collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sam Johnstone - now retired  (Read 80649 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Sam Johnstone - re-signed
« Reply #285 on: September 25, 2017, 01:57:32 PM »
Looks as if they made the right call with Johnstone over Gollini. I’m not sure how obvious a choice it was at the time, but fair dos to the staff for it anyway.

I never rated Gollini. He made me nervous any time the ball came near him.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »
Looks as if they made the right call with Johnstone over Gollini. I’m not sure how obvious a choice it was at the time, but fair dos to the staff for it anyway.

I never rated Gollini. He made me nervous any time the ball came near him.

Not as nervous as he was by all accounts.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #288 on: December 02, 2017, 01:32:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/avfcchats/status/936714012208844800

lol. He also got right in the face of some diver a few games ago. Maybe Fulham?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #289 on: December 02, 2017, 01:40:51 AM »
Wasn't convinced by him last season. Saw him in a car park after Wigan away and said "well played". He's been excellent pretty much ever since.

No need to thank me.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #290 on: December 02, 2017, 02:28:54 AM »
His weakness is corners although Terry’s absence might have something to do with it.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #291 on: December 02, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
His weakness is corners although Terry’s absence might have something to do with it.

So true - he is an excellent shot stopper like Kasper.  His distribution is average at best and you worry when the ball is high in the air coming  across the goal as he is always rooted to his line.  Saying that Samba should have got in front of his man yesterday.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #292 on: December 04, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »
I played semi pro as a keeper way back so I am always more critical of them than other positions.

First thing is that at the this high level of professional goalkeeping they are all great shot stoppers - its all the other attributes that set them apart from the average ones.

1.  Command of the area - 6yrd and 18 yard
2.  Handling on crosses
3.  Decision making on crosses
4.  Distribution - by moving the ball quickly
5.  Kicking - by clearing lines

1.  I think he is ok for 18yrd and comes off his line with good pace and with good effect - always seems alert to danger. 6yrd and I think he is piss poor. He should be commanding and very vocal and demolish everything in his way. Recent games QPR / Ipswich / Leeds - all had strikers head the ball within 2 yards of the goal line - QPR / Leeds resulted in goals and Ipswich we were very lucky to win the free kick. He really needs to assert himself more here to provide some confidence in defence.

2. Very resistant to come for crosses. To the point where he is actually making the defence nervous.

3. I can appreciate that this is a dying skill with all keepers due to miss judgement of the flight due to the new type of ball moving but still most keepers are over 6ft and with arms outstretched and at taking ball at highest point not even Crouch should be able to get a head on the ball. Nothing stops wingers / FB's whipping in crosses if they see the keeper taking them with ease. Conversely if they are aware of a weakness they have the tendency to bombard the box expecting the keeper to be rooted. This causes total confusion between keeper and defenders.

4. When he has the ball in his hands he does hold on to it too long or at the other extreme boots it downfield to absolutely no one. Really needs some coaching on this side of his game

5. Can be wasteful and a bit nervy - I feel there is an error in him each time he kicks to clear.

I know this may sound over critical but I think the basis of a great team is strength from the back and it starts with a confident and able keeper. I like him and think he has potential and is very young for a keeper but experience does not have an impact on some of the fundamentals of the role on more the reading of the game.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #293 on: December 04, 2017, 04:42:27 PM »
I like Sam and he will continue to develop. Keepers don't mature until late 20's early 30's really. Personally if West Ham went down I'd go for Adrian. Never seen him have a bad game and he's very unfortunate to lose his spot to Joe Hart who is more a household name the Sullivan/Gold/Brady fell in love with than a really good goalkeeper.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #294 on: December 04, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
I like Sam and he will continue to develop. Keepers don't mature until late 20's early 30's really. Personally if West Ham went down I'd go for Adrian. Never seen him have a bad game and he's very unfortunate to lose his spot to Joe Hart who is more a household name the Sullivan/Gold/Brady fell in love with than a really good goalkeeper.
That's a good shout.  But was Hart dropped or injured last week?

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #295 on: December 04, 2017, 04:58:59 PM »
That's a good shout.  But was Hart dropped or injured last week?

Couldn’t play against his parent club.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #296 on: December 04, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
Good post, Hookey. Agree completely about his 6 yard box. It controls him. On Friday night Leeds had a corner and was pushing Samba on his goal line who was marking their attacker. There was not a chance in a million Sam was going to get the ball. Not sure what's happened to him as earlier on in the season I thought he controlled his box very well, now he runs out and misses crosses. He's made me a bit more nervous these last few games.

As for his kicking, I'm a fan. He can get some real distance on them especially from a dead ball. Of course he can improve but it's the least of his problems.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #297 on: December 04, 2017, 05:18:51 PM »
Different game with such a light ball that’s why keepers are being developed and coached to stick on their line.  Sam is only young and already can see him developing. His weakest aspect of his game is his distribution it’s about on par with a c minus

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #298 on: December 04, 2017, 07:35:18 PM »
Completely agree Hookey regarding the 6 yard box.
Most coaches are telling keepers to punch any cross within 3 yards of the goal line.
Most defences agree where the keepers territory ends regarding corners.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #299 on: December 04, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
ManU have extended his contract another year

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal