collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January Blues (no, not them!)  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
The January Blues (no, not them!)
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:39:46 AM »
It's a very rare post on me from here today, but something came to me last night as I was watching the truly inept performance against Brentford last night and I was wondering if anybody else had noticed it too - or whether it was just some way of trying to ease the pain of last night.

For as long as I can remember now, we have been shocking in January. Ok, granted, the last few seasons have been horrific and January hasn't really had the opportunity to stand out, but even in (what seems like now...) the halcyon days of MON, we suffered huge form dips in January.

It might be totally irrelevant - but can anybody either prove or disprove that we suffer from a traditional bad run of form post New Year?

Chris

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: The January Blues (no, not them!)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »
I think we are normally shite in December, particularly around Christmas, more than January. March was, famously, O'Neill worst month.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
January is the time when clubs with a good team get found out and clubs with a good squad kick on. Players are tired, injuries and clocking up bans start kicking in, AFCON etc. Look at Liverpool, Arsenal etc  great teams for challenging, not so good squads for the top.

We failed under MON because he was so reliant on 11 players, they just couldnt do it for a whole season.
Recently we have had an ok first team with a few star men and a poor back up squad

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »
I remember late 90's we were top at Christmas under Gregory I think it was. 98 maybe? I used to work with a load of Chelsea fans and remember the boss saying to me it will never last. Sure enough, it all turned to shit in Jan for us.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »
I think the period August to May has been pretty poor for the last few seasons

Offline MarkM

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
I remember late 90's we were top at Christmas under Gregory I think it was. 98 maybe? I used to work with a load of Chelsea fans and remember the boss saying to me it will never last. Sure enough, it all turned to shit in Jan for us.

i think it was the 3-0 home win against Everton that season that gave the impression that something was wrong. I pretty sure our performances after that were pretty abject.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal