collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 269663 times)

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #510 on: August 16, 2017, 10:49:53 PM »
I like him. I think he can do very well after Bruce is gone and he is played correctly. Agree about his injuries though, I do hope this is a short term one.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2017, 10:50:36 PM »
He certainly has the air of a luckless forward. Hitting the keeper constantly when one-on-one, stretching to and nearly getting his toe on crosses and always getting injured when he starts to get a run of starts.

Don't really think it's going to happen for him here but still time to prove me wrong.

Someone compared him last season to Gary Penrice and it's a comparison that has really stuck with me.  He works hard but has absolutely no impact on the game at all. 

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #512 on: August 16, 2017, 10:59:41 PM »
Hogan looked pretty good at Brentford comes to B6 and seems to have forgotten everything he knows. Meanwhile I'm watching Scott Sinclair playing for Celtic and slotting away goals in the Champions league. He's doing the same as Hogan in reverse. Wtf happens to players when they come to the Villa?

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #513 on: August 16, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »
I think Hogan depends more on the team around him than most strikers. I imagine he'll be really effective in a team that actually passes the ball. It seems Bruce just looked at goals scored and signed him on that rather than thinking he may need the right service around him. Kodjia only gets away with it under Bruce because he's such a good individual talent.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #514 on: August 16, 2017, 11:56:01 PM »
I think Hogan depends more on the team around him than most strikers. I imagine he'll be really effective in a team that actually passes the ball. It seems Bruce just looked at goals scored and signed him on that rather than thinking he may need the right service around him. Kodjia only gets away with it under Bruce because he's such a good individual talent.

See also Di Matteo and McCormack.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #515 on: August 16, 2017, 11:58:30 PM »
I'm still hoping he will come good, but we massively overpaid for him. The fact that we out bid West Ham for him, combined with his patchy fitness record made me nervous about it at the time. When you see that Mounié cost Huddersfield less having scored a similar number of goals to Mbappe and Balotelli in Ligue 1, emphasises it further.

Barry Glendenning said last season that it was unsurprising that Sunderland had such a high wage bill, and had overpaid for so many of their squad, because they had for a number of years been buying from a position of weakness. They often signed players in the January window to help a relegation fight. I think we are in the same situation - and it's a difficult tail spin to get out of.

Scott Hogan for £12m in January doesn't form part of a sustainable long term recruitment process.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #516 on: August 17, 2017, 02:15:31 AM »
Hogan looked pretty good at Brentford comes to B6 and seems to have forgotten everything he knows. Meanwhile I'm watching Scott Sinclair playing for Celtic and slotting away goals in the Champions league. He's doing the same as Hogan in reverse. Wtf happens to players when they come to the Villa?

I think there might be a psychological thing around the club now because failure is so ingrained, it doesn't matter who the manager/players/board are, they've been replaced several times, we've been so bad for so long that minor setbacks become big ones because you sense the self doubt and negativity straight away. I knew we needed to get off to a good start immediately but as soon as we conceded the equaliser in the first game and dropped points you could feel the pessimism again, 'only' being 2 points off, then four and now eight, one draw becomes two defeats. We regularly go on long runs of defeats, we cannot bounce back and snap out of it quickly enough.

Hopefully other posters know what I mean.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dr. Steve Peters working with the club to be honest.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #517 on: August 17, 2017, 02:38:09 AM »

I think there might be a psychological thing around the club now because failure is so ingrained, it doesn't matter who the manager/players/board are, they've been replaced several times, we've been so bad for so long that minor setbacks become big ones because you sense the self doubt and negativity straight away. I knew we needed to get off to a good start immediately but as soon as we conceded the equaliser in the first game and dropped points you could feel the pessimism again, 'only' being 2 points off, then four and now eight, one draw becomes two defeats. We regularly go on long runs of defeats, we cannot bounce back and snap out of it quickly enough.

Hopefully other posters know what I mean.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dr. Steve Peters working with the club to be honest.

It's a shame Dr. Harold Shipman can't work his magic on a few of them.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #518 on: August 17, 2017, 05:40:20 AM »
I just don't think he fancies it. His tracking was half arsed at best the other night.

Online Clampy

« Reply #519 on: August 17, 2017, 06:47:43 AM »
I just don't think he fancies it. His tracking was half arsed at best the other night.

That might be because he was probably trying to run off the tackle which eventually forced him to go off.

I like him, he never stops running and with the right service, he'd be very useful.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #520 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:44 AM »
I agree with Smirker that it has become a psychological issue.  Many of us posted through the summer that the first half dozen games of this season were among the most important and pivotal games in the history of the club.  It was of paramount importance that the focus of the manager and the coaches was on physical, tactical and mental readiness.  Instead we had the rolling circus of the completely pointless Terry signing with an undercard of knee jerk equally unnecessary transfers like buying in a worn out defensive midfielder with attitude we did not need and selling a loyal, perfectly adequate championship back up central defender we did need.  We took our eye off the ball.

The only proven way to overcome the problems posed by the players who are spooked by lack of confidence or lack of luck or the magnitude of expectations at a club of our size is to play young, fresh players whose youth and appetite for the game make them oblivious to everything but the game and the ball at their feet.  But Bruce does not do youth.  He wants gnarled old sweats to slug out one nils.

I very much suspect, know even, that there is at Villa what in the police is called a canteen culture.  Since Colchester, Cardiff and Reading the canteen culture has been at its most dominant.  The old sweats, Bruce, Wyness, Round, Calderwood and Clemence have been in a huddle, ostensibly seeking on pitch improvement but in reality presenting some sort of fire wall between themselves, the owner and the fans.  In short, their jobs are the issue, not us being bottom of the second division.

If Bruce is allowed to stumble on thanks to a win or a draw against Norwich this season is lost.  Like a forest fire our crisis will burn on until there is nothing left to burn and we can start all over again from scratch just like Leicester, Southampton, Bournemouth, Swansea and the other progressive, ambitious clubs have done.

Offline TheTimVilla

« Reply #521 on: August 17, 2017, 07:25:46 AM »

That might be because he was probably trying to run off the tackle which eventually forced him to go off.

I like him, he never stops running and with the right service, he'd be very useful.

I was referring more to his running before his injury. I found it so bemusing that I started to only track his running! It was Ray Wilkins running. Just sideways, expending lots of effort for very little reward. In fact no reward at all.

In Germany, he scored a couple of belters, so I know there is a good player in there somewhere. Touching on Brian's point, above, maybe he can't handle the pressure? The foul on Tuesday looked just as innocuous as the one he got against Brighton, yet he went off both times. In fact he walked off both times, with an injured ankle...

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #522 on: August 17, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
I agree with Smirker that it has become a psychological issue.  Many of us posted through the summer that the first half dozen games of this season were among the most important and pivotal games in the history of the club.  It was of paramount importance that the focus of the manager and the coaches was on physical, tactical and mental readiness.  Instead we had the rolling circus of the completely pointless Terry signing with an undercard of knee jerk equally unnecessary transfers like buying in a worn out defensive midfielder with attitude we did not need and selling a loyal, perfectly adequate championship back up central defender we did need.  We took our eye off the ball.

The only proven way to overcome the problems posed by the players who are spooked by lack of confidence or lack of luck or the magnitude of expectations at a club of our size is to play young, fresh players whose youth and appetite for the game make them oblivious to everything but the game and the ball at their feet.  But Bruce does not do youth.  He wants gnarled old sweats to slug out one nils.

I very much suspect, know even, that there is at Villa what in the police is called a canteen culture.  Since Colchester, Cardiff and Reading the canteen culture has been at its most dominant.  The old sweats, Bruce, Wyness, Round, Calderwood and Clemence have been in a huddle, ostensibly seeking on pitch improvement but in reality presenting some sort of fire wall between themselves, the owner and the fans.  In short, their jobs are the issue, not us being bottom of the second division.

If Bruce is allowed to stumble on thanks to a win or a draw against Norwich this season is lost.  Like a forest fire our crisis will burn on until there is nothing left to burn and we can start all over again from scratch just like Leicester, Southampton, Bournemouth, Swansea and the other progressive, ambitious clubs have done.

I agree with you Brian.  For too long we have played every game where a win was needed and we have been frightened to lose.  Cup tie football every week means that you play safe and you do not change things very much.  What this has meant is that we have circled the plughole getting weaker and weaker as a team as the good players have been replaced by lesser players who have then been replaced by poorer players.

This has to stop but the only way it will stop is if the fans accept not having immediate success.  Last season was the perfect time to do it with a new owner.  The slate could have been wiped clean.  It may not have given us promotion last year but we would have been in a far better position this season.

Online Clampy

« Reply #523 on: August 17, 2017, 08:11:26 AM »

I was referring more to his running before his injury. I found it so bemusing that I started to only track his running! It was Ray Wilkins running. Just sideways, expending lots of effort for very little reward. In fact no reward at all.

So it's gone from half arsed to expending lots of effort for little reward. If there's one thing I can't accuse Hogan of being is half arsed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:18:01 AM by Clampy »

Offline TheTimVilla

« Reply #524 on: August 17, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »

So it's gone from half arsed to expending lots of effort for little reward. If there's one thing I can't accuse Hogan of being is half arsed.

I define half arsed as inadequate, doing a poor job.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal