collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2130171 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #14850 on: June 22, 2018, 02:55:30 PM »
For years and years now, we've been appointing old fashioned managers, letting them build a squad in their image, then having to dismantle it and start again every time there's a change of staff.

It's a much maligned concept in GB, but I think we need a director of football and a "project". Start targeting talented young players, and appoint forward-thinking managers to coach them. Define a style of play for the club, and recruit the personnel to fit it, rather than the other way around.

Which is precisely what we've done and are doing, just not in conjunction with the First Team; when that will be reviewed is of course open for debate.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14851 on: June 22, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »
For years and years now, we've been appointing old fashioned managers, letting them build a squad in their image, then having to dismantle it and start again every time there's a change of staff.

It's a much maligned concept in GB, but I think we need a director of football and a "project". Start targeting talented young players, and appoint forward-thinking managers to coach them. Define a style of play for the club, and recruit the personnel to fit it, rather than the other way around.

Which is precisely what we've done and are doing, just not in conjunction with the First Team; when that will be reviewed is of course open for debate.

We do need to bring the first team into the fold now though because carrying on like we did last year with all the problems we're facing would be monumentally stupid. I'm not going to worry about the recent/current links we've seen to people like Huth though because I doubt there's been any serious discussion about targets yet. If we do start bringing players like that in though it will show, yet again, and Bruce hasn't learnt a thing and the board doesn't have the ability/knowledge/will to do anything about it.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14852 on: June 23, 2018, 11:07:48 AM »

It's weird that the Wembley failure only seems to have been put at Bruce's door then.

Because if anyone can tell me with a straight face that any of our so called 'name' players put in a performance that was warranted i'll not believe it.

But it's 'Bruce blew it', 'fist face failed', blah blah fucking blah from the usual suspects.

Not, 'Terry was rotten', 'Snodgrass was a carthorse', 'Hutton had a mare' etc

I dare say someone will chime up now saying 'Bruce's tactics'. Like he went out telling the team to play like they were shitting themselves for the first 45 minutes.

Well since performances like that happened frequently, one might quite reasonably conclude that Bruce had something to do with it. It's almost as if it's what passes for a "tactic" in Bruceworld. 

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #14853 on: June 23, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »

It's weird that the Wembley failure only seems to have been put at Bruce's door then.

Because if anyone can tell me with a straight face that any of our so called 'name' players put in a performance that was warranted i'll not believe it.

But it's 'Bruce blew it', 'fist face failed', blah blah fucking blah from the usual suspects.

Not, 'Terry was rotten', 'Snodgrass was a carthorse', 'Hutton had a mare' etc

I dare say someone will chime up now saying 'Bruce's tactics'. Like he went out telling the team to play like they were shitting themselves for the first 45 minutes.

Well since performances like that happened frequently, one might quite reasonably conclude that Bruce had something to do with it. It's almost as if it's what passes for a "tactic" in Bruceworld. 

With it happening regularly in the same type of games, it would seem to be a 'tactic'.  If not, a decent manager would have rectified it.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #14854 on: June 23, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »
With it happening regularly in the same type of games, it would seem to be a 'tactic'.  If not, a decent manager would have rectified it.

Alternatively, we have a lot of bottlers on the pitch. Which 'same type of games' by the way ?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #14855 on: June 23, 2018, 01:02:08 PM »

Alternatively, we have a lot of bottlers on the pitch. Which 'same type of games' by the way ?

So why does the manager keep on selecting them, then. Games that the manager perceive as hard e.g. away games at Wolves, Cardiff, Fulham, Norwich, Derby etc.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #14856 on: June 23, 2018, 04:50:37 PM »
Fulham turned up to win it , we turned up to nick it. All down to the manager.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #14857 on: June 23, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »

If that was the case then he should have given the youngsters a chance. That would have been good management.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #14858 on: June 23, 2018, 07:15:38 PM »

So why does the manager keep on selecting them, then

Oh i can imagine that. The team walks out at Wembley minus Terry, Hutton, Jedi, Snodgrass, Adomah and Grabban as Bruce had looked into his crystal ball and saw that they'd all bottle the big occasion

Doesn't work like that does it ?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #14859 on: June 23, 2018, 07:15:56 PM »

If that was the case then he should have given the youngsters a chance. That would have been good management.

see answer above

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14860 on: June 23, 2018, 07:22:45 PM »
So what is it that Bruce actually does? And of that, what is he responsible for?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14861 on: June 23, 2018, 07:29:08 PM »
Don't feed the troll.

Online Clampy

« Reply #14862 on: June 23, 2018, 08:21:04 PM »
Why are some people who disagree with people on here called trolls? It's very childish.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #14863 on: June 23, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
To be fair Clampy having a different opinion is fine when it makes some sense and I think everyone accepts that.  When someone appears to just be bloody minded in the face of all logic and reason it comes across as a wind up.

Online Clampy

« Reply #14864 on: June 23, 2018, 09:08:15 PM »
To be fair Clampy having a different opinion is fine when it makes some sense and I think everyone accepts that.  When someone appears to just be bloody minded in the face of all logic and reason it comes across as a wind up.

That's all well and good, but I got got called a troll by the same person so he does have previous. I'm not sure i agree with everything Mr Baltimore says mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal