collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113442 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #10845 on: February 23, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
As many of you will know, I'm no fan of Steve Bruce but I thoroughly enjoyed reading that article (thanks, Reuben) and felt an emotional connection with his story.
If, at the end of this season, we can honestly say that the club's culture has shifted from terminal decline to one of positive enthusiasm for a new and fulfilling future, then he has made a big contribution, regardless of our final position in the league.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #10846 on: February 23, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »
An excellent article and well written about a very decent human being.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #10847 on: February 23, 2018, 01:36:51 PM »
Thanks for the paste.

It could be a perceptual bias/ projection, but with my line of work I'm fairly attuned to spot these things.
Not sure how others have perceived it but when walking past us on a Saturday I thought the grief he is going through was very apparent in his body language especially after each time he acknowledged the fans.

Very much appreciate hearing how he is. As much as there might be questions on his judgement on occasions (mitigated by overall promtion success rate & the exact stabilisation job/need as described), never any doubt about his heart & humility.

Wishing him & his family well in this most public of goldfish bowls.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #10848 on: February 23, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »
A touching article, thanks for the copy.
My thoughts and best wishes are with Steve Bruce and his family at this difficult time.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #10849 on: February 23, 2018, 04:21:30 PM »
Good article and highlights the type of things we all should do when our parents are ill / unwell
When my late mother was ill in Selly Oak and QE I travelled down to Brum after work in Liverpool every evening returning home in the early hours and repeating - it's physically and mentally demanding - my role was obviously not as demanding as Steve Bruce's but the stress did eventually takes its toll
I am pleased that Bruce said the club are being good - by this I assume he means understanding - my thoughts are with Steve and his family - at this difficult and challenging time -   I have earlier posted a slightly sarcastic piece on the pre match section -  it's not intended to be disrespectful - just my poor attempt at humour :(
I think Bruce should be admired for the way he has set about working his way through this difficult personal period of his life - some things are far more important than football despite what Bill Shankly said

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:19:20 PM by villa `cross the mersey »

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #10850 on: February 23, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »
Good article and highlights the type of things we all should do when our parents are ill / unwell
When my late mother was ill in Selly Oak and QE I travelled down to Brum after work in Liverpool every evening returning home in the early hours and repeating - it's physically and mentally demanding - my role was obviously not as demanding as Steve Bruce's but the stress did eventually takes its toll
I am pleased that Bruce said the club are being good - by this I assume he means understanding - my thoughts are with Steve and his family - at this difficult and challenging time -   I have earlier posted a slightly sarcastic piece on the pre match section -  it's not intended to be disrespectful - just my poor attempt at humour :(
I think Bruce should be admired for the way he has set about working his way through this difficult personal period of his life - some things are far more important than football despite what Bill Shankley said
Yes, the famous/infamous quote by Shankley is the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #10851 on: February 23, 2018, 05:26:55 PM »
Bill Shankly never gets a crumb of appreciation for his famous aphorism.  I genuinely believe that it was intended as a joke.  Like Churchill called Nancy Astor ugly.  (You are drunk Mr Churchill.  And you are ugly madam.  In the morning I shall be sober.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:29:18 PM by brian green »

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #10852 on: February 23, 2018, 08:12:52 PM »
I think whatever happens on the pitch, him and the board will take a lot of credit on how they've steadied things at the club when the dust has settled. You only have to look at the latest club accounts and the almost staggering reduction in losses. A lot of that has affected Bruce's ability to build a squad badly so credit where credit's due.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10853 on: February 23, 2018, 08:43:10 PM »
Thanks for the post, Reuben

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10854 on: February 23, 2018, 09:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the paste.

It could be a perceptual bias/ projection, but with my line of work I'm fairly attuned to spot these things.
Not sure how others have perceived it but when walking past us on a Saturday I thought the grief he is going through was very apparent in his body language especially after each time he acknowledged the fans.

Very much appreciate hearing how he is. As much as there might be questions on his judgement on occasions (mitigated by overall promtion success rate & the exact stabilisation job/need as described), never any doubt about his heart & humility.

Wishing him & his family well in this most public of goldfish bowls.

I thought that watching his press conference just now. There's something about grieving that saps your energy.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #10855 on: February 23, 2018, 10:24:02 PM »
I think whatever happens on the pitch, him and the board will take a lot of credit on how they've steadied things at the club when the dust has settled. You only have to look at the latest club accounts and the almost staggering reduction in losses. A lot of that has affected Bruce's ability to build a squad badly so credit where credit's due.

The latest set of accounts show the underlying losses have worsened.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #10856 on: February 23, 2018, 11:07:34 PM »

The latest set of accounts show the underlying losses have worsened.

Mostly things Bruce and the board can do nothing about. But when you reduce transfer spending from £60m to 3m and the wage bill by 28m (about 18 players on 30k a week) you can see where the axe has fell and its mostly been on Bruce

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #10857 on: February 23, 2018, 11:25:36 PM »
I’d still say that many on this site were predicting a mid table finish, when we assumed we’d have Kodjia, grealish Jedinak available all season plus fewer injuries

I think we just need to reserve judgment until the end of the season

I think we just need to stop panicking whenever we drop points. We're not going to win every game.
I think the time to start panicking is nigh. We are fast entering the final lap and the four point gap is worrying. It can not be allowed to get bigger.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #10858 on: February 24, 2018, 12:00:45 AM »
I’d still say that many on this site were predicting a mid table finish, when we assumed we’d have Kodjia, grealish Jedinak available all season plus fewer injuries

I think we just need to reserve judgment until the end of the season

I think we just need to stop panicking whenever we drop points. We're not going to win every game.
I think the time to start panicking is nigh. We are fast entering the final lap and the four point gap is worrying. It can not be allowed to get bigger.

Agree, mate. I think we'll win today, though.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #10859 on: February 24, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »
A very nice article and a good read.
I am not Bruce’s biggest fan, but have come to realise that sometimes a ‘pragmatic’ approach  is needed to get to where you need to get to, and pragmatism  one of his strengths.
I thinks he is also right when he says that the team and fans finally ‘connected’  after the Sheffield last minute winner.

I think he is a genuine ‘football’ man and his experience at this level will eventually pay off for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal