collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sammy Morgan - a request  (Read 9548 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: Sammy Morgan - a request
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
Scored the first goal I ever saw at Villa Park.  6th October 1973.

Offline murfee

• GM : 15.05.2015
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »
Lovely fella
22;50 starts to talk about his time at villa

part 2

part 3
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:27:17 PM by murfee »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 06:47:34 PM »
That incredibly-wet Wednesday evening of the replay was one of my all-time memories of Villa Park as a rocking place. It pulsated that evening with the tension from the previous Saturday and the arrival in town of the Arse: one of the game's Big Teams (they had, after all, won the double three years' earlier; still a big deal back in them days).
Along with the 1970 LC semi against Manure, the cup replay against the Arse was proof-positive of the impact of a home crowd: the atmosphere was simply awesome, and Bob Wilson had a virtual hiding from us! We still had to play well in dreadful conditions but we prevailed thanks to big Sammy Morgan and a screamer from Bruce Rioch.
We went to high-flying, first-division Burnley in the next round and lost 1-0. I was there, along with around 8,000 Villa fans; a magical away day (despite being pelted with golf balls by those pesky northerners!).

Morgan was one of those strikers - like McInally - who always won their supporters over with 100% effort and honesty: he roughed up the opposition and, like a prize fighter, would go toe-to-toe in order to win his battle with the oppo centre backs.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 07:11:47 PM »
i thought alun evans got the 2nd.
was at highbury with my granddad and bob Wilson was a disgrace that day just didn't like being roughed up by big Sam.
the replay at vp was a magical night the noise that night was unbelievable. about 40 of us from rubery got the school coach driver to take us to the game in the school coach we  had a whip round and he was happy as larry.
Sammy morgan that night gave us one of those performances that will stay with you for as long as you live if any young players need to know how to play the centre forward role then get a video of that night.
happy birthday big Sammy morgan a true legend

Offline DesBremner

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »
That incredibly-wet Wednesday evening of the replay was one of my all-time memories of Villa Park as a rocking place. It pulsated that evening with the tension from the previous Saturday and the arrival in town of the Arse: one of the game's Big Teams (they had, after all, won the double three years' earlier; still a big deal back in them days).
Along with the 1970 LC semi against Manure, the cup replay against the Arse was proof-positive of the impact of a home crowd: the atmosphere was simply awesome, and Bob Wilson had a virtual hiding from us! We still had to play well in dreadful conditions but we prevailed thanks to big Sammy Morgan and a screamer from Bruce Rioch.
We went to high-flying, first-division Burnley in the next round and lost 1-0. I was there, along with around 8,000 Villa fans; a magical away day (despite being pelted with golf balls by those pesky northerners!).

Morgan was one of those strikers - like McInally - who always won their supporters over with 100% effort and honesty: he roughed up the opposition and, like a prize fighter, would go toe-to-toe in order to win his battle with the oppo centre backs.

This was my first night game at Villa Park
I can still see the bright green grass, yellow shirts of the Arsenal and Sammy marauding away
He was on Football Focus on the Saturday before/ or after and I remember he wore glasses and my Uncle on the way to the game calling him "Professor Sammy"
Happy Days

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 07:45:10 PM »

Absolutely this!

Was saying to my mate at the Preston game...I wish we had someone like Sammy Morgan in the team...he'd give the team and the crowd a massive lift.

Happy Birthday Sammy!

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 07:49:52 PM »
Remembering Sammy brings a smile and happy memories.
I had already spent a joyful night on the Holte in what one reporter called a wall of 10K fans and 20K fingers howling at Bob Wilson every time he went near either the ball or a player when I was lucky enough to meet Sammy at a mutual friend’s party.
Sitting quietly in a corner with his wife and wearing specs was ‘6 foot 2 eyes of blue’, the scourge of defenders and goalkeepers and what a nice couple they were.
On another occasion he kept us entertained in the kitchen playing a squeeze box.  Always friendly and good company.
I understand that he later became a school teacher and I think, worked for Norwich with the youngsters. 
Thanks Sammy, have a good birthday, you deserve it.

Online john2710

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »
The atmosphere that Weds night at Villa Park is etched into my memory. I've had many great nights there over the years but that night was extra special. The injustice of what happened a few days earlier, the opportunity to put one over on Arsenal and let the country know we were still a massive club. The whole ground and Sammy gave Wilson a dogs life & it was extra sweet that Wilson's error lead to Sammy's goal.

image url

My other memory of Sammy was a hat-trick against Hull few weeks into our promotion season. I think he was injured shortly after that.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »
Wasn't Vic Crowe unaware that he wore glasses until Bill Shankly told him during a phone call? The story was in Children of the Revolution.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 09:01:46 PM »
My other memory of Sammy was a hat-trick against Hull few weeks into our promotion season. I think he was injured shortly after that.

Sammy started the season in fine form partnering Brian Little, then Bobby Campbell and finally Keith Leonard before Brian returned. We had a great team coming together but our strikers were always getting injured. At one point a young lad called Betts was brought in as we had all our strikers injured. I think Sammy's last game for us was a defeat at Fulham which was a rare defeat with Sammy in the side.

As for the Arsenal game, even though I was a nipper I remember it for so many reasons; my first time on the Holte (my Dad preferred the Witton). Only today, over 40 years later, reading the report below did I understand why we went in the Holte - it was pissing down that night. Having watched the Holte in awe from the Witton End, I really was lucky to be in there on such a special night. There was times when my feet weren't on the floor, I got separated from my Dad but somebody would grab me by the scuff of the neck and pull me back up. The noise was like nothing I'd ever heard before. It was everything I'd ever imagined it to be only better. There was no going back to the Witton End after that game. I was hooked.

I can still to this day see Sammy's goal, a cracking diving header in front of the Holte. Either there's a B&W photo of him in mid-air or the image is ingrained on my brain. Possibly both. The other photo of Sammy that stays with me was I think in the Villa programme - Sammy in a pair of jam jar specs. Very Michael Caine but bloody hell! Sammy Four Eyes!

Sammy vs Bob Wilson Match reports
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:04:35 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 09:04:27 PM »
6 foot 2, eyes of blue, Villa legend through and through!!
One of my first Villa heroes. Happy birthday Sammy Morgan. I was always proud to sing your name for the Villa cause.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
I was gutted when Andy Lochhead had moved on/was not good enough and delighted when Sammy arrived. Happy Birthday Sammy.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »
I heard his name on a bus somewhere in Erdington. I asked my mom who he was and she said he played for the Villa. It's one of my first memories of the club.

So even though I never saw him play he's forever part of my football club.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 10:15:24 PM »
I was at the famous Highbury game aged about 12, went for a piss and Sammy had scored by the time I got back.  Went for another piss (too much pre-match pop)  and Sammy was off.  So I missed the two biggest incidents and Sammy's most famous moments.  The replay was pure panto with Wilson as the villain.  He looked like he'd rather be anywhere else in the universe, especially when Sammy was within 5 yards of him.  I almost felt sorry for him, but not quite. A cracking night.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »
Gary Shaw had a Labrador named Sam after Sammy Morgan when we were kids

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal