collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: fan forum  (Read 8387 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: fan forum
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »
I would love to know why we don't leave anybody up when defending a corner, if that is possible to say, as I am always going on about it?

Someone explained that once. It's to do with how you're more likely to be able to break quickly if you have a player who can run onto a clearance if they don't have to chase back for it and turn, as clearances are more likely to land near a player on the edge of the penalty area than the halfway line. Or something.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
Great feedback amfy, I am also one of those fans who wonders why we don't leave someone "up front" when defending corners as everyone around me at the match would testify

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 11:59:07 AM »
Me too - but no more - and those around me at Villa Park will now be educated!

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »
I would love to know why we don't leave anybody up when defending a corner, if that is possible to say, as I am always going on about it?

Someone explained that once. It's to do with how you're more likely to be able to break quickly if you have a player who can run onto a clearance if they don't have to chase back for it and turn, as clearances are more likely to land near a player on the edge of the penalty area than the halfway line. Or something.
I think it's got something to do with the top speeds of the players and the number of defenders left to beat. Someone with Tony Daley/younger Gabby pace would be more likely to beat a single defender when running forwards on a to ball  at full pace near halfway than a player having to control the ball and the beat two defenders who would be left to mark him.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 12:06:11 PM »
Me too - but no more - and those around me at Villa Park will now be educated!

Consider me educated, many thanks

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »
I really appreciate your feedback Amfy. It's so encouraging to read, it really feels like Villa are becoming galvanised after such a long time.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 12:12:41 PM »
Amfy, your insight was well worth the wait. Thanks. Almost like we were there, too.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Really interesting reading. Can I ask the amfy do you readily agree with what Bruce was saying . Is there anything you like to comment regards your own opinion on what Bruce said or are you not really able to comment. It's a great insight into the fan forum and that there seems to be a plan in place . I guess I'm asking how you as some one who was there view in from your own personal expectations and has that  altered from hearing what Bruce said.
Any comments you made at meeting shared would be interesting too if that's allowed and okay .
Thanks again for giving info and details of the fan forum I enjoyed reading and i think you make sense in having thoughtful writing.
Have a nice weekend amfy

Offline amfy

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
I think I did agree with what he was saying - the way we play and what needs changing is very much what we all see. I am trying to think if he said something I wasn't happy with and I don't think he did. He comes over as very honest and genuine too. I was impressed that he can admit to mistakes as well as knowing how to fix them.

In terms of what I contributed, I think it was me that asked directly about gategate - as a social worker it concerned me and I was happy with the depth and genuineness of his response.

Other than that - odd bits of banter and conversational tooing and froing - Nothing exact, but I definitely felt I was in the conversation, which I didn't when I met Paul Lambert in a similar forum.

I think overall I feel more confident because he knows how to run people. I don't think he would stand for stuff like 'I didn't choose the players' or 'they said I'd have money and then I didn't get any' like a couple of recent managers. He is experienced and established enough to walk away - and has done, when he is disempowered as a manager - so if he knows what he is doing, and he seems to, I feelmwe are in good hands as long as we have him.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 01:10:54 PM »
Brilliant stuff and brilliant personable reply  too.  Thanks for both insights on your own and Bruce character!  Both valued.
Have a nice weekend! 

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
Amfy you are definitely the right person in the right place, great report and "personal take". Long may it continue, really appreciate it.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 01:40:37 PM »
Thanks Amfy

Do you get the impression the bridge is well and truly burnt with Ross mcCormack, or is there a way back?

Can you be more specific about gabby?  other than working hard what does he like about him?

As always, thanks for you feedback on this.

Offline Tony Daleys Shorts

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »
Excellent feedback. Bruce seems a good bloke and half decent football manager. I sincerely hope we have success with him at the helm in the coming years.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 02:11:04 PM »
Great report.
Was there much big-picture stuff ie Tony's plans which Bruce has been privy to hearing about.

Offline amfy

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 02:18:56 PM »
Thanks Amfy

Do you get the impression the bridge is well and truly burnt with Ross mcCormack, or is there a way back?

Can you be more specific about gabby?  other than working hard what does he like about him?

As always, thanks for you feedback on this.

He is definitely v pissed off with Mc Cormack, but I wouldn't say there's NO way back, it'll just take some doing. He wasn't specific in that regard.

Besides Gabby's exceptional effort since he's got here, I think I am right in saying he sees Gabby as the player who is closest to giving the team the desired shape going forward within the resources we currently have/had. (And no - that shape isn't 'round'!). its difficult to explain that without saying more about how we are aiming to play - and someone pulled me up in the pub about possibly saying too much about that last time and giving our tactics away!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal