collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:27:57 PM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by Beard82
[Today at 05:54:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sam Johnstone - now retired  (Read 80942 times)

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
Re: Sam Johnstone CONFIRMED [Loan]
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2017, 04:22:38 PM »
Great 10 more to replace and we'll be fine.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
Now we have got rid of Traore (half way line to corner flag in 4.6 seconds) and Gestede (basically an aerial player) we get a goalie who can kick from his hands and drop the ball on the opposition penalty spot. If we are going to play ugly Sam will be perfect.

Offline peter w

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 07:11:24 PM »
Welcome to Villa, St Johnstone.

watching highlights in Turkish - about a minute or so - of someone at the weekend in Scotland and they kept mentioning Sam Johnstone so I was trying to pay attention. But I couldn't work out which keeper he was as the goalmouth action was at one end then t'other, but gathered they must have talking about him and a potential move. It was when it was something like 3-0 that I realised I was watching St Johnstone.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 08:39:41 PM »
I think he was guaranteed game time as part of the deal, makes you wonder if that's Gollini off now.

Gollini has by all accounts been told he has to fight for his place unless a big money offer comes in.

That's fine provided he is given a fair chance.

Welcome Sam don't concede any goals!

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 08:44:23 PM »
If Bruce fancies Bunn over Gollini and Johnstone is first choice what's the point in him (Gollini) hanging around?

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »
I don't like us making signings like this. I'd have prefered an experienced keeper over a prospect who will get game time that will ultimately benefit the likes of Manyoo.

Offline themossman

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 08:48:22 PM »
Speaking of third choice keepers I suddenly remembered Stuart Taylor and wondered what he was up to. He's now 36 and if I'm reading wikipedia correctly has had a total of 75 first team appearances over a 20 year career.

Online Karlos96

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »
Speaking of third choice keepers I suddenly remembered Stuart Taylor and wondered what he was up to. He's now 36 and if I'm reading wikipedia correctly has had a total of 75 first team appearances over a 20 year career.

I talking about this with an Arsenal fan last year.  What a waste of a career you think he'd just want to play he always seems to be quite happy sitting on the bench or in the stands really don't understand it at all.  Apparently in those 75 games he's managed to win the Premier League once,  won two FA Cups and two Community Shields.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »

I talking about this with an Arsenal fan last year.  What a waste of a career you think he'd just want to play he always seems to be quite happy sitting on the bench or in the stands really don't understand it at all.

I imagine it must to terrible to be a 36 year old multi-millionaire who has had to do nothing for the wealth and comfort of his family apart from keep himself in a reasonable state of fitness.

What sort of nutter would be happy with that.

Online Karlos96

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 09:17:55 PM »

I talking about this with an Arsenal fan last year.  What a waste of a career you think he'd just want to play he always seems to be quite happy sitting on the bench or in the stands really don't understand it at all.

I imagine it must to terrible to be a 36 year old multi-millionaire who has had to do nothing for the wealth and comfort of his family apart from keep himself in a reasonable state of fitness.

Yeah the money is nice and if that is all he is interested in, good luck to him.  For me if I had the ability to be able to play at that level I would want to play as many games as I could and have a career I could look back on and be proud of.

Offline themossman

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 09:22:34 PM »
He will always have a special place in my heart as the only player I have had genuine ITK about. And even then I froze in the headlights and failed to post anything until everyone knew.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »

Yeah the money is nice and if that is all he is interested in, good luck to him.  For me if I had the ability to be able to play at that level I would want to play as many games as I could and have a career I could look back on and be proud of.

I guess the thing is that he doesn't really have the ability to play at that level.

500 games in League One or a handful of games for teams winning trophies and playing in the Champions League, while probably earning twice as much money?

Not saying one is better than the other, but it's not like the latter is far worse.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 09:27:07 PM »

I was thinking something similar.  Perhaps he's just one of those players' that doesn't enjoy football all that much but is fairly decent at it, enough to play professionally and has seen the bigger picture.  Keep fit as you say; and keep picking up contracts with clubs for little or no return.  Bank balance continues to grow and, no need to ever look for a 'proper' job.  Sorted.

Offline themossman

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 09:33:05 PM »
There seem to be more keepers with that mindset tham outfield players. I guess by its nature it's a less glorified role and seems to attract less adrenaline hungry characters that need first team action to stay topped up.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2017, 09:38:54 PM »
There seem to be more keepers with that mindset tham outfield players. I guess by its nature it's a less glorified role and seems to attract less adrenaline hungry characters that need first team action to stay topped up.

It's the one position where you know you'll never or hardly ever have to play yet every club has to have a player to do just that. As Dave said, you can either play regularly at your natural level or be a reserve at a higher one. You can say the same about Mark Bunn - he's not good enough to be our first choice but he could do well in League One.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal