collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2130940 times)

Offline Canadian Villa

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #10725 on: February 15, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »
Can someone help explain the connection with Agnew and this run? For sure they coincided but what is it that he has done to help with this run? We have enough coaches at the club that bringing in one more isn't going to magically change us over night. I've seen a few posters mention this coincidence but without a real reason as to what it is that he has done at BM

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #10726 on: February 15, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »
Can someone help explain the connection with Agnew and this run? For sure they coincided but what is it that he has done to help with this run? We have enough coaches at the club that bringing in one more isn't going to magically change us over night. I've seen a few posters mention this coincidence but without a real reason as to what it is that he has done at BM

I wouldn't subscribe to him being the fundamental reason but since he arrived his task has been attacking coaching and he is part of the inner, Friday afternoon, circle of "how should we play tomorrow?".

Everyone at the club, from CEO down, sees Agnew as a boon.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #10727 on: February 15, 2018, 06:51:48 PM »

I wouldn't subscribe to him being the fundamental reason but since he arrived his task has been attacking coaching and he is part of the inner, Friday afternoon, circle of "how should we play tomorrow?".

Everyone at the club, from CEO down, sees Agnew as a boon.

So we should be playing the other Hi Ho Silver at full time?

Offline Diablo

« Reply #10728 on: February 15, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »
As you say the winning run has coincided with his arrival. Not sure if it's people reading between the lines but to support the argument - Hogan has said in interviews that Agnew has spent time coaching him on a one to one (and Hogan now looks a different player). Birkir Bjarnason also said in a recent interview in the Icelandic press that the coaching methods had recently dramatically improved (which again look to coincide with his arrival). I also read an interview where (I think it was Wyness said) that Agnew had been brought in to concentrate specifically on the attack and that now the other coaches could concentrate on their specialities  e.g. Calderwood on the defence) - and the attack (with the return of Grealish too) looks to have improved no end. There may well be more examples but they were the ones that immediately sprang to my mind.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #10729 on: February 15, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »
As you say the winning run has coincided with his arrival. Not sure if it's people reading between the lines but to support the argument - Hogan has said in interviews that Agnew has spent time coaching him on a one to one (and Hogan now looks a different player). Birkir Bjarnason also said in a recent interview in the Icelandic press that the coaching methods had recently dramatically improved (which again look to coincide with his arrival). I also read an interview where (I think it was Wyness said) that Agnew had been brought in to concentrate specifically on the attack and that now the other coaches could concentrate on their specialities  e.g. Calderwood on the defence) - and the attack (with the return of Grealish too) looks to have improved no end. There may well be more examples but they were the ones that immediately sprang to my mind.

Thanks for this. It just looked like too much of a coincidence really. Could be a bit of both, or a better focus on attacking.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #10730 on: February 15, 2018, 11:49:28 PM »

We were sleep walking into anther season in the Championship before his arrival. At best, winning ugly, at worst wondering where the fuck were our £83m squad had disappeared to. Everybody wanted Bruce out (including Ads)* but since his arrival we have started to look like the sum of all things, capped off by possibly the best 94 minutes of football we've produced in years last Sunday, in a derby, not known for its quality football and against a shit hole team enjoying a very real tidy run.

More than that, we now seem to have clicked 'mentally' as a team, the big 'collective spirit' that real successful teams need. I think that not only has he brought a football brain to the table, something we so obviously lacked, he's also got the players to believe. For me he is without doubt Bruce's best signing. Just a shame we never had him last season.

* Not Clampy, obviously. ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:51:12 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline manic-road

« Reply #10731 on: February 17, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »

Thanks for this. It just looked like too much of a coincidence really. Could be a bit of both, or a better focus on attacking.

Terry and Grealish being fit again and in the team certainly help.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #10732 on: February 17, 2018, 01:05:13 PM »
It's clear getting Agnew in was a boost as we've looked far more convincing going forward ever since he tuned up in how we construct moves from the halfway line.

I'm more intrigued by seemingly we get to Friday afteroon and suddenly realised we've got opposition to prepare for. Could be Chelts teasing of course.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #10733 on: February 17, 2018, 01:09:31 PM »

Terry and Grealish being fit again and in the team certainly help.

The biggest differences for me have been the change in formation to a system that the players look more comfortable in and the fact that Grealish is delivering match winning performances on a consistent basis. 

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #10734 on: February 17, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »

The difference is that Hourihane and Grealish are looking to play betwee the lines more often, not playing Onamah as a number 10.
So we often have 3 not one in an offensive position.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #10735 on: February 17, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
After the good run this was a real challenge for Bruce how to cope with loss of two key players and I am afraid he didn’t do very well.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #10736 on: February 17, 2018, 05:55:46 PM »
And if Cairny and Sessignon had been injured instead of our two best players (ignoring the fact Kodjia is out) then we'd have rolled them over. As it is, the squad wasnt good enough to cope.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #10737 on: February 17, 2018, 06:06:50 PM »
I do feel that it's not really these games which will define the chances of getting second, it's how we play against Sheffield Wednesday, Preston and the like. Bruce hasn't done well against the top teams but they don't make up most of the fixtures. That's why you've got to grudgingly admire Cardiff - they get results against the also-rans. But then so have we with the run we've just put together. Now we've got plenty of those left and we've got to take the majority of those chances. Beating Wolves is a feather in the cap, but if you then lose to Norwich or QPR you won't achieve anything of note.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #10738 on: February 17, 2018, 06:15:12 PM »
Despite the run, today shows that  this type of performance is allways on the cards.
He did not need to go as negative as he did and the bench left a paucity of options.
One defeat and we are out of automatic place.
Shows how damaging those 2 bad months  were.
Let’s hope this is just a blip.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #10739 on: February 17, 2018, 06:18:41 PM »
Despite the run, today shows that  this type of performance is allways on the cards.
He did not need to go as negative as he did and the bench left a paucity of options.
One defeat and we are out of automatic place.
Shows how damaging those 2 bad months  were.
Let’s hope this is just a blip.

Yeah, I thought that earlier. All of those wins were to give us a chance. Had we had any kind of consistency before Christmas we'd be marking time with the Dogheads now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal