collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Paul.S
[Today at 06:29:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread 2017  (Read 225234 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: The Cricket Thread 2017
« Reply #1200 on: September 29, 2017, 01:12:20 PM »
Michael Vaughan is being a bit of a tit again on TMS.  I'm paraphrasing a bit here:

"England have 8 players who are good test players and 8 players who aren't"

a few minutes later

"the problem before was the mindset they arrived in, they need to all think they deserve to be there and have earned the right to be on the tour"

Seemingly he doesn't see how achieving the latter would be easier if people like him didn't say stuff like the former.

The only player I don't think deserves to be there is Ballance because he had his reprieve played poorly and has been poor for Yorkshire since.

Yeah a bit harsh on the likes of Foakes, Crane and Overton who haven't even featured at that level.

I hope who ever interviewed asked him who the alternatives were.   

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1201 on: September 29, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »
Michael Vaughan is being a bit of a tit again on TMS.  I'm paraphrasing a bit here:

a few minutes later

"the problem before was the mindset they arrived in, they need to all think they deserve to be there and have earned the right to be on the tour"

Seemingly he doesn't see how achieving the latter would be easier if people like him didn't say stuff like the former.

The only player I don't think deserves to be there is Ballance because he had his reprieve played poorly and has been poor for Yorkshire since.

Yeah a bit harsh on the likes of Foakes, Crane and Overton who haven't even featured at that level.

I hope who ever interviewed asked him who the alternatives were.   

To be fair he did follow it up with talk about how there weren't many clear alternatives but the whole segment felt like, at best, he sees them as the least shit options.  They eventually got back to Overton and a few of them confirmed that he's the obvious choice as a quicker option as he is up around 88-89mph.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #1202 on: September 29, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »

a few minutes later

I can't help but think that Ballance gets picked because he and Root came through the ranks together at Yorkshire and they're friends.

Olaftab said he can bat, he should go instead of Ballance.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1203 on: September 29, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »

a few minutes later

I can't help but think that Ballance gets picked because he and Root came through the ranks together at Yorkshire and they're friends.

Didnt Balance start at Derbyshire (well Zimbabwe really i guess)?

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #1204 on: September 29, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »

a few minutes later

Didnt Balance start at Derbyshire (well Zimbabwe really i guess)?

He is Zimbabwean and represented them in the 2006 Under-19 world cup. He only played schoolboy cricket for Derbyshire and signed an academy for Yorkshire in 2007 aged 17 when he shared digs with Joe Root.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1205 on: September 29, 2017, 03:40:56 PM »
Didn't he get a cricketing scholarship at Eton or something, and go to Derbyshire because his uncle was the coach (Houghton)?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1206 on: September 29, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »
Today - with a few overs to go Curran has looked good on debut and generally we've bowled really well other than a few truly horrific overs from Ball.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1207 on: September 29, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »
Today - with a few overs to go Curran has looked good on debut and generally we've bowled really well other than a few truly horrific overs from Ball.

Ball is a funny bowler, when he's good he looks really good but when he's even a bit off he's awful.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1208 on: September 29, 2017, 06:50:52 PM »

Ball is a funny bowler, when he's good he looks really good but when he's even a bit off he's awful.

His problem today, if you haven't been watching, was that he keep bowling at normal pace and on a normal line an length, Gayle picked him for a couple of overs and then smashed him around the ground and then the middle order did the same at the end.  His last over he did try to get yorkers in but he didn't do it very well and ended up going for nearly 100 on his own.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #1209 on: September 29, 2017, 08:03:10 PM »
Pretty good form from the openers. Nice for Roy to be back.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1210 on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:56 PM »
Surely Bairstow has now got to bat higher up the order for the Ashes.  I think we would be stronger with him in the top five and another option a bit lower down. 

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #1211 on: September 29, 2017, 10:58:40 PM »
I'm kind of back and forth on that. I quite like splitting of the best batsmen down the order. It means it can be demoralising for the opposition.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1212 on: October 02, 2017, 05:41:35 PM »
I see Mark Wood has been named in the Lions squad to tour Aus this winter.  Bit of a strange one that seeing as he didn't make the full squad.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #1213 on: October 02, 2017, 06:32:42 PM »
Good too see Duckett hasn't been completely forgotten.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1214 on: October 02, 2017, 07:29:57 PM »
I see Mark Wood has been named in the Lions squad to tour Aus this winter.  Bit of a strange one that seeing as he didn't make the full squad.

He’ll be in Australia & playing, makes perfect sense to get overs in to him rather than carry the drinks for 2 months, call him up & him breaking down because he is coming in cold - same with a Jennings & Westley who will be playing & hopefully getting runs in the conditions

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal