collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we made sufficient progress?  (Read 6970 times)

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
Re: Have we made sufficient progress?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
Last week SB said the club had a history of signing players for the sake of it. Sounds like he is not overly impressed with what he has inherited.  Given that both he and RDM have failed to turn this lot into an effective team probably tells us all we need to know.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2017, 09:50:03 PM »
The last two summers have involved an August trolley dash. Never a good strategy

It's why the assumption that we can get promoted with this squad and then just buy a new team for the premier league is so wrong headed.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »
A few posts I agree with completely here, the idea that the best teams in the league are the ones that looked well trained is painfully obvious, it's why I've been so frustrated with the performances in the last month, Bruce has had the time to give the team an identity and he's not even close yet.

Then Matt is spot on as well, that's why I think we need to have half an eye on where we want to be rather than just going short term and throwing everything at promotion with no thought of whether that's the rigth approach to fully recover.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2017, 10:28:52 PM »
A few posts I agree with completely here, the idea that the best teams in the league are the ones that looked well trained is painfully obvious, it's why I've been so frustrated with the performances in the last month, Bruce has had the time to give the team an identity and he's not even close yet.

Then Matt is spot on as well, that's why I think we need to have half an eye on where we want to be rather than just going short term and throwing everything at promotion with no thought of whether that's the rigth approach to fully recover.

To be fair Paul, our midfield is that weak it would be very hard for any manager to develop a style of play. Play direct football, Westwood and Gardner are not physical enough.  Try to play a passing game, Jedinak and Gardner constantly give it away.

I agree entirely with your second paragraph.  I was speaking to a fellow Villa fan (who goes home and away) at work the other day and we both said that we would take another season at this level if if meant getting it right.  I would still love us to go up this season and winning at Wembley in the play offs would be just the lift the club needs, but it would be a massive rebuilding job in the summer if that were to happen.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2017, 10:44:12 PM »
It would be, but Tony has given all the indications that he is up for it.  So the sooner the better for me.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:49 PM »

To be fair Paul, our midfield is that weak it would be very hard for any manager to develop a style of play. Play direct football, Westwood and Gardner are not physical enough.  Try to play a passing game, Jedinak and Gardner constantly give it away.

I agree entirely with your second paragraph.  I was speaking to a fellow Villa fan (who goes home and away) at work the other day and we both said that we would take another season at this level if if meant getting it right.  I would still love us to go up this season and winning at Wembley in the play offs would be just the lift the club needs, but it would be a massive rebuilding job in the summer if that were to happen.

I honestly think thats just a nice easy excuse.  Westwood and Gardner have been terrible this season, that's undeniable but I've seen Westwood look decent at premier league level and we've all seen reports of Gardner looking comfortable in the forest midfield and managing to get a few goals as well.  Get a proper structure in place and I don't think those 2 would look so completely out of their depth.  From there even if they're not good enough and things are breaking down because of them you've at least got the rest of the squad understanding what you're trying to do and you can try to hit the ground running.  As is I honestly think that even if we get the midfielders we need we're looking at another month for the  team to start to gel and that will make it much tougher.  My concern is that Bruce has had the club in a bit of a holding pattern to get to Jan and now he doesn't seem to be in all that much of a rush to fill the gaps.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
At the start of the season a lot of fans were in agreement that it was always going to be a big challenge to get back up in one season.
I think the most pragmatic thought that we could make a solid start and then make a push in the second half of the season.

It's been said that to make a push then we really need to be in 'touching distance' of the play off positions.

So, at the turn of the year and with the reverse fixtures kicking in we are 7 points off the playoffs.

Is this close enough?
Are we happy with our position (especially considering where we came from) ?
Or is there concern that we are already too far off the pace?

The basic answer is no right now answering the question in relation to points away from play offs .
I would have also liked to see some classy performances as well as goals and attacking impetus.
I feel the shackles are still on and Bruce is still searching. 
He wanted to get basics right and that meant a bit more solidarity team but going forward has been a disappointment.
I hold out hope that the next 2 home matche s at least bring some  points if not goals.
I think a real test is if we can go away to Brentford on 31st and win. I say this as by then lile go think had some more points on board and the end of window can be a yardstick to how far off pace from top 6 places the villa are.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal