collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Spurs 1987 League Cup  (Read 7161 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Aston Villa v Spurs 1987 League Cup
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:07:07 AM »
This was one of my favourite games under SGT.

This was a giant killing!  Good interview with SGT and Herbert at the end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9IG_DxOXLfU

Offline oldham_villa

Re: Aston Villa v Spurs 1987 League Cup
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 07:44:10 AM »
I remember this match from the time, superb stuff. It wasn't too long before Walters left to join Rangers.

I read something yesterday that GT was apparently interested in the Newcastle job at some early point in his Villa career

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/graham-taylor-rip-read-secret-12443733#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Wonder if it was about this time?

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:46:05 PM »
Nice one, I've not seen the goals since going to the game always remember this as a giant killing - beating Spurs in the early rounds of the league cup and a mini pitch invasion how times have changed! Strangely this is the match programme Graham Taylor signed for me.

Offline ClarrieBlue

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 05:05:28 PM »
I was at the game and it only shows slightly how SGT prowled the touchline in the second half and got both the crowd and the team going again after Spurs equalised and seemed to be taking control. As I said previously, I think this was the night many of us realised we had got somebody quite special on our hands.

Offline peter w

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:27:45 AM »
To add onto Clarrie's post I remember us going into the game with a genuine belief we would win. I spoke to Nigel Spink before the game and he wasn't aware of the draw and I asked him if he thought we'd win (I was a bright eyed 17 yr-old) and you could just tell that his answer wasn't a throw-away "Yes" but a firm conviction. They scored and we just upped our game. It was from then that I didn't doubt we'd be promoted.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »
I was at the game and it only shows slightly how SGT prowled the touchline in the second half and got both the crowd and the team going again after Spurs equalised and seemed to be taking control. As I said previously, I think this was the night many of us realised we had got somebody quite special on our hands.

I agree. We had faith in SGT and this win just strengthened the belief.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »
I remember it being the first time I'd had to queue to get on the Holte End.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal