collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Thankfully 0% Villa now - Tim Sherwood, chancer extraordinaire  (Read 26543 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Thankfully 0% Villa now - Tim Sherwood, chancer extraordinaire
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 09:28:04 PM »
Some of his performances were great - Sunderland/Spurs Away, Everton at Home , the second  half v  West Brom cup and league games), the first half v West Ham and of course out thinking Liverpool.

Not all his  fault  for it going pearshape  - Benteke and the  snake didn't help.

Certainly got more out the players than Bruce is at the  moment.

I detest Talkrubbish but others have been on their. 

Some of his appointments and signings were naff but come on again  not the first nor the last  to fall  into that trap.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
I think we have enough of our own charlatans  without worrying about what Sherwood is up to.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 03:38:50 AM »
But  we are chastising him when we have had worse managers previously and since.  I don't particularly care for him, but he did  for a brief  moment give us back our Villa.  The likes of Benteke, Delph and Cleverley took that moment away and we were well and truly stuffed.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »
But  we are chastising him when we have had worse managers previously and since.  I don't particularly care for him, but he did  for a brief  moment give us back our Villa.  The likes of Benteke, Delph and Cleverley took that moment away and we were well and truly stuffed.

I think one of the reasons Sherwood might cop it more than other shit managers is that he spent more time than most talking himself up. The more you talk yourself up, the bigger the fall when it goes wrong.

For a spell of 10 or so games, though, yes, we were watchable. It started to go seriously south even before the end of that season, though.

The true villain of the piece here is the utter, utter idiot who decided to have a list consisting of one candidate, and for that candidate to be Sherwood.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »
The true villain of the piece here is the utter, utter idiot who decided to have a list consisting of one candidate, and for that candidate to be Sherwood.

Without wanting to beat saunders_heroes' drum, there is also the bloke who thought paying nearly a million pounds a year to that guy in exchange for decisions like that one.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:18 AM »
I wouldn't have him back in a million years but he gave me two of the best days i've had supporting Villa so I can never bring myself to get too worked up about him.

100% agree

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 10:00:36 AM »
He kept us up, and the FA Cup semi was pretty special, but then everything fell apart spectacularly. He looked like a rabbit in the headlights after the Cup Final, and everything after that was a disaster.

Offline peter w

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 10:04:43 AM »
To be fair we started well with a good win at Bournemouth and despite some losses we at that stage weren't the time that finished the season. For over an hour we were well on top at Leicester and if you were told then that one team would go on and win the league and the other be the laughing stock of the division you wouldn't have guessed which way round it would have been. Half an hour later you might, though. But from there I don't think Sherwood recovered and he and the club just fell apart.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 01:14:27 PM »
To be fair we started well with a good win at Bournemouth and despite some losses we at that stage weren't the time that finished the season. For over an hour we were well on top at Leicester and if you were told then that one team would go on and win the league and the other be the laughing stock of the division you wouldn't have guessed which way round it would have been. Half an hour later you might, though. But from there I don't think Sherwood recovered and he and the club just fell apart.

There was a real sliding doors moment for me in that Leicester game.  It was leading 2-0 half way through the second half, he took off Gil who had scored the second goal and looked very good and brought on Ayew who, at the time, was woefully out of form and struggling to adapt to English football.  This and the fact the worst idea possible was to bring on a striker!  It really shaped both of our seasons after that.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »
I just...I'm still embarrassed that we were managed by Sherwood. At least all the other failures had actual management experience and weren't utter gobshites. Sherwood though. The memory still stings.
Strange as it might sound, his tenure was the only time i've really been embarrassed by the club.

Not at the start.....we picked up in the league and had some really good performances....4-0 at Sunderland, 1-0 at Spurs, 3-2 against Everton, the cup semi, even the 3-2 defeat at Man. City we were pretty good and for the first time in years we looked a decent and competitive premier league team (a bit like Swansea atm).

That time gave me far more hope than really any stage of the Lambert era that we were slowly moving forwards....but then 6-1 at Southampton, the cup final and key players leaving all happened and he got found out the next season...no defence from me there.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »
I just...I'm still embarrassed that we were managed by Sherwood. At least all the other failures had actual management experience and weren't utter gobshites. Sherwood though. The memory still stings.
Strange as it might sound, his tenure was the only time i've really been embarrassed by the club.

Yup. It was the point at which we went from a club that just made bad decisions into a club that didn't even care enough to bother thinking about the decision they were making.

Idiocy at every possible level.

I honestly didn't think it was that terrible decision at the time. The likes of Pulis and Big Sam were in employment and Sherwood's win ratio at Spurs was still fresh in the memory so we gambled he could provide a short term fix and he did and we stayed up even before the final game which looked very unlikely when Lambert left.

Sadly he showed also why giving him a 3 year deal wasn't the brightest idea although I'd imagine Lerner would've just given him a new deal like he did with Lambert.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 11:12:11 PM »

Yup. It was the point at which we went from a club that just made bad decisions into a club that didn't even care enough to bother thinking about the decision they were making.

Idiocy at every possible level.

I honestly didn't think it was that terrible decision at the time. The likes of Pulis and Big Sam were in employment and Sherwood's win ratio at Spurs was still fresh in the memory so we gambled he could provide a short term fix and he did and we stayed up even before the final game which looked very unlikely when Lambert left.

Sadly he showed also why giving him a 3 year deal wasn't the brightest idea although I'd imagine Lerner would've just given him a new deal like he did with Lambert.

In fairness to Timmy, after Lambert's last game at Hull we looked nailed on certs for relegation. Timmy with his breezy attitude lifted a few heads, dispensed bland platitudes to his media mates, chatted with Sav on the couch after games and we got a few key players playing. He was the anti dour Lambert with all his faux positivity and for a short time it worked. An extra year in the top division, cup run and the rise in Benteke's value all probably made the club a fair whack of cash. If the club had let Timmy go then, he probably would have taken the cash and pitched himself as the next Big Sam type managerial rescue act.

However he finished his own management career in a matter of months with his laughable apprentice act on the sideline last season. All the warnings Spurs fans had regarding leaking of stories to the media unsurprisingly repeated themselves quite quickly as we struggled. The signing of part time footballer Micah Richards as a centre half and captain on a four year deal, probably the worst in the history of the club or any club.

A truly toxic individual who has no business being involved in the management of football clubs at any level. Sitting on the MOTD couch with Wrighty and the boys would be more his game although even at that he seemed out of his depth. Funnily, despite being employed by Swindon, he still was hungry enough to take Sky's coin recently to be a pundit for the QPR v Villa game. Terry Venables without any ability really.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »
Terry Venables had a lot of ability, only not all of it was football-related.

See 'Broken Dreams' by Tom Bower for details.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 09:50:58 PM »
The reception he got on the pitch at qpr from about 3000 of us says A bit diff from what is reading on here

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »
I liked Dim but Tim, but also knew it was only a fling, was never going to turn into a marriage of any substance, one thing thou, he was the only person so far who managed to get a more regular tune out of Jack.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal