collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by CT Villan
[Today at 01:59:17 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:59:06 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:58:24 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Dogtanian
[Today at 01:56:50 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Nev
[Today at 01:56:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by SamTheMouse
[Today at 01:56:02 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 01:54:44 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2131326 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #15375 on: July 10, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »
We can nit pick all we like about his interview

but it basically boils down to this-

if you don’t want Bruce as manager and want him gone whatever he has to say grates and gets on your nerves

If you think Bruce is the man for us next season then you will find his interview ok and have no quibble with what he said

the actual interview is seen through the prism of the way we individually see Bruce

Not really.  Whilst I have supported him in the past I would now prefer him to be replaced.  But I thought the interview was ok.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #15376 on: July 10, 2018, 11:02:22 PM »
That's nothing like the reality of the situation.  Do you honestly think that Spurs will be the only club interested in a young player with Jack's talent?  As soon as more than one club are interested, then it becomes a lot more difficult for one club to take the piss.  Every single club in the Premier League an afford him, every single one.  And once we get towards the deadline date in August, we'll start to get much closer towards his market value, whatever that clueless idiot Bruce thinks.  So if Spurs for example, think a derisory offer of £15m will get him, then another club will say, let's try and steal a march for £18m.  If you get three clubs interested in him, he'll be going for £25m minimum.  Assuming there's anybody left at the club who actually knows what they're doing of course.

What Bruce said wasn't the truth, it was the world according to Steve Bruce trying to cover his fat arse.

I can't believe you even believe any of that nonsense yourself.

edit: not worth the bother.

Just wondering what he finds nonsensical.  Is it the accurate description of basic economics?  Is it the assumption that more than one club might be interested in Grealish? Is it the assertion that all PL clubs can afford Grealish, in a world where Leicester have just paid £20m for a young Norwich midfielder?  Perhaps it's all three.  No of course it must be the bit about there being someone left at the club who knows what they are doing.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #15377 on: July 11, 2018, 06:39:33 AM »
Scary part of the interview, taking into account I should imagine that we all know as does everyone else in football we are in dire straights financially, is the fact footballers are like children, give them a ready made amount of excuses for not performing and they wont and we are one club that should be so aware of this from our recent history. 

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #15378 on: July 11, 2018, 06:42:07 AM »
I am with you Allan C.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #15379 on: July 11, 2018, 11:02:50 AM »
I think this supposed 'honesty' virtue of Steve Bruce is a poor mask for pre-prepared excuses. Even if we do suffer the loss of Jack and some others we should be as positive as possible, ready to fight like fury to be the best we can.

I'm not hearing that from him. Even the body language is that of a shrug.

I would much prefer a new positive manager.
I think we 'can't afford' not to begin afresh.

Bye-bye, Steve. Please.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #15380 on: July 11, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »
Hopefully, with Jack going, we will revert back to 433 and play with a bit of pace in the final 3rd.  I see 6 starters in the squad:  Hutton & Elmo as full backs, Jedi, Connor & possibly BB working as a 3 and 2 out of Kodjia/Green/Albert.  People like Whelan, Lansbury etc will be good back up if we cannot shift them.

This leaves us to consider a keeper, 2 central defenders (assuming Chester goes) and a striker/wide player.

For me, that would be enough to push for top 6 next season.

I think the following would most likely do ok
4-3-3
Steer or new GK
De Laet or Bree or Elmo
2 from Elphick, Bedeau, Huth?, new CB
Hutton
Jedinak
Thor
Hourahane (pushing on where he's best)
Green
Adomah
Davis

4-4-2
Same GK/ defence except ignore Elmo...
Midfield Elmo, Jedinak, Thor or Hourahane, Adomah or Green
Strikers 2 from Davis, OHare, Hogan.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #15381 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
Hopefully, with Jack going, we will revert back to 433 and play with a bit of pace in the final 3rd.  I see 6 starters in the squad:  Hutton & Elmo as full backs, Jedi, Connor & possibly BB working as a 3 and 2 out of Kodjia/Green/Albert.  People like Whelan, Lansbury etc will be good back up if we cannot shift them.

This leaves us to consider a keeper, 2 central defenders (assuming Chester goes) and a striker/wide player.

For me, that would be enough to push for top 6 next season.

I think the following would most likely do ok
4-3-3
Steer or new GK
De Laet or Bree or Elmo
2 from Elphick, Bedeau, Huth?, new CB
Hutton
Jedinak
Thor
Hourahane (pushing on where he's best)
Green
Adomah
Davis

4-4-2
Same GK/ defence except ignore Elmo...
Midfield Elmo, Jedinak, Thor or Hourahane, Adomah or Green
Strikers 2 from Davis, OHare, Hogan.

I just think that we've looked laborious and predictable in a 442, ever since Bruce took over.  The only exception being when Grealish returned at Christmas.  Without Grealish, a midfield 4 will lack spark and creativity.

At least 433 will see us with a bit of pace and purpose.  I'm really struggling with Davis.  I really like him but still have my doubts as to whether he'd hit double figures.  He has other fantastic attributes but we'd probably need 30-40 goals from the other striker/number 10 and the midfield 4.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #15382 on: July 11, 2018, 12:01:14 PM »
Having reflected a little on Bruce’s avfc website interview, haven’t watched the Sky one at all I wonder if it was scripted to bring the Jack thing back into the media as it seems to have become a when not if he goes to Spurs, in the hope of either jollying it along or bringing others into picture?

As there clearly was not a plan after all for not getting promoted you wonder if there is a plan if Spurs decide to go elsewhere and there is no taker for Jack?

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #15383 on: July 11, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
If reports are accurate the owner is looking to sell anything he can get his hands on just to stay afloat. He is totally dependent on selling players to survive in the short term, who would have believed after Lerner that things could get worse. I'm kind of being open to administrators being appointed now, at least we would have professionals running the club until it was sold.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #15384 on: July 11, 2018, 03:07:17 PM »
so this FFP thing

Leicester and Bournemouth both broke the rules , paid a fine and are now both in the prem , so Leicester get £300m+ revenue and a premier league title for an outlay of £3.1m - investment of the century

I just dont understand it all .

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #15385 on: July 11, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
I don't understand why the fans need to reduce their expectations .  we will still have a strong  squad with good youngsters coming through and an experienced coach .  Earn your bloody money Brucey boy and get us up let6s not fall back on this as an excuse 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #15386 on: July 11, 2018, 09:01:15 PM »
Again, the rules have been changed since the likes of QPR, Leicester etc broke them.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #15387 on: July 11, 2018, 09:45:52 PM »
Again, the rules have been changed since the likes of QPR, Leicester etc broke them.

Our timing, as always, has been impeccable.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #15388 on: July 11, 2018, 11:01:08 PM »
I don't understand why the fans need to reduce their expectations .  we will still have a strong  squad with good youngsters coming through and an experienced coach .  Earn your bloody money Brucey boy and get us up let6s not fall back on this as an excuse 

This

Offline Rico

« Reply #15389 on: July 12, 2018, 07:16:19 AM »
If we are stuck with Bruce, then I hope that he will take inspiration from Gareth Southgate's England by giving youth a try. For many years now we have been told that we have one of the best youth set ups in the country, but our kids hardly ever get a run of games.  Bruce seems to prefer to develop Man Utd's kids or Spurs kids. Well let's see what we've got. You never know they might surprise us - just like England have.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal