoted.  Twice.  It's the only stat that matters because that was meant to be his reason for being here and his speciality.

He may say he knows what he's doing but the league table currently says he knows less than Bielsa, who has zero experience of the championship or promotions from it (sames as Neves, Benitez and Wagner before him) Tony PubeLice, Dean Smith, Darren Moore (who has little experience full stop) and Anthony Barry whose team were in the third tier 4 months ago.   Nice platform from which to have a dig at supporters and local media.  The dick.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #19589 on: September 21, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »

Good shout John.  The one thing the stats do say though, quite simply and clearly,  is that he hasn't been good enough to get us promoted.  Twice.  It's the only stat that matters because that was meant to be his reason for being here and his speciality.

He may say he knows what he's doing but the league table currently says he knows less than Bielsa, who has zero experience of the championship or promotions from it (sames as Neves, Benitez and Wagner before him) Tony PubeLice, Dean Smith, Darren Moore (who has little experience full stop) and Anthony Barry whose team were in the third tier 4 months ago.   Nice platform from which to have a dig at supporters and local media.  The dick.

Agree with most of the comments, with the exception of him twice messed up. He took over and don't think promotion was realistic. What riles me more than anything is him going on about his promotions and how well he has done. Were Cardiff not in a similar position when another dinosaur took control. He hasn't had the funds Bruce has had and certainly not the talent at the club also, but he achieved what the intelligent one failed to do

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal