collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Football in the snow  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
Football in the snow
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:32:51 PM »
Evening guys, down here at Tugby Villa HQ we're having a debate about Villa games in the snow.  I seem to remember one about ten years ago, but I could be wrong.  The old man says we've never played on a snowy pitch.  Mother Tugby and Sister Tugby couldn't care less.  So, just in case there are more knowledgeable chaps on here: have we ever played in the snow? Thanks!

Online tomd2103

Re: Football in the snow
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:49:33 PM »
Evening guys, down here at Tugby Villa HQ we're having a debate about Villa games in the snow.  I seem to remember one about ten years ago, but I could be wrong.  The old man says we've never played on a snowy pitch.  Mother Tugby and Sister Tugby couldn't care less.  So, just in case there are more knowledgeable chaps on here: have we ever played in the snow? Thanks!

Seem to recall a game against Wimbledon in the 90s in the snow and one against Man City when Tony Daley scored a great volley.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:53:35 PM »

Seem to recall a game against Wimbledon in the 90s in the snow and one against Man City when Tony Daley scored a great volley.

I thought of that game, think we won 3 1 but cant remember if it was snow or really heavy frost

im sure we played at the bitters 1985 ish in a league cup replay in the snow and we won 2 1 i think
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:57:21 PM by oswald funkletrumpet »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:00:08 PM »
Liverpool at home over Christmas seven years ago - wasn't that in the snow?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »
Definitely. Bastard freezing cold, hardly anything happened until injury time when two of our players fell over to present a chance to the most inform striker in Europe. A thoroughly miserable evening.

Similarly, another horrible, snowy game against Southampton. Fuck all happened except for Le Tissier briefly putting down his KFC to score twice.

I can't remember us winning in the snow while I've been watching, but we must have done.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 10:18:44 PM »
Liverpool at home over Christmas seven years ago - wasn't that in the snow?

It was, a blizzard, but the snow hadn't settled so it wasn't a white pitch ( I flew home on Christmas Day from Shanghai to see us lose 3-0 to Arsenal and 1-0 to Liverpool, so engrained in my mind).

I recall the 2-0 v Cardiff on Boxing Day 1968 on a sunny snowy day, and a 2-0 home defeat to QPR around 1976. A blizzard during a 2-1 home win v Newcastle in December 1976 too. I think it snowed the day we beat Boro 3-0 in our penultimate game in 1981 too, but after the game.

Online The Left Side

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:32:48 PM »
Villa 0 Southampton 2 back in 1994/95 was almost in the snow and thoroughly depressing, rumours were the players were out on the piss the night before and it certainly showed.

Offline big 1st serve

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 06:48:10 AM »
April 1975 ? v WBA, Blizzard conditions which I think must have affected the BBC cameras as the footage I have is in black & white. 3-1 to us, think it was the Easter weekend.
2 outstanding memories for me;
Chico scored , & a certain Mr Wile, giving the Holte a double Harvey Smith!!
Oh & Bill Howell was probably still in his 2nd hand pram.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:02 AM »
I can remember throwing snowballs at Ray Clemence from the Holte End after the snow had been shuffled of the pitch

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
The one that springs to mind immediately is Tommy Docherty's first game at Villa Park, a 2-0 win over Cardiff City on Boxing Day 1968.
I can still see Brian Tiler heading the ball into the net in front of the Holte End, in front of a massive crowd and a snowy pitch with just the lines cleared, like they used to then, and an orange ball.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »
There's a thread on here showing a snow-covered Villa Park  taken from the top of the old Sitting End.  I'm pretty sure the opposition was Blackburn, the year was 1963 and the result was 0-0.  The pitch markings were blue. I was  there.

We played the Stripey's sometime in the sixties in the League Cup when they definitely a better team than us.  That was in the snow.  I remember both sets of forwards being bombarded with snowballs.  We lost the match,  can't say who were the better at hitting the centre-forwards.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:30:46 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
Was it Sheff Utd we beat in the cup away and the sides of the pitch were absolutely full of the shovelled snow, think Yorke scored a cheeky penalty too?

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »

That Wimbledon game immediately popped in my head. Off the top of my head we won 7-0 or 7-1 and Tommy Johnson get three.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal