collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:35:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 08:34:57 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:34:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 08:34:24 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 08:33:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 08:33:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 08:33:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sammy Morgan - a request  (Read 9552 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Sammy Morgan - a request
« on: February 02, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »
He's 70 soon and his family would like a few reminiscences about him. So - get reminiscing.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Sammy Morgan - a request
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:04:01 PM »
You do know it's mandatory for a Villa fan of a certain age if they ever meet Bob Wilson to ask him if he remembers Sammy Morgan. It actually isn't mandatory, Bob Wilson probably thinks it is though. 

Offline Confusious says

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
Was there at Highbury on the Bob Wilson dying swan act he went on the ground and then looked up to see if ref was watching and then proceeded to be poleaxed. The return game at home Bob Wilson got pilloried & booed mercilessly I think the ref was Clive Thomas but remember Sammy as a good pro, think his song was 6 foot 2 eyes of  Blue Sammy Morgan's after you la la la la la la la la la
Thought he used to be a teacher.!

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Was there at Highbury on the Bob Wilson dying swan act he went on the ground and then looked up to see if ref was watching and then proceeded to be poleaxed. The return game at home Bob Wilson got pilloried & booed mercilessly I think the ref was Clive Thomas but remember Sammy as a good pro, think his song was 6 foot 2 eyes of  Blue Sammy Morgan's after you la la la la la la la la la

Bob Wilson walked past the bus we were on as we were waiting to park at Wembley for a cup final in the 1990's - everyone on bus sang that song and he scurried off to get away from us. He looked worried to death.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »

He went to teacher training college in Nottingham with my sister-in-law, but I don't know if he finished the course or not, nor whether he actually got a teaching job.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 04:19:44 PM »
A worthy, brave successor to Andy Lochhead. As a student in London I'd didn't get to see him play very often, but was there at Highbury and immediately warmed to the guy, not just for footballing reasons but for refusing to hide against a far more exalted side that most reckoned we had no chance against.

Happy Birthday Sammy.

Offline papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
I'm sure that Sammy would admit that he wasn't the most skillful but he was fully committed from the moment he walked onto the pitch and we loved him for that. He wouldn't hide and bust a gut for the club while he was here. We would benefit with the same attitude from the players today. Mind you if he was playing today he'd probably be sent off in most games.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »
I wrote this for H&V a few years ago:
Emotions were strong during the FA Cup game at Highbury in 1974, though in a nastier way. Arsenal were a division above us while we were enduring a season of struggle which would end with the sacking of manager Vic Crowe. We had little chance, it seemed. The match turned on the explosive confrontation between our striker Sammy Morgan and the opposition keeper Bob Wilson. Morgan, a bustling, aggressive centre-forward of the old school, gave Villa the lead with a diving header and with his physical presence was a constant threat to Wilson. I had never fully understood the expression “hopping mad” until I saw Wilson literally jumping up and down in anger as he protested to the referee about Morgan’s challenges. Finally, Wilson went down and stayed down, and Morgan was sent off.  Villa’s players and fans were convinced that the keeper was faking injury and the atmosphere at the Clock End became quite unpleasant and violent. By this time Arsenal had equalised but Villa’s ten men, with the large away contingent applauding every kick and every tackle, held on for a deserved draw.

You could have written the script in advance for the replay at Villa Park a few days later. The atmosphere was electric, with almost 48,000 fans packed into the stadium on a midweek evening. Wilson was jeered and Morgan cheered throughout the game and it was, of course, Sammy Morgan who headed the decisive first goal in a 2-0 win.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »
I was at both games and, have posted on here before about Sammy.  I was, like everyone at the clock-end that day, incensed at Bob Wilson's behaviour.  I was more incensed with the behaviour of that show pony referee Clive Thomas.  When he made the decision to send off Sammy he was still in the centre circle so he was actually guessing at what had happened.  Both men should be ashamed, even today.  Unforgivable.

I remember the replay and Bob Wilson was shit scared because every time Sammy went anywhere near him, not only was he under pressure from him, he was under pressure from the majority of the crowd.  For all the younger posters on here who wonder what a near full (standing terraces) Villa Park was like when the crowd were excited, this match is one that stands out.

Happy birthday Sam, a relatively brief Villa career but one that will always be remembered for that match and, wholehearted commitment every time you played.

I think his son posted on here a couple of years ago giving us an update on him.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 05:03:45 PM »
My first recollection is that Sammy Morgan was an international at Villa in an era when we had very few of them. I think he and Chris Nicholl were the first two internationals I saw playing for us.

The Arsenal cup tie was probably his defining moment for us, but in reality he was doing no more or less than he did in every game for Villa. It just so happened that these two games were caught on tv in an era when few games were.

I recall the affection with which he was held, notably his chant referred to above, and as he walked through the concourse at Wembley prior to the League Cup final in 1996 he was spotted and suddenly found hundreds of Villa fans singing his song. He seemed touched and embarrassed in equal measure.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 05:20:55 PM »
6'2" was at the recent 70's book signing top gent. Wish I had a recording of the cup tie I was stood in the north bank with my old school caretaker Eric crow who was a massive arsenal fan his brother was the one with the massive Union Jack. Anyway sammy was definitely one of my first villa heros. Happy birthday big fella

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 05:21:35 PM »
Sammy Morgan hard working fearless centre forward loved by most always seemed to be busting a gut happy birthday

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
If I remember correctly my first game at VP was in January 1974 in the 3rd round of the FA cup against Chester City. Villa won 3-1 and Sammy Morgan got 2 goals - one a diving header at the Holte End..

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 06:03:02 PM »
Could we link this with the Sammy Morgan v Bob Wilson thread from a few years back ?

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=45959.0

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 06:13:52 PM »
Sammy was an old fashioned, no nonsense centre forward. He was hard as nails on the pitch but wore glasses off it. I was a schoolboy when Sammy played for Villa. My abiding memory of him was from another game against Arsenal at Villa Park. Our later to be legendary keeper Jimmy Rimmer was in goal for them at the time. A cross came over from the left, a high one in the air on the six yard line and both Jimmy and Sammy challenged for the ball. I think the keeper got his hands to the ball first but such was the force of Sammy's aerial challenge, Rimmer ended up spreadeagled in the back of the net and required treatment before he could continue. Nothing dirty, just full on hard. Sammy was a player from another era, whole hearted and physical. Happy Birthday Sammy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal