collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Edge of the Press-ipice  (Read 3823 times)

Offline NeilH

Re: Edge of the Press-ipice
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 09:39:45 AM »
At this stage, after the past five or so years, I really think it is the pressure and desperation of the fans that is rubbing off on the players.  They play with fear and the weight of the world on their shoulders.  When opposition managers come to Villa Park, the gameplan is simple - keep things tight for the first forty five minutes, get the home crowd jumpy, then go for it in the second half.

Sorry, but I’m not buying that. I was with my kids at both the Xmas home fixtures in the Holte End and saw no signs of the crowds nervousness affecting play. Like every other person on here, I can’t fathom what the hell is going wrong and how it is that no matter what we try it never seems to work, but I don’t think that the very long suffering and very patient fans are a reason.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 09:40:22 AM »
Players performing better after they leave is down to one or more of not being asked to play a system that doesn't suit them, not playing with fear, working with better players, working with players that have a better attitude, playing at a club that has a better atmosphere behind the scenes at the training ground and away from there.  There are probably others that I have missed.

The playing system is the more obvious one and once Lambert went to the slow possession football that went nowhere, we haven't been able to shake off the low tempo, with the exception of those few weeks with Sherwood.  There must be more too it than that, though.  Is there something we are not seeing that is dragging the players down and which ultimately drags the manager down as well.

We have to be more positive to improve and that starts with the team set up.  I know that it starts getting on to dangerous ground but the powers to be need to step in and tell the manager the style they want to see the club going forward with. Promotion is way beyond us now, so we have some time to take a new approach.  If the manager doesn't like it, get somebody in whose profile fits the approach the club want to go forward with.  Fans are getting to the end of their patience.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
I do think tempo plays a big part. I wish we would close down round the pitch much better than we do. Bruce doesn't seem to have that philosophy but when I see teams like Spurs do it, I always feel they are on the front foot, forcing mistakes, getting the crowd behind them, generating a momentum.

On Saturday we only really forced the game in the first and last 15 minutes. The rest of the game was played at the pace of a training session which suits teams coming to VP.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
Players performing better after they leave is down to one or more of not being asked to play a system that doesn't suit them, not playing with fear, working with better players, working with players that have a better attitude, playing at a club that has a better atmosphere behind the scenes at the training ground and away from there.  There are probably others that I have missed.

The playing system is the more obvious one and once Lambert went to the slow possession football that went nowhere, we haven't been able to shake off the low tempo, with the exception of those few weeks with Sherwood.  There must be more too it than that, though.  Is there something we are not seeing that is dragging the players down and which ultimately drags the manager down as well.

We have to be more positive to improve and that starts with the team set up.  I know that it starts getting on to dangerous ground but the powers to be need to step in and tell the manager the style they want to see the club going forward with. Promotion is way beyond us now, so we have some time to take a new approach.  If the manager doesn't like it, get somebody in whose profile fits the approach the club want to go forward with.  Fans are getting to the end of their patience.

top bit I'd add, as a key one, knowing what's expected of them.  The answer to that is in the last paragraph, we desperately need the board to work out what we're supposed to be.  we need a strong leader at board level to start saying "we don't do that, it's not the villa way" and pushing us back towards the style we want to see.  I suspect, for most fans, that is high tempo, aggressive defence and moving the ball forward quickly with 1-2 touches passes and getting plenty of shots away.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
Good read Dave.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »
At this stage, after the past five or so years, I really think it is the pressure and desperation of the fans that is rubbing off on the players.  They play with fear and the weight of the world on their shoulders.  When opposition managers come to Villa Park, the gameplan is simple - keep things tight for the first forty five minutes, get the home crowd jumpy, then go for it in the second half.
I have to say that I think this is bang on the money. I think it's the weight of expectation that seems to do for anyone that walks through the hallowed entrance to Villa Park. There's riches both financially and legacy wise to be had by whoever can crack the code and unlock the huge potential at Aston Villa Football Club.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:50:34 PM by The Edge »

Offline jwarry

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 01:10:14 PM »
I do think tempo plays a big part. I wish we would close down round the pitch much better than we do. Bruce doesn't seem to have that philosophy but when I see teams like Spurs do it, I always feel they are on the front foot, forcing mistakes, getting the crowd behind them, generating a momentum.

On Saturday we only really forced the game in the first and last 15 minutes. The rest of the game was played at the pace of a training session which suits teams coming to VP.

Which suggests Bruce sends them out with the intention to play hi-tempo but for some reason they go into their shell.  I have seen enough to see that Hourihan and Lansbury care passionately but no one individual can change the mentality - it has to be a full team effort and there lies the problem.  Bruce is no mug, neither is Calderwood, but they are struggling to turn this lot into a team.  Xia and everyone else is preaching patience which is fine, but when you see other teams with a new manager looking like a team from day one (e.g. Reading, who have nothing like the players we have, yet Stam keeps getting results) it doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 01:21:19 PM »
I have to say that I think this is bang on the money. I think it's the weight of expectation that seems to do for anyone that walks through the hallowed entrance to Villa Park. There's riches both financially and legacy wise to be had by whoever can crack the code and unlock the huge potential at Aston Villa Football Club.

It really shouldn't be the truth but you do wonder if there is something in it. We, the fans, are the only constant.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »
The weight of expectation if you follow that logically were heading towards the Vanarama.  Great article Dave we need a higher tempo that comes down to certain fitness levels

Offline TB

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »

It really shouldn't be the truth but you do wonder if there is something in it. We, the fans, are the only constant.

Except Gabby.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »
The most recent games have been straight out of the Alex McLeish handbook.  Negative, turgid, ugly football that considers a drawn game to be a victory because we did not lose.  Our players play badly because they are scared of losing.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »
The most recent games have been straight out of the Alex McLeish handbook.  Negative, turgid, ugly football that considers a drawn game to be a victory because we did not lose.  Our players play badly because they are scared of losing.

One point victories were Lambert's raison d'etre.

Offline Boz

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »

Is this the result of appointing old school managers

Offline ez

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »

Shuddering at the memory. He even parked the bus for low scoring defeats.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal