collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: RHM  (Read 74435 times)

Offline oldhill_avfc

Re: RHM
« Reply #345 on: August 17, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »
Possibly both?

I haven't seen him in the U23s and in a somewhat counter intuitive way I think it helps make a clearer judgement.

There haven't been (m)any players I've seen down the years who prove you wrong based on your initial views.  It's not that you expect young players to have great games but you do expect them to show something that makes you think that they've got promise.

As somebody said earlier the U23s don't really matter that much.  Here, now and in his other 1st team appearances I haven't seen much cause for optimism.

By the same token, I think Green has shown glimpses of what he may be able to do given a clear run from injuries - although with him I suspect that once injury prone, always injury prone, and unfortunately in the end won't amount to much either.

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #346 on: August 17, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »
Yeovil were extremely dominant physically so other opponents may be less problematic for him

But I do think it's hard to see how such a midget can be a number 9 in the modern game

He seems to have 2 heights! Depending on the source (googled his name with question for height) he is either 1.73 metres (5ft 8 inches) or 1.87 metres (6ft 1.5 inches).

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #347 on: August 17, 2018, 09:20:29 PM »
Well he definitely isn't over 6 foot is he

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #348 on: August 18, 2018, 12:02:51 AM »
Well he definitely isn't over 6 foot is he

He is, he's just far away.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #349 on: August 18, 2018, 12:45:46 AM »
It is a big step up for the lad, but he was being pumped up long balls to the centre halves. How did we score our goal? A cracking ball into space and good skills then by Kodjia. Instead of slagging off the kids, give them the chance to play alongside the real players in the team. I have to say the manager has gone even more down in my estimation with his comments about the youngsters, And as for the comment about the keeper, I will reserve judgement but he bottled that one on one big time

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #350 on: August 18, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
I've read a lot of people criticising Bruce's post match comments. Perhaps they would prefer a manager to say something like "We were excellent", when actually we were poor?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #351 on: August 18, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
I've read a lot of people criticising Bruce's post match comments. Perhaps they would prefer a manager to say something like "We were excellent", when actually we were poor?

I take your point, but there must Shirley be an alternative to the polarities of Lambobull and Bruciebull. Something like the truth, maybe.

The truth will set you free.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #352 on: August 18, 2018, 03:32:04 PM »

He said we were poor, if he'd left it at that no one would've had a problem, but saying the kids struggled because they weren't used to real football was the bit people didn't like.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #353 on: August 18, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
It's true though, isn't it?

It's massive step up from U23 to 1st team football - that's why so many teams send their players out on loan to div 1 & 2 teams.

Offline Bermuda Villa

« Reply #354 on: August 18, 2018, 09:15:03 PM »
Its true if you never play them and integrate them slowly. Davis did not do too bad when he came through last season but we virtually never saw him after Christmas think about chances last season when he couls have given run outs to Green, RHM, JDH, Davis and O'Hare or at the very least keep them involved with the first team squad and give them a cameo here and there. Instead we get to play other peoples loanees and give them the experience.

That to me just sums up that he is not trying to build anything but just wants a short term fix.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #355 on: August 18, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »
Green, RHM and Davis were basically injured for the second half of the sea
Its true if you never play them and integrate them slowly. Davis did not do too bad when he came through last season but we virtually never saw him after Christmas think about chances last season when he couls have given run outs to Green, RHM, JDH, Davis and O'Hare or at the very least keep them involved with the first team squad and give them a cameo here and there. Instead we get to play other peoples loanees and give them the experience.

That to me just sums up that he is not trying to build anything but just wants a short term fix.

Hepburn-Murphy and Green were injured for most of last season and Davis from March onwards.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #356 on: August 18, 2018, 09:37:42 PM »
If the other clubs loanees was a reference to Onamah then I'd say Bruce was right to play him.  I actually thought he was a decent player and was in the team on merit on the occasions he played - not just to give hm game time at the expense of the other players mentioned.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #357 on: August 18, 2018, 10:19:37 PM »

Green and RHM were injured at the back end of last season. Davis got plenty of chancesThe only hard luck story of that crew really is O'Hare who got very limited chances and by all accounts wasn't allowed go on loan either. The reality is loanees like Snodgrass were vastly superior to some of the options above, though Bruce should certainly have rotated a lot more last season.

To be honest I wouldn't see the job of the manager to build anything long term, that should be the responsibility of the CEO or director of football.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #358 on: August 18, 2018, 11:10:48 PM »
Tell that to Pochetinno

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #359 on: August 19, 2018, 12:35:49 AM »

Green and RHM were injured at the back end of last season. Davis got plenty of chancesThe only hard luck story of that crew really is O'Hare who got very limited chances and by all accounts wasn't allowed go on loan either. The reality is loanees like Snodgrass were vastly superior to some of the options above, though Bruce should certainly have rotated a lot more last season.

To be honest I wouldn't see the job of the manager to build anything long term, that should be the responsibility of the CEO or director of football.

The bold bit is the key.  I don't think anyone is wanting 5-6 of the kids to start 30-40 games but to have 20-30 minutes fairly regularly because not only does it give them the experience they need but it also means you not flogging the life out of the senior players.

Aside from that any manager who isn't thinking of 2-3 seasons at a club is a charlatan who knows he'll only last as long as it takes the board to figure him out.  On that basis we should be seeing now work done by Bruce in the first few months to make sure the kids were learning to play a way that would benefit the first team. Bruce has never done that, he has no record of dragging a kid from the academy up so they become a top player.  He can recognise a player with ability when it's in front of him, even if they're young, but he can't, for example, watch a  young winger and think "I'd make a good full back out of him".

One of the things people like about him is the supposed honesty but I think that's mostly just because he sees the game the same way a fan does so people hear him echoing what they thought. The problem is that he just can't do anything about it beyond buying in players that someone else has developed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal