collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 12:59:18 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread 2017  (Read 225113 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: The Cricket Thread 2017
« Reply #1110 on: September 09, 2017, 11:55:32 AM »
No but it's not like Blackwood is out when he's trying to dig in.

I don't think Blackwood has it in him to dig in. He sort of tried to play defensively, but looked a walking wicket with the amount of play and misses he had. He probably just thought sod it, might as well try and hit the ball rather than get out defending

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1111 on: September 09, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »
I loved listening to Tony Cozier, but his replacement on TMS has been brilliant.
Yes I listened to him on TMS yesterday and what a wonderful man he is. He did a rendition of cricket lovely cricket absolutely superb. Don't know his name though😥

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1112 on: September 09, 2017, 01:31:14 PM »
Fazier Mohammed isn't it? He's very good.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1113 on: September 09, 2017, 01:56:01 PM »
Brilliant bowling from Anderson.  Six wickets so far.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #1114 on: September 09, 2017, 04:04:35 PM »
Handy little period for Stoneman and Westley this.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #1115 on: September 09, 2017, 04:15:23 PM »
Whatever happens with Stoneman and Westley's futures it's nice they're able to close out this match with a couple of good knocks.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1116 on: September 11, 2017, 11:35:03 AM »
Interesting debate on SKY yesterday, where Gower, Atherton, Botham, Warne and Hussain picked a 16 man squad for the upcoming Ashes series.  I thought it was an interesting insight into the kind of discussions that take place at that level (seeing as all the English pundits are former captains) and this is the 16 they came up with:

Cook, Stoneman, Westley, Root, Malan, Hales, Stokes, Bairstow (WK), Foakes (WK), Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Roland-Jones, Wood, Crane

All of them said that they want to see Root batting at three in the winter and the only other real debates were whether Westley should go, whether Buttler or Foakes should be the second choice keeper and whether Crane or Rashid should take the second spinner place (Botham mentioned Leach as another possibility).  It was agreed that the fact that the Lions are touring Australia at the same time kind of negates the need for any real gambles in selection in terms of younger players. 

As for the starting XI, it was interesting to see the different approaches.  Atherton and Hussain wanted the extra batsman, whereas Warne was advocating:

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Hales, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Crane

His logic was that there are going to be a few overs that need to be made up along the way and that it would be better for Crane to bowl them than a part timer like Root.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1117 on: September 11, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
I don't agree with Warne on that mainly because if all you're wanting is a few overs of filler then picking a bunny is a dreadful idea.  Add to that the fact that Root actually has taken a few decent wickets and I just don't see the need.  If you're talking about a genuine all rounder (i.e another Ali) then it changes the discussion but if you pick Crane it has to be with an expectation for him to bowl 20-25% of the overs and to take wickets.  On top of that if we were scoring runs but struggling for wickets then, again, switching out a batsman for a pure bowler wouldn't be a terrible decision but all of our problems are in the top 5 and I don't see how shifting everyone up and bringing in a new 11 is helping with that.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1118 on: September 11, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »
To be fair to Warne, his few overs comment was about the first innings and then he said he would come into it more in the 2nd innings.  I like the 6-11 unit of Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Broad and Anderson and would be hesitant to change it, but I just worry about our attack in Australia when the ball isn't doing anything and think we might need to find a way of getting a different bowling option in there somehow. 

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1119 on: September 11, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »
To be fair to Warne, his few overs comment was about the first innings and then he said he would come into it more in the 2nd innings.  I like the 6-11 unit of Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Broad and Anderson and would be hesitant to change it, but I just worry about our attack in Australia when the ball isn't doing anything and think we might need to find a way of getting a different bowling option in there somehow. 

That's a slightly different issue, I do think that there's an argument that the 4 we have are a little too similar and very reliant on the ball swinging, on pitches where that seems unlikely there's a fair argument to look at getting TRJ or Wood in.  The next step is who do you leave out?  TRJ for Woakes is fair because both offer a bit with the bat but Wood, like Crane, is a bunny so I'd be reluctant to drop Woakes for him which means leaving Broad or Jimmy out, which seems unthinkable but has to be considered if you want to keep the middle order balance that has worked so well for us.

On this one I wouldn't want to be a selector.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #1120 on: September 11, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
Wood isn't a complete bunny is he? He's averaging around 20 in 1st class cricket.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1121 on: September 11, 2017, 01:13:23 PM »

That's a slightly different issue, I do think that there's an argument that the 4 we have are a little too similar and very reliant on the ball swinging, on pitches where that seems unlikely there's a fair argument to look at getting TRJ or Wood in.  The next step is who do you leave out?  TRJ for Woakes is fair because both offer a bit with the bat but Wood, like Crane, is a bunny so I'd be reluctant to drop Woakes for him which means leaving Broad or Jimmy out, which seems unthinkable but has to be considered if you want to keep the middle order balance that has worked so well for us.

On this one I wouldn't want to be a selector.

Don't know about you Paul, but I'm not sure about Roland-Jones down there as for me he is the archetypal English seamer and is suited to our conditions.  With no movement, bowlers of his pace become targets to be attacked and it has been pointed out that the records of Anderson and Broad down there are not great.  If fit, Wood in the squad is a must for me as I think he will be a threat on those pitches and I would even consider swapping Roland-Jones with someone like Finn for the Ashes and then bringing him back for New Zealand.

As you say, selection is a dilemma and Broad's batting woes really haven't helped as he is now a 10 or 11 only (they will really target him with the short stuff I reckon).       

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1122 on: September 11, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »
Wood isn't a complete bunny is he? He's averaging around 20 in 1st class cricket.

He seems to get single figures or 40-50+ and very little in between but yes, he's not like Crane but he's also not going to provide the crucial late runs that Woakes and Ali have done so well for the last couple of years, he's more like Broad which is why that's who I'd look at leaving out for him.

Tom - I agree that TRJ might be just as limited in Oz but given we don't have any 90+ quicks I'm not sure what else we can do.  I do think TRJ bowls a little fuller as his default length though which at least makes hitting the stumps a more realistic prospect than the rest who dislike being driven so go a little shorter.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1123 on: September 11, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »

He seems to get single figures or 40-50+ and very little in between but yes, he's not like Crane but he's also not going to provide the crucial late runs that Woakes and Ali have done so well for the last couple of years, he's more like Broad which is why that's who I'd look at leaving out for him.

Tom - I agree that TRJ might be just as limited in Oz but given we don't have any 90+ quicks I'm not sure what else we can do.  I do think TRJ bowls a little fuller as his default length though which at least makes hitting the stumps a more realistic prospect than the rest who dislike being driven so go a little shorter.

It will be interesting to see, but I think the 16 they settled on will probably be spot on.  having the Lions down there at the same time will be very beneficial and it will be interesting to see how some of the young players like Helm get on if selected.

Online aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1124 on: September 12, 2017, 03:28:15 PM »
7 lbw's out of the first 8 wickets.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal