collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: James Bree (Signed for Luton Town)  (Read 58246 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: James Bree - CONFIRMED
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2018, 08:57:27 PM »
All but about half a dozen posts are about how shit Taylor played. Plus a weird Will Hughes tangent.

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=57034.90

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2018, 09:26:34 PM »
I think Bree is as capable if not more suited that elmo but he won't shift his beloved

You say that but personally i've seen nothing from Bree yet (who i rate) to suggest he can add assists or even goals from right back.

Something, the ever unfashionable Elmo does.

It's just a pity Bree isn't a left back. If Bruce could convert him to be one that'd be ideal for all.

Or alternatively, have bought a decent left-back instead...?

You may recall we'd agreed a deal to sign one in the summer

We had a deal to sign a left-back set-up at the very end of this summer's window. Bree was signed in January 2017. Without totaling exactly how much Bruce has spend between then and now, it's not really stretching it to say that Bruce could and should have addressed the left-back situation rather than stock-piling right-backs is it?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Taylor as a left back when we signed him/ In fact if we went back to a Neil Taylor thread (is there one?) i think that would be proven. He just became one of those players people suddenly started to dislike for some reason.

Elmo is going the same way despite being very good at his job.

And yet we have a player like Hutton, who's generally woeful that gets treated like a God.

Weird game football.

Taylor has been very poor for us in the main.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »
Taylor has been mostly extremely rubbish, with a handful of barely competent games thrown in.  It's not a weird reason, he's just been shit. Not everybody rates Elmo, but I would guess that the majority of posters think he's been good at right back, which is his best position.  I know I do.  Hutton isn't the greatest player in the world but he's had some good games worthy of comment, and importantly he's a lot better than Taylor. 

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2018, 10:41:53 PM »
Taylor has not been the sane since he broke Coleman's leg.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2018, 11:24:10 PM »
Taylor has been mostly extremely rubbish, with a handful of barely competent games thrown in.  It's not a weird reason, he's just been shit. Not everybody rates Elmo, but I would guess that the majority of posters think he's been good at right back, which is his best position.  I know I do.  Hutton isn't the greatest player in the world but he's had some good games worthy of comment, and importantly he's a lot better than Taylor.

Can't argue, meself. Hutton's been more than okay at this level when playing behind someone that plays on the same foot. Elmo is our best right back, he's not a winger. Taylor's been massively disappointing for a well-capped international.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2018, 12:20:22 AM »
Agree with this, he was doing well for us prior to that,  he was either taken out of the limelight  or just shaken but either was his confidence and ability appear to be shot .

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #231 on: September 21, 2018, 01:31:10 AM »
Agree with this, he was doing well for us prior to that,  he was either taken out of the limelight  or just shaken but either was his confidence and ability appear to be shot .

Personally I don't think he was doing all that well anyway, he was more solid in defence than Amavi but he was offering nothing going forward and, by playing 2 left backs, he had a lot of support in front of him. After Coleman he looked scared to tackle and it exposed the fact that it was all he was really offering.

If it were me I'd have let Hutton leave in the summer, promoted Mitch Clark up into the squad and worked on developing him into the player he could be.  It still gives a problem that he's naturally right footed but, from what I've seen, his left isn't just for standing on.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #232 on: September 21, 2018, 09:30:34 AM »

Personally I don't think he was doing all that well anyway, he was more solid in defence than Amavi but he was offering nothing going forward and, by playing 2 left backs, he had a lot of support in front of him. After Coleman he looked scared to tackle and it exposed the fact that it was all he was really offering.

If it were me I'd have let Hutton leave in the summer, promoted Mitch Clark up into the squad and worked on developing him into the player he could be.  It still gives a problem that he's naturally right footed but, from what I've seen, his left isn't just for standing on.
It would be nice to see Mitch Clark have a go, but no way would I have wanted to let Hutton go and leave him as our only viable option at left back (I don't see Taylor as an option, he is truly awful).  But yes, I'd have like to seen Hutton & Clark fight it out for the role.

Online paul_e

« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2018, 10:13:35 AM »

It would be nice to see Mitch Clark have a go, but no way would I have wanted to let Hutton go and leave him as our only viable option at left back (I don't see Taylor as an option, he is truly awful).  But yes, I'd have like to seen Hutton & Clark fight it out for the role.

For me the problem is getting rid of Taylor wasn't an option but Hutton had left, I agree that I'd rather have it the other way but 2 senior, well paid, players in every position (and 3 or 4 in some cases) is unsustainable and means our young players are getting to 21-22 having barely been on the bench let alone seen game time, which is no good for anyone. From there they almost inevitably leave for nothing. I'm convinced it's going to happen with Clark and Suliman, probably RHM and O'Hare as well.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #234 on: September 21, 2018, 10:23:09 AM »

For me the problem is getting rid of Taylor wasn't an option but Hutton had left, I agree that I'd rather have it the other way but 2 senior, well paid, players in every position (and 3 or 4 in some cases) is unsustainable and means our young players are getting to 21-22 having barely been on the bench let alone seen game time, which is no good for anyone. From there they almost inevitably leave for nothing. I'm convinced it's going to happen with Clark and Suliman, probably RHM and O'Hare as well.
I largely agree with you in principal, but I have written Taylor off and just don't want to rely on him in a massively important season.  And admittedly I have a soft spot for Hutton. 

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #235 on: September 21, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
Taylor is a bizarre one. I’ve literally never seen anything of note from him in a Villa shirt, good or bad; a  brilliant / awful bit of defending, a half-decent cross, a progressive pass. He just literally seems to go through the motions. No glaring mistakes, no notable contributions. Even with a player like Stephen Warnock you could expect a crunching tackle or a defensive howler – with Taylor you don’t even get that.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2018, 11:42:53 AM »
All but about half a dozen posts are about how shit Taylor played. Plus a weird Will Hughes tangent.

Having quickly skimmed the first 8 pages it seems the usual grumpy fuckers were moaning about him before he'd even kicked a ball

I don't recall him being anything other than competent when he first signed personally

Mind you, we had a large portion of our supporters that used to dislike Alan Wright as well

What can you do ?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #237 on: September 21, 2018, 11:43:59 AM »

Each to their own. I'd have Ian Taylor at left back now ahead of Hutton personally.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »

Each to their own. I'd have Ian Taylor at left back now ahead of Hutton personally.
I think you're on your own on this one.  Having read the thread most of us thought it was a poor signing and he has absolutely fulfilled expectations.

Online paul_e

« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2018, 11:52:58 AM »

Having quickly skimmed the first 8 pages it seems the usual grumpy fuckers were moaning about him before he'd even kicked a ball

I don't recall him being anything other than competent when he first signed personally

Mind you, we had a large portion of our supporters that used to dislike Alan Wright as well

What can you do ?

First of all not liking things about how the club is run or some of the players we've signed doesn't mean you're a grumpy fucker, it just means people don't share your opinion. Secondly, were the people who thought he was a poor signing wrong given he can't get into the team ahead of a very average right back playing out of position and most people think that's the right call, even us grumpy fuckers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal