collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: James Bree (Signed for Luton Town)  (Read 58247 times)

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
Re: James Bree - CONFIRMED
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »
It was nice to see him being given some minutes on Tuesday, but you have to question why it's taken so long.How many times has Bruce pointlessly had 2/3 defensive midfielders sitting on the bench ahead of Bree (and other promising youngsters)?

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »
It was nice to see him being given some minutes on Tuesday, but you have to question why it's taken so long.How many times has Bruce pointlessly had 2/3 defensive midfielders sitting on the bench ahead of Bree (and other promising youngsters)?

Agree, looked good the other night when he eventually got on, obviously Bruce doesn't rate him

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2018, 01:08:11 PM »

Agree, looked good the other night when he eventually got on, obviously Bruce doesn't rate him

Why sign him then? It just makes no sense. Is this football management - throw enough shit at the wall and some of it might stick?

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »
An interesting aside to the Bree story is that when he arrived at Villa his mate from Barnsley, George Proctor, was on his way here to Atlanta to play for Georgia State University. He's doing very well from what I can ascertain:

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=211772512

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=211660353&DB_OEM_ID=12700

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »

We clearly signed him with one eye on the future.

At the moment Elmo clearly deserves the RB shirt ahead of him. Simple as that for me.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »

At the moment Elmo clearly deserves the RB shirt ahead of him. Simple as that for me.

But what about when we played Tuanzebe there ahead of him?

Why sign him then? It just makes no sense. Is this football management - throw enough shit at the wall and some of it might stick?

This is exactly what he means when he talks about things needing to gel. It's how he's worked at every club he's ever managed, he signs ~10 players a season and ends up relying on 4-5 of them and the rest disappear over 12-18 months and he rarely gets any money back for them.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2018, 01:45:03 PM »

But what about when we played Tuanzebe there ahead of him?

This is exactly what he means when he talks about things needing to gel. It's how he's worked at every club he's ever managed, he signs ~10 players a season and ends up relying on 4-5 of them and the rest disappear over 12-18 months and he rarely gets any money back for them.

I think Bree is as capable if not more suited that elmo but he won't shift his beloved

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
I think Bree is as capable if not more suited that elmo but he won't shift his beloved

You say that but personally i've seen nothing from Bree yet (who i rate) to suggest he can add assists or even goals from right back.

Something, the ever unfashionable Elmo does.

It's just a pity Bree isn't a left back. If Bruce could convert him to be one that'd be ideal for all.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »

You say that but personally i've seen nothing from Bree yet (who i rate) to suggest he can add assists or even goals from right back.

It's just a pity Bree isn't a left back. If Bruce could convert him to be one that'd be ideal for all.

Or alternatively, have bought a decent left-back instead...?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2018, 03:30:22 PM »

You may recall we'd agreed a deal to sign one in the summer

Offline RussellC

« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2018, 04:29:13 PM »

We had a deal to sign a left-back set-up at the very end of this summer's window. Bree was signed in January 2017. Without totaling exactly how much Bruce has spend between then and now, it's not really stretching it to say that Bruce could and should have addressed the left-back situation rather than stock-piling right-backs is it?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »
Elmo needs to be in the team, he's a good player. He shouldn't be playing as high up as he has at times recently but a normal right side midfield or right back slot is fine. Bree looks like he will be good enough long term, especially at championship level but I'd pick Elmo first.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2018, 04:42:56 PM »
Elmo needs to be in the team, he's a good player. He shouldn't be playing as high up as he has at times recently but a normal right side midfield or right back slot is fine. Bree looks like he will be good enough long term, especially at championship level but I'd pick Elmo first.

I agree, Elmo merits a place in the starting XI for me, but Bree needs to be a regular in the 18 form now on, with cameo's wherever possible. Otherwise he's just going to become the latest in a longline of expensive vVlla write-offs.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2018, 05:28:49 PM »

We had a deal to sign a left-back set-up at the very end of this summer's window. Bree was signed in January 2017. Without totaling exactly how much Bruce has spend between then and now, it's not really stretching it to say that Bruce could and should have addressed the left-back situation rather than stock-piling right-backs is it?

and holding midfielders

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2018, 07:55:33 PM »

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Taylor as a left back when we signed him/ In fact if we went back to a Neil Taylor thread (is there one?) i think that would be proven. He just became one of those players people suddenly started to dislike for some reason.

Elmo is going the same way despite being very good at his job.

And yet we have a player like Hutton, who's generally woeful that gets treated like a God.

Weird game football.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal