collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: RHM  (Read 74452 times)

Offline robleflaneur

Re: RHM
« Reply #360 on: August 19, 2018, 01:00:12 AM »
Its true if you never play them and integrate them slowly. Davis did not do too bad when he came through last season but we virtually never saw him after Christmas think about chances last season when he couls have given run outs to Green, RHM, JDH, Davis and O'Hare or at the very least keep them involved with the first team squad and give them a cameo here and there. Instead we get to play other peoples loanees and give them the experience.

That to me just sums up that he is not trying to build anything but just wants a short term fix.

Green and RHM were injured at the back end of last season. Davis got plenty of chancesThe only hard luck story of that crew really is O'Hare who got very limited chances and by all accounts wasn't allowed go on loan either. The reality is loanees like Snodgrass were vastly superior to some of the options above, though Bruce should certainly have rotated a lot more last season.

To be honest I wouldn't see the job of the manager to build anything long term, that should be the responsibility of the CEO or director of football.

The bold bit is the key.  I don't think anyone is wanting 5-6 of the kids to start 30-40 games but to have 20-30 minutes fairly regularly because not only does it give them the experience they need but it also means you not flogging the life out of the senior players.

Aside from that any manager who isn't thinking of 2-3 seasons at a club is a charlatan who knows he'll only last as long as it takes the board to figure him out.  On that basis we should be seeing now work done by Bruce in the first few months to make sure the kids were learning to play a way that would benefit the first team. Bruce has never done that, he has no record of dragging a kid from the academy up so they become a top player.  He can recognise a player with ability when it's in front of him, even if they're young, but he can't, for example, watch a  young winger and think "I'd make a good full back out of him".

One of the things people like about him is the supposed honesty but I think that's mostly just because he sees the game the same way a fan does so people hear him echoing what they thought. The problem is that he just can't do anything about it beyond buying in players that someone else has developed.
I think it's important that a manager thinks long term,otherwise ,unless you are a Citeh ,Chelsea or Man Ure,there is no sustainability.The big difference between SGT and MON.The latter's approach was let someone else deal with the consequences  of overspending at clubs like Leicester,Celtic and Villa.
SGT valued the construction of a firm base and a good youth policy.
With Bruce,it's give me a team that should get promoted but don't expect me to go any further.Has he got any outsiders promoted ?Did he leave any of his teams in good shape ? Wigan were always a small club but had some financial backing.
Sunderland,Hull and ,yes,Blues were teams with unrealised potential.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #361 on: August 19, 2018, 07:48:45 AM »
Well he definitely isn't over 6 foot is he

He is, he's just far away.
doesnt anybody stay in one place any more?

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #362 on: September 01, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
Place on bench at best for RHM today and hopefully some minutes

Would like to see him get opportunity to play but as he didn't score 10 goals against Burton he won't be starting .

And moving forward he will have lost some match time with Abrahams coming in both are 20 years old though

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #363 on: September 01, 2018, 11:47:19 AM »
Place on bench at best for RHM today and hopefully some minutes

Would like to see him get opportunity to play but as he didn't score 10 goals against Burton he won't be starting .

And moving forward he will have lost some match time with Abrahams coming in both are 20 years old though

Yes, both 20 and one has shown he can score and be a starter and the other hasn't. Yet.

RHM should probably go out on loan once Davis and/or Hogan are match fit.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #364 on: September 01, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »
This is it - We all go on about our youngsters but Abraham has scored 20+ goals. RHM looks lost most of the time with a few flashes. Think about what Rooney, Owen and co were doing at 17 and Villa fans cry over Green going on loan when the reality is he's managed a handful of promising performances and has a terrible injury record. We seem to put our youngsters on a pedestal without any substance to back it up. 

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #365 on: September 01, 2018, 01:51:13 PM »
This is it - We all go on about our youngsters but Abraham has scored 20+ goals. RHM looks lost most of the time with a few flashes. Think about what Rooney, Owen and co were doing at 17 and Villa fans cry over Green going on loan when the reality is he's managed a handful of promising performances and has a terrible injury record. We seem to put our youngsters on a pedestal without any substance to back it up.

Young players should be integrated into the match day squad. They are not all obvious stand out talents ( who only come along once in a blue moon anyway). Integration means developing them smoothly, not throwing them in, ditching them, bringing them back again in a haphazard way.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #366 on: September 01, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »
Owen and Rooney were pretty unique I think. I agree with you Old Man, they shouldn't be ditched at the first sign of trouble like Green has been.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #367 on: September 01, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »
Rush is on the bench again today. With Hogan, Tammy and Davis yet to feature this season he'll do well to stay in the match-day 18. Really hope he comes off the bench to make a telling impression soon. Today would be great.

Offline kieron

« Reply #368 on: January 11, 2019, 02:36:55 PM »
Calderwood takes RHM on loan.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1083725480136753155

".@Rushcmpt has joined @CambridgeUtdFC on loan until the end of the season ✍️

Full story 👉 https://bit.ly/2Fqa5CE"

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #369 on: January 11, 2019, 03:05:29 PM »
Hopefully a good move for him, he needs game at first team level, if he can get 15ish starts and scores some goals then it'll be huge for his confidence. He's easily good enough to score goals at that level. My only concern isthat I'd have preferred him joining some chasing promotion than battling relegation.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #370 on: January 11, 2019, 03:30:38 PM »
Hopefully a good move for him, he needs game at first team level, if he can get 15ish starts and scores some goals then it'll be huge for his confidence. He's easily good enough to score goals at that level. My only concern isthat I'd have preferred him joining some chasing promotion than battling relegation.

Agree Paul.  Hopefully he can stay fit for the rest of the season and have a good run of games.  I like the look of what I have seen of him so far, but not sure he is suited to playing up front on his own really.

Online paul_e

« Reply #371 on: January 11, 2019, 04:46:13 PM »

Agree Paul.  Hopefully he can stay fit for the rest of the season and have a good run of games.  I like the look of what I have seen of him so far, but not sure he is suited to playing up front on his own really.

From what I've seen of Brentford Smith has never seemed to use out and out wingers who stay wide and get crosses in but instead has players on the left and right who have the freedom to be almost anywhere in their 'area' so they can drift and find space and can playing a passing game and work chances (he had Jota there, he used Sawyers in a similar way and he seemed to push Watkins into a similar role). I think RHM and Green could do a good job in roles like that.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #372 on: January 11, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »
The problem with Green & RHM is that they're never fit for long enough.

Young injury prone players are rarely if ever worth persevering with.

Online paul_e

« Reply #373 on: January 11, 2019, 05:35:25 PM »
The problem with Green & RHM is that they're never fit for long enough.

Young injury prone players are rarely if ever worth persevering with.

Not sure that's fair, it really depends on what injuries they're getting. Green has, in my opinion, been incredibly unlucky with his, a lot like Delph was when he arrived. RHM is more of a concern but I'd hope that a lot of his problems will be addressed by getting more regular game time and building his match fitness. He seems to pick up a lot of niggles when he's had a period of not playing very much.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #374 on: January 11, 2019, 08:38:07 PM »
I shall enjoy watching RHM.  To me he is yet another player we have not taken full advantage of.  Faced with walking ten minutes and watching RHM or driving most of a day through roadworks to watch BB, Hogan, Hourihane, Hutton and Elmohamady for me it is a no brainer.  As the years go by I become more interested in the players we don't use - RHM, Suliman, Green, Lyden, than the ones we do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal