collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sam Johnstone - now retired  (Read 80656 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Sam Johnstone CONFIRMED [Loan]
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
At this moment in time, this one seems completely pointless to me, but there you go.

At least we're looking at other deals which make a lot more sense as well.

Why? I don't trust Mark Bunn in the slightest and Gollini has a long way to go. If this kid is better than why not bring him in?

Is he better ? Is he going to stay after this season if he's any good? Will Gollini get better with game time? Is Gollini off himself? Answers to these questions would determine whether it's a sensible one or not, but at this point my feeling is that I'd sooner stick with Gollini or buy experience.

We have to trust the judgement of Gary Bailey and Tony Coton, two well respected goalkeepers in their own right on that. They have seen Bunn and Gollini close up and feel Johnstone is better. I'm all for better.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
Welcome to Aston Villa Sam.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »
Bunn and Gollini haven't been up to the job, there's room for improvement, let's hope it's in the form of Johnstone.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 01:47:30 PM »
At this moment in time, this one seems completely pointless to me, but there you go.

Why? I don't trust Mark Bunn in the slightest and Gollini has a long way to go. If this kid is better than why not bring him in?

Is he better ? Is he going to stay after this season if he's any good? Will Gollini get better with game time? Is Gollini off himself? Answers to these questions would determine whether it's a sensible one or not, but at this point my feeling is that I'd sooner stick with Gollini or buy experience.

We have to trust the judgement of Gary Bailey and Tony Coton, two well respected goalkeepers in their own right on that. They have seen Bunn and Gollini close up and feel Johnstone is better. I'm all for better.

I hope we have an option to buy because if he is better as you say, it's only till the end of the season. If not, we have a Goalkeeper change now for the defence to get used to, and then another one in the summer, or a no better or possibly even worse Gollini back in the Sticks.
I'm not deliberately trying to be a moaner on this, I'm delighted with both Xia and Bruce, but I just can't get my head around this one.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 01:49:47 PM »
If you're talking in the context of priorities then yes we have more obvious pressing needs. But deals don't always align that way. I would expect that Bruce knows we need help in midfield and up front and is working on that.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
If you're talking in the context of priorities then yes we have more obvious pressing needs. But deals don't always align that way. I would expect that Bruce knows we need help in midfield and up front and is working on that.

And to be fair I fully trust them to get the players in to improve us overall, we all know the midfield needs serious repair and If the rumours are to be believed we're looking at a number of players there.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »

I hope we have an option to buy because if he is better as you say, it's only till the end of the season. If not, we have a Goalkeeper change now for the defence to get used to, and then another one in the summer, or a no better or possibly even worse Gollini back in the Sticks.
I'm not deliberately trying to be a moaner on this, I'm delighted with both Xia and Bruce, but I just can't get my head around this one.

I know what you mean but for me that argument doesn't apply in the same way now we're in the second division. For the same reason I'm not bothered that SB is a mediocre premier league manager. Priority one is get back up by hook or by crook.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 02:06:45 PM »
Also a good point Mossman but the problem is, if we don't go up, we have the problem I described above. If we signed someone with experience permanently we would at least have continuity for next season.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »
All for Better? Come on, that sounds like a Labour Party slogan.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »
All for Better? Come on, that sounds like a Labour Party slogan.

I should trademark that and sell it to them. They need all the help they can get.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »

We don't have to trust anybody. Anymore than we had to trust Martin O'Neill when he thought Zat Knight was better than Gary Cahill, or Paul Lambert when he thought that buying Alexsander Tonev was a better idea than playing Marc Albrighton.

Johnstone could be worth doing. But if he's here for five months, and we're then talking all over again about whether Gollini is good enough or buying yet another new one, it just strikes me as pretty pointless.

If we see Johnstone as our long-term goalkeeper, fine. If not, let's help the development of our own one rather than pissing about with somebody else's.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »
All the rumour links leading up to his signing mentioned we had an option to buy. Add to that his comments today about wanting to play games, I imagine he's more than willing to leave the Plastics. Their 3rd choice keeper is the least of their problems. I'd guess we have first option to buy come the summer.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:39:35 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline KRS

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
Welcome to Villa Sam...please don't be as shit as Gallini and Bunn!

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »

Offline Skerra

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
Why is it that when we want to buy a player there's always a snag, whereas, when we sell it gets done PDQ!!
Only thing in SB's current press conference is how Gabby is revitalised and like having signed a new player. Do any of our managers see what us fans see??

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal