collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Neil Taylor - confirmed  (Read 28532 times)

Offline Ads

• Meff Magnet
  • GM : 18.03.2019
Re: Neil Taylor - confirmed
« Reply #390 on: October 21, 2018, 09:18:42 AM »
He did play well and made a brilliant clearance.

He got caught under the ball once but that was about it.

I didn't feel Swansea targeted him and 2nd half they switched their winger to Hutton's side to try and attack the gap between him and the centre half.

He got forward well and seemed more decisive in his tackling and closing. Kodjia offered less work rate defensively that Adomah, but that wasn't surprising.

Could have had a bit more confidence in attack, but was much improved.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #391 on: October 21, 2018, 09:43:12 AM »
Iíve always thought heís utterly shit.  If he rams that opinion back down my throat Iíd be delighted.  Yesterday was a very small step.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #392 on: October 21, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »
Is that a wind up?

All of Swansea's chances came down our left hand side due to Taylor's shocking positional sense and on the few occasions he ended up in possession more often than not the ball went sailing out of play.

I've said it before but literally the only positive of seeing Neil Taylor in the team is that it gives me hope I may still get to play for the club one day.

No

I don't think all their chances came down his side at all

He did have five minutes where he didn't seem to be playing left back though. I agree that was odd.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2019
« Reply #393 on: October 21, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »
He had a good game yesterday, as did all the players who started.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #394 on: October 22, 2018, 10:20:09 AM »
I was about to say how appalling he looked, but that probably shows the difference between being at the match and watching the extended highlights on YouTube.

The Villa YouTube video made him look out of position for most of Swansea's dangerous opportunities.

I still don't think he'll last long at Villa, but good luck to him - as a poster above suggested - I hope he proves me wrong.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2019
« Reply #395 on: October 22, 2018, 10:35:40 AM »
It was good to see Taylor go into a couple of tackles of the kind that he'd appeared to shy away from since the Ireland incident.

He had a couple of flaky moments but so did the rest of the defence

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #396 on: October 22, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »
I was about to say how appalling he looked, but that probably shows the difference between being at the match and watching the extended highlights on YouTube.

The Villa YouTube video made him look out of position for most of Swansea's dangerous opportunities.

I still don't think he'll last long at Villa, but good luck to him - as a poster above suggested - I hope he proves me wrong.

I think that middle sentence sums the problem up really. Even if he does ok he tends to be at fault for 2-3 chances against us every time he plays and offers nothing going forward to counter that.  I don't see much difference between him and Hutton really, both technically poor footballers who'll put a shift in but don't have the positioning, technique or vision to be particularly effective other than through last ditch 'fire-fighting'.  Taylor has the additional problem that he's been scared to throw himself into tackles for 18 months and if he gets over that then he's an option if we're happy with a flat back and very little attacking intent but I'd imagine a repalcement for him is very high on the list for Smith (or will be before long).

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #397 on: October 22, 2018, 05:33:08 PM »

I think that middle sentence sums the problem up really. Even if he does ok he tends to be at fault for 2-3 chances against us every time he plays and offers nothing going forward to counter that.  I don't see much difference between him and Hutton really, both technically poor footballers who'll put a shift in but don't have the positioning, technique or vision to be particularly effective other than through last ditch 'fire-fighting'.  Taylor has the additional problem that he's been scared to throw himself into tackles for 18 months and if he gets over that then he's an option if we're happy with a flat back and very little attacking intent but I'd imagine a repalcement for him is very high on the list for Smith (or will be before long).

I don't necessarily disagree with your diagnosis but he still represents our best option in his position till January.

A decent coach will be able set the team up to protect his weaknesses and maximise his skills as best possible so there's hope. If he can just be adequate in a good side it should get us through short term.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #398 on: October 22, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »

I don't necessarily disagree with your diagnosis but he still represents our best option in his position till January.

A decent coach will be able set the team up to protect his weaknesses and maximise his skills as best possible so there's hope. If he can just be adequate in a good side it should get us through short term.

I agree, but given he's the only out and out left back in the senior and U23 squads it's not saying much.

In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if the solution we go with is a recall for mitch clark.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #399 on: October 22, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »

The way he has played I'm really not sure he does.  I completely understand the play players in their positions ethos, but I honestly think Hutton has performed far better at left back for us than Taylor ever has.  I know it's not saying much but...

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #400 on: October 22, 2018, 08:03:49 PM »
He can cross with his left foot, doesnít stop, check back, then pass inside.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #401 on: October 22, 2018, 08:26:04 PM »
Is Mitch still ripping things up at Port Vale?

As for Taylor, article on him on the Beeb today:

Neil Taylor: Aston Villa defender hopes to earn Wales recall

Aston Villa defender Neil Taylor is hoping regular first-team football will lead to a Wales recall.

He made only his fourth league start of the season in the 1-0 win over former club Swansea City in Dean Smith's first game in charge of Villa.

Taylor, 29, was not in Wales' most recent squad and is yet to play under manager Ryan Giggs.

"Fingers crossed in the long term I can get back in, but I'm just not thinking about it at the moment," Taylor said.

"Right now it's playing club football and the rest should take care of itself.

"That's not something I can worry about."

The former Swansea City and Wrexham player has won 41 caps with his only goal coming at Euro 2016 against Russia.

Taylor's last appearance for Wales was in last November's 1-1 draw against Panama in Cardiff, which was Chris Coleman's final game in charge.

He has not been included in Giggs' last two Wales squads and acknowledges it is because of a lack of first-team action.

"If you're not playing enough football then you're not going to be in [the squad]," Taylor added.

"A manager's got a choice to make and if he's already made it then it's not going to do me any good ringing him up asking.

"You have to do it on the football pitch, that's how most players should try and talk.

"It's frustrating, but it's part of football. Nothing gets me too down and nothing gets me too high anymore.

"You've got to stay level-headed in football and your time will come back around and you've got to be ready when it does."

It was the first time St Asaph-born Taylor had faced his former club since leaving Liberty Stadium in January 2017.

Swans manager Graham Potter has given opportunities to youngsters including Connor Roberts and Joe Rodon this season and Taylor is pleased to see youth getting a chance.

"It's good to see three or four of the young lads that were there when I was there now in the first team and doing well," Taylor added.

"They were only young pups when I was there and it's good to see them coming through. Credit to their manager for that."

Liked his usage of ''young pups'' the best.