collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269723 times)

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #1230 on: October 12, 2018, 12:25:05 AM »
Hogan has to take a little responsibility himself, he signed for Villa knowing Bruce was the manager and knowing how Bruce's Villa (the same as every other Bruce team in history) played, did he ask how he would fit in or if the team would be playing to his strengths or did he just see the £££s on the contract.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1231 on: October 12, 2018, 12:43:08 AM »
Hogan has to take a little responsibility himself, he signed for Villa knowing Bruce was the manager and knowing how Bruce's Villa (the same as every other Bruce team in history) played, did he ask how he would fit in or if the team would be playing to his strengths or did he just see the £££s on the contract.

Not really.

"Do you want to come to work for us, we'll pay you £4 million over a three year contract"
"Yes, but what if I'm unsuitable for the culture of the organisation and the move turns out to be bad for both of us?"
"You will still be entitled to the full £4 million. And that's on top of all the cash you must have had piling up while you were playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels six years ago, before you got your big money move to Ashton United."

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1232 on: October 12, 2018, 05:49:02 AM »
Hogan points out what we all could see, he can't play as the loan striker. He needs to play as part of a front two and I could see him working well with Abraham. The problem is I can't work out how you get a system with two up front and Jack in the team. Over to the new manager.

He played as a lone striker for Brentford

I think I've posted this about five times on this thread now so should probably stop

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1233 on: October 12, 2018, 05:53:34 AM »
Hogan points out what we all could see, he can't play as the loan striker. He needs to play as part of a front two and I could see him working well with Abraham. The problem is I can't work out how you get a system with two up front and Jack in the team. Over to the new manager.

He played as a lone striker for Brentford

I think I've posted this about five times on this thread now so should probably stop

Absolutely. Hogan could work just fine as a loan striker as long as the midfield is given licence to get forward and support him, something they never had under Bruce.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1234 on: October 12, 2018, 06:37:14 AM »
There are a couple of things here. Firstly, we don't only have to play one way. More importantly it tells you all you need to know about Bruce and his bollocks re tracking Hogan for years and the outright lies about his fitness in press conferences.

I stick by my assessment that Bruce is a chancer and a bullshitter, with the squad building capacity of a hermit.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1235 on: October 12, 2018, 07:11:13 AM »
Or

Players have a tendency to overstate their level of fitness because they want to play

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1236 on: October 12, 2018, 07:28:35 AM »
or that the truth is somewhere between the two.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1237 on: October 12, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »
Scott’s problem is that if we build a system to accommodate one forward, he’s not good enough to be it.

I disagree, he was a free scoring forward at Brentford. Bruce had no confidence in him, no wonder Hogan got fed up. Interesting that Scott said he's been ready to play for 5 weeks. Bruce kept saying "he's not quite ready" for the last month or so. Bruce has gone down in my estimation.

Bruce's bullshit about players almost always coincides with a transfer window. If Hogan was fit 5 weeks ago then the board may not have let him sign Tammy, so lie about it and then leave Hogan in limbo for another month to prove that we had to get Tammy in.  Think back, he fucked us up in the striker department in his first window to ensure he got the money for Hogan, he spoke about building his team around Grealish at 10 as soon as he got injured (despite giving him about 10 minutes there in the 9-10 months to that point) so he could get Snodgrass. Kodjia was probably out for the rest of the season in Early December before coming back into full training at the end of Feb and eing available for the last 8-9 games. I'm fairly sure he said something about Jedinak before we signed Whelan as well.

Interesting theory. Surely though Xia and Wyness could've just had a work with the physio to see what the real state of fitness was.

I maintain SB just looked at the championship scoring charts, saw Hogan's name, thought he must be good and signed him. Similar to us getting in McCormack.

A name for this level without any idea how to fit him into the system as he now confirms.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1238 on: October 12, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »

A friend of mine, a Brentford supporter told me that the money received for Hogan went quite a long way towards keeping Brentford afloat so he may just have been encouraged to join us, wages notwithstanding.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1239 on: October 12, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »

A friend of mine, a Brentford supporter told me that the money received for Hogan went quite a long way towards keeping Brentford afloat so he may just have been encouraged to join us, wages notwithstanding.

Maybe they should name a stand after him them in their new stadium.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:45:29 AM by DB »

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #1240 on: October 12, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
I think that’s fair enough from Hogan and most pertinent is to remember Bruce bought him and claimed he’d watched him for years. If you want anymore evidence around Bruce’s incompetence it’s purchasing Hogan and then playing a game completely unsuited to him.
Nails Bruce completely.A striker needs a supply line.Ours was launching the ball or getting crosses in.Anyone who watched Hogan for 30 minutes,would realise he was not suited to that style.Either adapt the style or don't waste a big transfer fee on such a player.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #1241 on: October 12, 2018, 11:34:52 AM »

Also remember Brentford took a decent fee so they didn't really want to turn that down did they .
Player would not have been averse to coming villa but Brentford taking £12 to 15 million was what they are about .
A business sense move

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1242 on: October 13, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »
I think that’s fair enough from Hogan and most pertinent is to remember Bruce bought him and claimed he’d watched him for years. If you want anymore evidence around Bruce’s incompetence it’s purchasing Hogan and then playing a game completely unsuited to him.
Nails Bruce completely.A striker needs a supply line.Ours was launching the ball or getting crosses in.Anyone who watched Hogan for 30 minutes,would realise he was not suited to that style.Either adapt the style or don't waste a big transfer fee on such a player.

It really was a very odd transfer

Bruce had even spent the previous two months talking about a target man, and wanting to play Kodjia wide. He even tried to play Gabby there.

And then he signed Hogan. It just never seemed to make sense. And that was borne out

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #1243 on: October 13, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
Also remember Brentford took a decent fee so they didn't really want to turn that down did they .
Player would not have been averse to coming villa but Brentford taking £12 to 15 million was what they are about .
A business sense move

More like 9m i believe

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1244 on: October 13, 2018, 03:23:55 PM »
Doesn't Dean play with one up front? If so Scott's going to slug it out with Abraham with Kodjia on the left and Bolasie (when fully fit) on the right.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal