collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chester 2 v 2 Villa League Cup 74/75  (Read 3923 times)

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
Chester 2 v 2 Villa League Cup 74/75
« on: February 07, 2017, 12:44:21 AM »
Chester v Villa

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pictures-rare-images-chester-fcs-8538531

This was played on the car radio, for all Villa fans going to the game.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:17:02 PM by b23 »

Offline castlefields_villan

Re: Chester 2 v 2 Villa League Cup 74/75
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »
I think pictures 11 and 12 are against West Ham ?

I remember both games well - tremendously exciting - this was right at the start of that tremendous surge to promotion and the league cup as well as a decent FA Cup run in the second half of that famous 1974-75 season.  Didn't we play Sheffield United (then a top 6 First Division side and for whom a quality player once scored a quality goal) the following Saturday in the 4th Round of the FA Cup ?

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:00:13 PM »
Special was diverted and got there about 15 mins before ko, iirc. 5-600 of us running through the streets trying to make the start. Paid 50p for a 10p programme, off a bloke in the crowd!.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 07:53:47 PM »
remember going there by coach everyone pestering the driver to pull in at Hilton services where there was few other coaches stopping for the gents then realising there was about 4 coaches of manyoo fans on there way over to Norwich for the other semi on the other side of the motorway
to put it mildly all hell broke loose

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 08:58:01 PM »
For those of you who are too young to remember that 1975 League Cup win over Norwich, take the time to have a look at the final below.  The players you have only heard about from us old 'uns are there for you to see just how good they were.  Remember, at the time of this match, we were still a second division team.  Have a look at how good Graydon and Little were.  See also the defensive qualities of Chris Nicholl and Ian Ross, the non-stop running and work ethic of Frank Carrodus.  These boys were a taste of things to come.  Every man that day was superb.  What a centre forward Keith Leonard could have been but for injury.

We as a crowd, did what we do best, we got behind the team and throughout the footage all you can here is: Villa, Villa.  What's left of my hair still stands up when I think of it.  At the end as the Norwich team leaves the field, you can hear: Norwich, Norwich, that was us as well as what was left of the Norwich support.  A tremendous day.

I managed to get my old man a ticket for that game, the only time he ever got to Wembley, he was a sick man then and died three years later but, he died having seen his team win at Wembley.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 09:33:46 PM »
Didn't go  to either leg but was on the national coach from Victoria  to Digburth  for Sheff  Utd

As Wolves would say those  were the days my friends.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 02:03:18 PM »
For those of you who are too young to remember that 1975 League Cup win over Norwich, take the time to have a look at the final below.  The players you have only heard about from us old 'uns are there for you to see just how good they were.  Remember, at the time of this match, we were still a second division team.  Have a look at how good Graydon and Little were.  See also the defensive qualities of Chris Nicholl and Ian Ross, the non-stop running and work ethic of Frank Carrodus.  These boys were a taste of things to come.  Every man that day was superb.  What a centre forward Keith Leonard could have been but for injury.

We as a crowd, did what we do best, we got behind the team and throughout the footage all you can here is: Villa, Villa.  What's left of my hair still stands up when I think of it.  At the end as the Norwich team leaves the field, you can hear: Norwich, Norwich, that was us as well as what was left of the Norwich support.  A tremendous day.

I managed to get my old man a ticket for that game, the only time he ever got to Wembley, he was a sick man then and died three years later but, he died having seen his team win at Wembley.

Great link Dave. That was a special day- the first winning trip to Wembley for teenagers of the time. It'seems remembered as a dour sort of final but some of our second half play shows how relentlessly we attacked. Frank Carrodus -how many miles did he cover for the team?

I was just by the white tunnel behind the goal and still remember the age it seemed to take for Ray Gaydon to control that rebound before scoring.

The day afterwards there was a civic reception at a rain lashed Victoria Square - not as crowded as expected as it clashed with the highlights being shown on TV. But then they took the cup back to Villa Park for a further reception which, in the gloom of a rainy late afternoon ,  was a lovely bringing together of fans and club. As you say - that was just the foundation of an incredible period of time for Villa supporters.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 02:40:25 PM »
Were Norwich 1st or 2nd division at the time?

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 04:27:04 PM »
Were Norwich 1st or 2nd division at the time?

Norwich were in the 2nd division with us at the time - it was and still remains the only major cup final to be played between two non top division sides.   Norwich were promoted in 3rd place behind Man Utd and ourselves - however we spoilt their last game promotion party by winning 4-1 at Carrow Road and their celebrations were muted to say the least !

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 04:29:35 PM »

Great link Dave. That was a special day- the first winning trip to Wembley for teenagers of the time. It'seems remembered as a dour sort of final but some of our second half play shows how relentlessly we attacked. Frank Carrodus -how many miles did he cover for the team?

I was just by the white tunnel behind the goal and still remember the age it seemed to take for Ray Gaydon to control that rebound before scoring.

The day afterwards there was a civic reception at a rain lashed Victoria Square - not as crowded as expected as it clashed with the highlights being shown on TV. But then they took the cup back to Villa Park for a further reception which, in the gloom of a rainy late afternoon ,  was a lovely bringing together of fans and club. As you say - that was just the foundation of an incredible period of time for Villa supporters.

Superbly put guys - I was 17 at the time and as you say for anyone under about 25 at the time it was the first Wembley win.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 05:25:45 PM »
I remember John bond making some daft comments which made look silly afterwards. Mind you I always thought of him as being daft. Cannery killer Aston villa

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »
Great day out, my first Wembley visit. John Bond didn't like many managers as I recall, but Ron Saunders had managed Norwich a couple of years previous so there was a bit of an edge to the final. " A much relieved Ray Graydon was there to slot it home"

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »
Michael Owen's Dad scored for Chester.

Offline steamer

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »
Bond was a media luverly
On the Sunday match review Bond waffled about mock rivalry and all in good spirit
Ron just stared at him.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »
I think pictures 11 and 12 are against West Ham ?

I remember both games well - tremendously exciting - this was right at the start of that tremendous surge to promotion and the league cup as well as a decent FA Cup run in the second half of that famous 1974-75 season.  Didn't we play Sheffield United (then a top 6 First Division side and for whom a quality player once scored a quality goal) the following Saturday in the 4th Round of the FA Cup ?

Yes, we played a very good Sheffield United side in the FA Cup and thumped them 4-1.  This game doesn't get written about that much, but our performance that day was as good if not better than any other in that magnificent season.  In his programme notes for the last game of the season, Ron Saunders wrote this:

"We have taken each game as it has come, climbed each mountain as it has appeared.  And it has helped so much to know that you have willed us on so magnificently.  I remember vividly the standing ovation you gave the lads at half time in the FA Cup tie with Sheffield United; it was a warm and solid wall of approval, not just a noise.."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal