collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:33:16 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by dave.woodhall
[April 17, 2024, 11:28:11 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:33:16 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:42:07 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Axl Rose
[Today at 12:20:05 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:14:02 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by usav
[Today at 12:05:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Hogan - retired  (Read 271266 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Scott Hogan - confirmed
« Reply #405 on: April 25, 2017, 12:19:42 AM »
Why did we buy him?  We won't play it to his feet so he's wasted.

I'm still wondering why we paid a considerable amount of obey for a striker who is totally not suited to the way we play.  I sit in the North Stand and watch him quite closely, and he makes some really good runs which are often totally wasted.  He needs to be in a side where the ball is kept on the floor and he has got players behind him who can thread passes through for him.  We don't play that way and would be far better off with a more physical striker up there, who will play as a target man and will hold the ball up.

Having a striker like that up there would help the likes of Lansbury and Hourihane as well. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2017, 12:22:11 AM »
We need a decent wide player in the summer.

Adomah is hit and miss and has gone off the boil massively lately so we practically have nothing on the flanks with Green injured and still inexperienced at this level.

Need to make a similar statement signing to Newcastle signing Matt Ritchie last summer.

Agree about a wide man and would prefer a naturally left sided one.  A player like that along with Adomah, Green, Grealish and maybe Bacuna would give us some options. 

Online KRS

« Reply #407 on: April 25, 2017, 12:42:13 AM »
My optimistic view is that Bruce wants to play decent football - he constantly talks about the need to pass the ball better. And that Wil play to hogan's strengths 

But in the meantime he's a pragmatist who will sacrifice style for solidity
This is the last grain of hope that we can all hold on to, and Bruce will have the summer to fine tune the squad to his liking and get things right down at BMH. He walked into a right shitfest with the initial aim of moving us away from the relegation zone and further up the table, so with that now achieved, hopefully he can utilise the players he has bought in the manner in which they should be played...if he can't get them performing and getting results within the first couple of months, then we will all know he's definitely not the right man for the job and will suffer his turgid football until Dr X calls time on his tenure.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #408 on: April 25, 2017, 12:46:42 AM »
My optimistic view is that Bruce wants to play decent football - he constantly talks about the need to pass the ball better. And that Wil play to hogan's strengths 

But in the meantime he's a pragmatist who will sacrifice style for solidity
This is the last grain of hope that we can all hold on to, and Bruce will have the summer to fine tune the squad to his liking and get things right down at BMH. He walked into a right shitfest with the initial aim of moving us away from the relegation zone and further up the table, so with that now achieved, hopefully he can utilise the players he has bought in the manner in which they should be played...if he can't get them performing and getting results within the first couple of months, then we will all know he's definitely not the right man for the job and will suffer his turgid football until Dr X calls time on his tenure.

With Baker and Jedinak in the spine of the side, we are never going to be a build from the back type of side.  We are going to be direct and yet we are missing the type of striker needed to play that style effectively. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »
We need width yes, but also pace. Half of the problem with us going forward is that take Kodjia out and we're very much a flat track team. We can't counter or attack with any tempo. i also think the team is a bit unbalanced. Albert needs to be replaced when we go up but is okay as a sub for what we need next season.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »

I'm still wondering why we paid a considerable amount of obey for a striker who is totally not suited to the way we play.  I sit in the North Stand and watch him quite closely, and he makes some really good runs which are often totally wasted.  He needs to be in a side where the ball is kept on the floor and he has got players behind him who can thread passes through for him.  We don't play that way and would be far better off with a more physical striker up there, who will play as a target man and will hold the ball up.

Having a striker like that up there would help the likes of Lansbury and Hourihane as well. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see us take Murphy off Newcastle's hands. They bought him for this league and will be looking to upgrade now they are promoted.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #411 on: April 30, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
Hogan will play better with a target man in the side.
Hogan and his MF colleagues should be given video footage of the way that Vardy, David Villa, Kenny Dalglish and Brian Little used to play as smaller, nippier forwards.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #412 on: May 03, 2017, 08:41:48 PM »
Brady is completely unlike any of those others!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #413 on: May 03, 2017, 08:42:45 PM »
We need three things; pace, pace and pace.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #414 on: May 03, 2017, 08:57:37 PM »
We had Pace but we let him go to Sheffield United where he became a legend.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #415 on: May 03, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »
Ian?

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #416 on: May 03, 2017, 09:13:14 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see us take Murphy off Newcastle's hands. They bought him for this league and will be looking to upgrade now they are promoted.

Yup, that would make a good deal of sense.

Based on our current M.O though, I expect us to throw £15m a pop at Chris Wood, Tammy Abraham and Glenn Murray.

It's what we do, after all.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #417 on: May 03, 2017, 09:13:34 PM »
Ian?
Derek, always seemed to score against us for Sheffield Utd.
I can remember things from that far back, but not from yesterday.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #418 on: May 04, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »
Ian?
Derek, always seemed to score against us for Sheffield Utd.
I can remember things from that far back, but not from yesterday.
Aahhh, I was meaning Ian Hamilton. :-[

Offline villa kicks

« Reply #419 on: July 28, 2017, 12:23:08 AM »
I'm wondering if it's more one from Hogan or Jimmy Danger up front rather than both.
Hogan looks decent up by himself with player like Grealish or Lansbury behind .
Similar Jk with adomah supporting or grealish
Elmo providing ammunition for Hogan looks promising so I wondering how both hogie and kodjia fit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal