collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114823 times)

Offline Villa75

Re: Bruce out!
« Reply #19530 on: September 20, 2018, 10:27:06 AM »
If the owners and people running the club are as clever as we would hope them to be, they won't wait until we're too far behind to make a change in manager. Clever people would read the signs, and take positive steps, before it's too late.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #19531 on: September 20, 2018, 10:49:52 AM »
I don't agree with this "kept Bruce in the summer for stability" cop-out. If you don't think he's good enough then, how is keeping a lame duck in charge helping stability? You can't really plan anything on the playing side. Besides the new owners wouldn't have given him the money if he was just minding the shop. They decided to back him instead of sacking him when they took over. God knows why, and now we're stuck with him barring a complete disaster in results.

Anyway its a real dilemma what to do for the best now. He's really not going to do bad enough to get the sack imo, and he's not going to do well enough to get us automatically promoted imo. So we have a situation were its possible he will get through to at least April before promotion is out the question.  If he makes the play-offs which i wouldn't bet against, then its the lottery again and another wasted season if his lack of tactics get found out again.If he wins them then we've got Bruce-Ball in the premiership and probably relegation with about 80m pounds worth of newly signed slight improvements on our current squad.

If they do jump the gun and bin him early or results did get really bad, then we have the whole problem of  finding a good replacement during the season when the best will be employed, and presumably managing teams with something to play for. Would you trust the new lot not to give it to one of the usual suspects in the managerial merry-go-round? I can't think of much worse than Nan's hair getting sacked on November 1st, only to have Moyes walk in on November 2nd.

So whats worse? Possibly wasting ANOTHER season on Bruceball but getting a decent well thought-out choice in the summer, OR getting rid of him now and possibly wasting 2 or 3 seasons on one of his contemporaries on the merry-go-round?

I don't have an answer really, and that's why we should have sacked him in the summer.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #19532 on: September 20, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »
Bruce isn't Garde, he isn't Sherwood or Lambert either. Whether you think he's good enough in the long term and indodnt they do, short of a disastrous run leaving us well adrift of even the Play Offs, you can count on us being in the mix. Which we are.

The description of the new owners getting to grips with the state of the club, putting in key people and building structures and then rushing to a conclusion that they're as bad as Lerner is bizarre.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #19533 on: September 20, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »
Bruce isn't Garde, he isn't Sherwood or Lambert either. Whether you think he's good enough in the long term and indodnt they do, short of a disastrous run leaving us well adrift of even the Play Offs, you can count on us being in the mix. Which we are.

The description of the new owners getting to grips with the state of the club, putting in key people and building structures and then rushing to a conclusion that they're as bad as Lerner is bizarre.

last season 99% of people on the site whether they were for or against Bruce as manager all agreed that it was shit or bust if we didn't go up he was gone, no excuses he was a gonner

we didn't go up and he still here

this season is no different from last season, exactly the same style and tactics no matter who the players or the line ups

you cant blame people for thinking we will never see the back of him, he's nothing special, any manager in the 4 leagues would be capable of getting us into the play offs, as will Bruce in my opinion,

but some of us, maybe most of us think we can do better than the last two seasons under Bruce, a lot better

Offline mike

« Reply #19534 on: September 20, 2018, 11:12:10 AM »
I don't agree with this "kept Bruce in the summer for stability" cop-out. If you don't think he's good enough then, how is keeping a lame duck in charge helping stability? You can't really plan anything on the playing side. Besides the new owners wouldn't have given him the money if he was just minding the shop. They decided to back him instead of sacking him when they took over. God knows why, and now we're stuck with him barring a complete disaster in results.

Anyway its a real dilemma what to do for the best now. He's really not going to do bad enough to get the sack imo, and he's not going to do well enough to get us automatically promoted imo. So we have a situation were its possible he will get through to at least April before promotion is out the question.  If he makes the play-offs which i wouldn't bet against, then its the lottery again and another wasted season if his lack of tactics get found out again.If he wins them then we've got Bruce-Ball in the premiership and probably relegation with about 80m pounds worth of newly signed slight improvements on our current squad.

If they do jump the gun and bin him early or results did get really bad, then we have the whole problem of  finding a good replacement during the season when the best will be employed, and presumably managing teams with something to play for. Would you trust the new lot not to give it to one of the usual suspects in the managerial merry-go-round? I can't think of much worse than Nan's hair getting sacked on November 1st, only to have Moyes walk in on November 2nd.

So whats worse? Possibly wasting ANOTHER season on Bruceball but getting a decent well thought-out choice in the summer, OR getting rid of him now and possibly wasting 2 or 3 seasons on one of his contemporaries on the merry-go-round?

I don't have an answer really, and that's why we should have sacked him in the summer.

If we think we are in with a shout at promotion this year, he needs to be gone before he has the chance to waste the money that will be showered on him. Bloody hell, it'd be like giving my kids £1,000 and then being amazed when they bought their own bodyweight in sweets or toys they'd play with once then lose.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19535 on: September 20, 2018, 11:17:59 AM »

We should all take a moment to think about how close we came to oblivion before the new owners stepped in. I remember the feeling of sheer relief when the takeover news came through while I was on holiday with 16 fellow villa fans. It felt like we had won the football lottery and we celebrated as if we had won a trophy! For anyone to even think about questioning their ability to run a successful football club after just 8 weeks is ridiculous imo. I'm entirely confident that these guys will get it right given time. Why would I not be?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:25:53 AM by The Edge »

Offline nigel

« Reply #19536 on: September 20, 2018, 11:24:27 AM »

Who would have been perfect at this moment in time

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #19537 on: September 20, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »

If we think we are in with a shout at promotion this year, he needs to be gone before he has the chance to waste the money that will be showered on him. Bloody hell, it'd be like giving my kids £1,000 and then being amazed when they bought their own bodyweight in sweets or toys they'd play with once then lose.

yeah i'd agree if i knew the club had a good replacement lined up in the wings, but we don't know that. And lets face it, Bruce has a shout at promotion too. That's the nature of this league with the play-offs - you need to be really really bad to be totally out of touch with them before christmas.   Millwall in 8th place were within 3 points of a play-off place in May. Go back to April and you're probably down to 10th or 11th place with clubs within one win of a play-off place. Now can you see Bruce finishing lower than 8th? I can't, so there's a good chance he's gonna be within striking distance of the play-offs till at least May. Doesn't mean he's any good though.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #19538 on: September 20, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
It's not based on a whim. I am sceptical because they have a small squad and a manager not keen on rotation, who has double training and a system and style which takes a lot out of you physically.

This time last year they were top with 17 points. The season before they started like a train.

Injuries to key players affected them and I don't think it's out the realms of possibility to consider the likelihood of injuries and fatigue may increase.

Losing key players, Patrick Bamford, Gaetano Berardi, Pablo Hernandez and Kemar Roofe doesn't seem to have halted their progress.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #19539 on: September 20, 2018, 11:57:44 AM »
I know it's a long way of but if he did get us promoted he would be gone by October. We would stink the league out and would be that negative in games that it would make McLeish wince. Look how Wolves have played since going up; open, attacking and brave football. They had 27 shots against Burnley and should have won by 4 or 5. We would be the opposite.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #19540 on: September 20, 2018, 12:09:50 PM »
I know it's a long way of but if he did get us promoted he would be gone by October. We would stink the league out and would be that negative in games that it would make McLeish wince. Look how Wolves have played since going up; open, attacking and brave football. They had 27 shots against Burnley and should have won by 4 or 5. We would be the opposite.

yeah and its why i've always had a problem with the idea he can get us up and then we sack him when it inevitably turns pear-shaped and get someone good in. For one, its a terrible mentality to employ a manager you don't think is good enough to survive in the premiership. Secondly, before he'd get the tin-tack he will have upgraded the squad with millions of pounds of his 'type' of players - he'll employ the same system as now but more expensive/slightly better players doing it. And then presumably we'll ask some progressive coach to come in and turn us into Barcelona with a squad in the bottom 3. Buh?

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #19541 on: September 20, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »

[/quote]

I think that's the best description of Bruce's management style I've ever seen.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #19542 on: September 20, 2018, 12:22:25 PM »
Bruce wouldn't hack it in the PL which is why I don't see promotion as the only target.  It should be promotion with a supporting infrastructure and style that will allow us to thrive once up.  Otherwise we're back to three years ago.  I can't see Bruce providing what we need.   

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #19543 on: September 20, 2018, 12:26:22 PM »
Shocked that he should bite back. It's not like anyone on here has ever been abusive about him.

He represents the club.

I represent my job. If I'm criticised by the public, I would be sacked for being critical of them.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #19544 on: September 20, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »
Like last season Bruce doesn't have a settled formation or first 11. It cost us then, he need to sort it quick.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal