collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sammy Morgan - a request  (Read 9502 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

Re: Sammy Morgan - a request
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 12:58:45 PM »
Oddly enough I was only thinking while I was sat daydreaming in my office that it was 43 years ago this week since that unforgettable night when Big Sam and Alun Evans scored the goals that beat an Arsenal team that was riding high in the old first division while we struggled to finish just below half way and of course that signalled the end of Vic Crowe's time as manager.

A brilliant night - Villa kicking towards the Holte End in the first half and an early goal by Sammy set us on the road.

As I'm sure has been already mentioned - the atmosphere was white hot that night.

Happy Birthday Sammy.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 01:32:29 PM »
Lovely fella
22;50 starts to talk about his time at villa

Thanks for posting that. As you say, what an absolutely lovely fella. I'll watch the other videos you posted over the weekend.

Happy Birthday, Sammy.

Online Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »

A brilliant night - Villa kicking towards the Holte End in the first half and an early goal by Sammy set us on the road.

I bet Bob Wilson loved that decision! The volume of the derision aimed at him as he took his place in front of the Holte was incredible (and justified). He really started jittery  and must have been anticipating the first Sammy Morgan challenge with trepidation.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »
In an era when wearing  the Villa number 9 shirt was a big responsibility, Sammy wore it manfully.
Top bloke.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 05:07:52 PM »
Not sure if i've remembered right but didn't he have a long throw that we quite often used him for.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »
Does anyone have the links to either of the 74 cup games against the arse

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 06:59:05 PM »
He provided a couple of us with complimentary tickets on a midweek trip to Hull. Had a chat with him, really pleasant softly spoken guy - opposite to his playing persona!
Another memory from that night was the aroma of fish wafting over from the docks!!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »

As mentioned on a previous Sammy Morgan thread...
The Highbury game was televised and shown on LWTs Big Match. The games were played during the power crisis,  the BBC cameras were at the replay, but highlights of the match were not shown that night (or were shown for maybe 5 minutes only), as television transmission shut down at about 10pm.
I've never found any links on the internet to either game, hopefully the tapes were not wiped and will maybe turn up one day.

Offline steamer

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 03:58:08 AM »
I was also at both games.
The return at VP is amongst my top memories, Villa ran out first and went down to the Witton end.
which meant Wilson had to warm up in front of the Holte. Villa Park was a cauldron, by the time it kicked off Wilson was a wreck, "Wilson wants an Oscar" being the most repeatable chant.
Fairy tale time as Sammy scores.
Another Memory, although a bit vaguer, after the Antwerp game away, we were on a bar crawl. I can not remember if it was in a hotel or bar but we stumbled in and having a drink was, Phillips, cumbes, Gidman and Morgan probably others (Bernie help out). Sammy said, or words to the effect " I have had every goalkeeper in the first division except cumbes, but if he plays again like he did tonight I will have him as well"
True legend.
Happy Birthday Sammy

Offline Carl

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2017, 08:43:30 AM »
Hi everyone - thank you for the many wonderful comments about Sammy. He is my father-in-law and we are trying to put together a scrap book with as many memories as possible from his playing days for his 70th brithday celebration. His time at VP was certainly the highlight of his career and he always talks fondly of his time there.
The comments are great, and we will certainly be including a few of them in the book - does anyone have any images / newspaper clippings or anything else of Sammy from his time at VP?
Anything would be appreciated. We have some bits and pieces, particularly some of the stuff from the Arsenal cup tie. But if anyone has anything else, happy to pay postage / can forward on my email.
Much appreciated and I know Sammy would be most grateful as well.
Kind regards all!
Carl

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
One of those players you would hate playing for the opposition, but oh so glad he was playing for the Villa. 6ft 2 eyes of blue, Happy Birthday Sammy.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »
Not sure if it was just us but we always referred to him as Sam the Wham. I was at Highbury and will always remember Wilson totally losing it after a bit of Sams 'geeing up'. Many happy returns big fella.

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2017, 09:40:04 AM »
I was also at both games.
The return at VP is amongst my top memories, Villa ran out first and went down to the Witton end.
which meant Wilson had to warm up in front of the Holte. Villa Park was a cauldron, by the time it kicked off Wilson was a wreck, "Wilson wants an Oscar" being the most repeatable chant.
Fairy tale time as Sammy scores.
Another Memory, although a bit vaguer, after the Antwerp game away, we were on a bar crawl. I can not remember if it was in a hotel or bar but we stumbled in and having a drink was, Phillips, cumbes, Gidman and Morgan probably others (Bernie help out). Sammy said, or words to the effect " I have had every goalkeeper in the first division except cumbes, but if he plays again like he did tonight I will have him as well"
True legend..
Happy Birthday Sammy
It was a bar in Antwerp; I can't remember exactly which players other than the ones mentioned were there, I think Frank Pimblett was there and came over as a bit if a miserable sod. I do remember Sammy & Cumbes seemed to be particularly good mates and were pouring beer over each other's heads.
Happy Birthday Sammy

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 04:24:28 PM »

I bet Bob Wilson loved that decision! The volume of the derision aimed at him as he took his place in front of the Holte was incredible (and justified). He really started jittery  and must have been anticipating the first Sammy Morgan challenge with trepidation.

I can't remember now whose decision it was to play that way - for as long as I remember Villa kicking towards the Holte End in the second half has always been the preference.  It would be interesting to see who kicked off in the first half ?

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »

As mentioned on a previous Sammy Morgan thread...
The Highbury game was televised and shown on LWTs Big Match. The games were played during the power crisis,  the BBC cameras were at the replay, but highlights of the match were not shown that night (or were shown for maybe 5 minutes only), as television transmission shut down at about 10pm.
I've never found any links on the internet to either game, hopefully the tapes were not wiped and will maybe turn up one day.

I remember this being the days of the 3 day working week (I'd just started work a few weeks earlier) and we had to do most of our 38 hour week on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays when we could have the heating and lighting on and we did short days on Thursdays and Fridays.

I also remember the tv shutting down at 10.00pm, but I also remember coming home (absolutely delirious) and watching the highlights on tv - if it was a 7.30pm kick off (or was it 7.15pm because of the energy crisis ?) it couldn't have finished until 9.10pm - anyone remember night games finishing around then ?   It was always an hour or so after the game finished that I got home to Great Barr, so something doesn't add up somewhere.

I've searched Utube more than once for anything on the replay, if anyone ever comes across anything, please, please, please put the link on here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal