collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The story I never wanted to write  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: The story I never wanted to write
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
I'm not a big fan of a lot of the national press but I'm not sure that they are air-brishing over his time at Villa as such, on a national level it probably just didn't register as such a big achievement compared with his taking Watford to D1, I guess its really only us locals who really understood what a mess we were in when he arrived and the difference he made. To those outside the area it was probably just seen as him halting the slide of a big club and putting it back on a more secure footing.

I've been thinking about any other managers who were revered by fans of different clubs and came up short.

I'd guess Bobby Robson is the closest comparison? equally loved at Ipswich and Newcastle, shat on by the press during his England reign, became a national treasure in later life.

Offline Fred

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2017, 12:51:22 PM »
I'm not a big fan of a lot of the national press but I'm not sure that they are air-brishing over his time at Villa as such, on a national level it probably just didn't register as such a big achievement compared with his taking Watford to D1, I guess its really only us locals who really understood what a mess we were in when he arrived and the difference he made. To those outside the area it was probably just seen as him halting the slide of a big club and putting it back on a more secure footing.

I've been thinking about any other managers who were revered by fans of different clubs and came up short.

I'd guess Bobby Robson is the closest comparison? equally loved at Ipswich and Newcastle, shat on by the press during his England reign, became a national treasure in later life.

Sir Bobby and Sir Graham were both good men who were both very proud to manage England and who were both treated like s**t by the press.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2017, 12:53:58 PM »

A mate just mentioned that Bill Shankly had a stand named after him at Preston and we sat in it this season.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54:16 PM »
Superbly worded piece of work Dave - he was a wonderful man, the football world is worse off for us losing him.

Not sure if others have mentioned it, but one thing I always think of is how he was (nearly) always smiling, even in adversity.  I still say he got a rough deal as England manager ( I've already mentioned the appalling decision that cost England a place in USA 1994) and wonder if he regretted giving up a team that probably would've challenged for the league tittle again in 1990-91, when all he got was hassle when managing England, despite as I remember it - only having one really bad result - the loss to Norway - and the way he got slated in press the next day was nothing short of disgraceful.

Also, I loved his humorous side - again not sure if it's been mentioned - anyone remember him singing Jerusalem - think it was George Gavin playing it as a way to encourage all things Villa.

RIP Sir Graham

One of my earliest memories as a child the SGT Jerusalem rendition

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2017, 12:55:40 PM »
Oh yeah, Gavin played that when we needed to pull a goal out of the hat. Great days

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »

Yes, I'm having to try very hard to not get angry at some of the BBC articles that make Villa a minor footnote at best. One listing his best achievements in football, yet zero mention of his time with us.

Don't get angry, Sir Graham wouldn't have. We know what he did for our club and in the end that is all that matters.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »
Course he won't and to be fair - and it pains me to say this - that's the tabloid scramble for witty headlines and exposure for you. It was unfair and callous but the England manager was fair game. For every t****p phrase there was a 'Super Cally Go Ballistic...'. Move on and ignore just as I did then and correct every and any person who did and does refer to him as t****p. When he goes, MacKenzie's passing will be more akin to Thatcher's from her detractors than to a genuine and much missed Graham Taylor. Fuck MacKenzie - we'll have our memories and SGT will have his humility, dignity, and warmth of feeling from anyone he touched with his presence. Whether he knew it or not.

Where's the Like button. Well said Peter.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2017, 01:57:35 PM »
Spot on Dave.

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2017, 05:03:38 PM »
Lovely piece Dave.

Reflects the warmth that every one of us feels towards the great man.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
Lovely tribute Dave. Well done.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal