collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birkir Bjarnason - Released  (Read 135059 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Birkir Bjarnason - SIGNED
« Reply #720 on: June 19, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »
I cant believe he wasnt used more last season and properly.

Because SB has a way of playing and is loyal to a certain band of players - it is that simple. Totally shit but simple

I think the formation Bruce played last season would have suited him to be honest.  I would have liked to see him given a run in the role Hourihane played in midfield, as I think that is where he would be most effective. 

Think he will move on after the World Cup.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #721 on: June 19, 2018, 03:20:37 PM »
Think he will move on after the World Cup.
Let's hope he bags plenty of goals then. That'd push his price up.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #722 on: June 19, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »

Because SB has a way of playing and is loyal to a certain band of players - it is that simple. Totally shit but simple

I think the formation Bruce played last season would have suited him to be honest.  I would have liked to see him given a run in the role Hourihane played in midfield, as I think that is where he would be most effective. 

The same Hourianne who scored a eleven goals from midfield?, the best goal scoring return from a Villa midfielder in yonks?

I'm not sure about that logic to be honest, and i'm not even one of Conor's biggest fans.

Since when did Birkir become a great player all of a sudden?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #723 on: June 19, 2018, 03:59:20 PM »
He didn’t play more often because some of his performances were dire
people on here questioning whether he was an actual footballer at times

yes he had his moments, they all did in that central midfield area but all to few and none were consistent enough

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #724 on: June 19, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »

The same Hourianne who scored a eleven goals from midfield?, the best goal scoring return from a Villa midfielder in yonks?

I'm not sure about that logic to be honest, and i'm not even one of Conor's biggest fans.

Since when did Birkir become a great player all of a sudden?

Hourihane's goal return was impressive, but I felt his overall game just wasn't good enough for where we wanted to be last season.  I thought his performances dipped as the season progressed and would have replaced him with Onomah or Bjarnason a few weeks before the season ended. 

As for Bjarnason, I would agree that he didn't make a huge impression last season, but then I don't think he was played in his best position very often.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #725 on: June 19, 2018, 04:28:26 PM »

This is of course 100% true, and yet he's now become a footballing God who should've been the first name on our team sheet and it's another ridiculous stick to beat Bruce with

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #726 on: June 19, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »

This is of course 100% true, and yet he's now become a footballing God who should've been the first name on our team sheet and it's another ridiculous stick to beat Bruce with

Or, people think the extra mobility to handle Cairney would've been a good idea, but carry on being a tit towards anyone who disagrees with you about Bruce if you like.

Offline john e

« Reply #727 on: June 19, 2018, 06:21:13 PM »

cant speak for others but iv'e never criticized Bruce for not playing him more

i have criticized Bruce for his midfield buys of Barney, Hourihane, Whelan and Lansbury who for me are probably the worst collection of midfield buys i can remember, costing fortunes in wages with virtually no money back

i said during the season that you could put all their names in a cloth bag and pick them out every game at random as to who plays as it didn't matter most of the time

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #728 on: June 19, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »

i have criticized Bruce for his midfield buys of Barney, Hourihane, Whelan and Lansbury who for me are probably the worst collection of midfield buys i can remember, costing fortunes in wages with virtually no money back

i said during the season that you could put all their names in a cloth bag and pick them out every game at random as to who plays as it didn't matter most of the time

I think that may be what Bruce actually did. Like you I don't think I've ever criticized Bruce for not playing him, just playing him in the wrong position. Looking back at last season, our central midfield was a shambles, not because of the players we had but the positions and roles they were given. Glenn Whelan and his knackered old legs? Let's get him playing box to box. Hotshot Hourianne scores a hattrick, let's play him deep. Onamah on the wing or as a 10. Even Jack would spend the first 25 minutes every game dropping back to pick up the ball from the defence.

If Bruce got the chance to play our central midfield in their least effective position he went for it every time.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #729 on: June 19, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »

Easily Championship level players though, as is Jedinak. I'd argue Hourianne has more then proved his worth. I also think Whelan gets a lot of undue flak for being the steady eddie keep it simple player he is. He was never going to come in and turn into Cowans. I bet the four of them cost less than 6/7m combined, and that's about all they're worth

Whoever sanctioned their wages (i say that, we have no idea what their wages actually are other than pure speculation) should be asked some strong questions though for sure

Offline john e

« Reply #730 on: June 20, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »

Easily Championship level players though, as is Jedinak. I'd argue Hourianne has more then proved his worth. I also think Whelan gets a lot of undue flak for being the steady eddie keep it simple player he is. He was never going to come in and turn into Cowans. I bet the four of them cost less than 6/7m combined, and that's about all they're worth

Whoever sanctioned their wages (i say that, we have no idea what their wages actually are other than pure speculation) should be asked some strong questions though for sure

well i'm glad your happy with them because that's the midfield Bruce has built for next season so we should be all set

they might not have cost the earth to buy but i bet they are on the highest wages in the whole of the championship for a midfield quartet

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #731 on: June 20, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »
Parma interested in him supposedly.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #732 on: June 20, 2018, 10:29:53 AM »

That'd be a good move all round.  I didn't realise he was as old as he is - 30, so it's not like he's going to improve much.  If we can get a few quid for a player who was mostly pretty uninspiring, then I think we should cash in.

Offline john e

« Reply #733 on: June 20, 2018, 10:33:47 AM »

That'd be a good move all round.  I didn't realise he was as old as he is - 30, so it's not like he's going to improve much.  If we can get a few quid for a player who was mostly pretty uninspiring, then I think we should cash in.

rip their hands off I think is the term your looking for

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #734 on: June 20, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
He played well in a few games in front of the back four after coming on against Forest away, but apart from that he's looked slow, uninterested and generally not up to Championship level.
I'd keep him as a squad player, but wouldn't be bothered either way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal