collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread 2017  (Read 225180 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: The Cricket Thread 2017
« Reply #1035 on: August 30, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »
Again there was nothing wrong with declaration IMO.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1036 on: August 30, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
Poor captaincy from Root cost us the match.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1037 on: August 30, 2017, 08:27:17 PM »
Worryingly we lose a test after winning one again.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1038 on: August 30, 2017, 09:39:29 PM »
"Illustrating the scale of the achievement, only Don Bradman’s ‘Invincibles’ have made more runs in the fourth innings to win a test in Leeds".

Seriously, would anyone on here have had much more than a fiver on this(that) Windies side chasing down 320-odd? I wouldn't. I genuinely expected us to have it wrapped up well before tea. To bat on and leave them chasing, what, 400? With our attack? Nah. Fuck that. Little dabble late on the fourth, winkle one out, home tomorrow and feet up in time for Countdown.

This is what sport's about. The mental fortitude shown to win this game was immense. Superb, sirs, fucking superb.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #1039 on: August 30, 2017, 11:06:57 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with the declaration, and any team that chases down 320 in the last inning deserves all the credit rather than people focusing on that decision. Shai Hope's innings was brilliant, and let's hope his attitude and demeanour for the long game rubs off on some of his less keen colleagues, Test cricket is always a better place for a strong Windies team.
 The thing that got me was the seemingly sudden lack of spin, the previous couple of days the ball had been moving all over the place, yet when Ali got it on the last day there was barely any spin. We all know Ali can bowl opponents out on wearing wickets so I'll put this one down to a strange anomaly rather than Ali's ability.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #1040 on: August 30, 2017, 11:10:55 PM »
Poor captaincy from Root cost us the match.

Care to expand on this, or are you solely going on the declaration? I thought he rotated the bowlers well, would have expected more movement from Ali (see above), can't be blamed for dropped catches, did his bit with the bat and I don't remember any howlers on the review side. Sometimes you just have to take a defeat on the chin despite everything.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1041 on: September 01, 2017, 07:11:15 AM »
Worryingly we lose a test after winning one again.

It's not the same at all though. We actually showed real fight in adversity this time and had totally turned round the match to be in a winning position. We were just beaten by a brilliant last innings. It wasn't so much us losing, as the West Indies winning if that makes sense. There are obviously still issues in the England side but they'd have been present in a win or a defeat.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1042 on: September 02, 2017, 07:24:30 PM »
Hi Dave Cooper.

My criticism of Root had nothing to do with the declaration.

My complaints are: 1. Why no short-leg in when the ball was only five overs old at the start of the day?

2. Why no third man when the ball went soft -this must have cost circa fifty runs!

3. Why only five overs from Stokes?

PS. It wasn't his fault that Woakes wasn't fully fit to bowl.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #1043 on: September 04, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
Yikes.

Star India (a Fox company...) have paid the BCCI £1.97bn for a 5 year contract to televise the IPL. No wonder cricket dances to their tune.

Online spangley1812

« Reply #1044 on: September 04, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
Kieron Pollard has been criticised on social media after bowling a no-ball which denied opposition batsman Evin Lewis the chance of a century in a Caribbean Premier League match.

Pollard bowled a big no-ball when Lewis was on 97 off 32 balls, with St Kitts and Nevis Patriots needing one run to beat Barbados Tridents in the Twenty20 competition.The no-ball gave 25-year-old Lewis' side the win but saw him miss out on the chance of a ton after he and captain Chris Gayle reached 129-0.

Cricket statistician and journalist Mazher Arshad said: "So Kieron Pollard bowls a no-ball to deny Evin Lewis a hundred in CPL. Suraj Randiv was suspended for a match when he did that to [Virender] Sehwag in 2010."

Cricket supporter Mainraj Paudel called Pollard's actions a "shameless act" on Twitter, while another spectator, Abhishek Chaturvedi, accused Pollard of showing "zero sportsmanship".

Lewis, however, was more diplomatic.In a televised post-match interview, he said: "It hurts [missing out on the hundred], but hitting 97 not out off 33 balls? I'll take that any day."I've been hitting the ball long and hard in the nets. I'm confident now and looking forward to the play-offs."

If Lewis had completed his century in 33 balls, it would have been the second fastest of all time - just behind Chris Gayle's 30-ball IPL knock in 2013.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1045 on: September 04, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »
It's just not cricket.

Online spangley1812

« Reply #1046 on: September 05, 2017, 04:57:55 AM »
West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels has warned England's Ben Stokes to "stay on the boundary" in the limited-overs matches this month.

The pair have clashed several times, notably when Samuels saluted after Stokes' dismissal in a Test in 2015.

The sides play a solitary Twenty20 at Durham on 16 September, before a five-ODI series starts on 19 September.

"I'm going to come to England and be a good boy, at least for the start," 36-year-old Samuels told the Guardian.

"As long as he keeps quiet, I won't start anything, so if anything does happen that means he has said something to me first.

"He should stay on the boundary when I'm batting, as far away as possible."

Stokes and Samuels exchanged words during the second Test in Grenada in 2015, after which Samuels said "the English boys don't learn".

When Stokes was dismissed later in the game, Samuels stood and saluted as the all-rounder left the field.

Stokes, 26, said Samuels "lacks respect" after he put his feet on the table during a news conference following West Indies' World T20 final victory over England in 2016.

Samuels added: "He wanted to take me on a couple of years ago. He started something and I told him he better be prepared to finish it.

"But I saw him during the IPL this year and he didn't say anything. I hope he can continue on that path. If not, I have things in place."

Stokes, who was reprimanded for using "obscene, offensive or insulting" language during the second Test West Indies at Headingley, is one demerit point away from a ban.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1047 on: September 05, 2017, 09:39:48 AM »
West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels has warned England's Ben Stokes to "stay on the boundary" in the limited-overs matches this month.

The pair have clashed several times, notably when Samuels saluted after Stokes' dismissal in a Test in 2015.

The sides play a solitary Twenty20 at Durham on 16 September, before a five-ODI series starts on 19 September.

"I'm going to come to England and be a good boy, at least for the start," 36-year-old Samuels told the Guardian.

"As long as he keeps quiet, I won't start anything, so if anything does happen that means he has said something to me first.

Stokes and Samuels exchanged words during the second Test in Grenada in 2015, after which Samuels said "the English boys don't learn".

When Stokes was dismissed later in the game, Samuels stood and saluted as the all-rounder left the field.

Stokes, 26, said Samuels "lacks respect" after he put his feet on the table during a news conference following West Indies' World T20 final victory over England in 2016.

Samuels added: "He wanted to take me on a couple of years ago. He started something and I told him he better be prepared to finish it.

"But I saw him during the IPL this year and he didn't say anything. I hope he can continue on that path. If not, I have things in place."

Stokes, who was reprimanded for using "obscene, offensive or insulting" language during the second Test West Indies at Headingley, is one demerit point away from a ban.

caught something on the radio yesterday that Stokes and Ali aren't going to be playing in some of the upcoming games.  Not sure if it was just the T20 or the whole ODI series. 

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #1048 on: September 05, 2017, 10:29:14 AM »

caught something on the radio yesterday that Stokes and Ali aren't going to be playing in some of the upcoming games.  Not sure if it was just the T20 or the whole ODI series. 

I think they're being rested just for the T20.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #1049 on: September 06, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »
They've dropped Woakes for Toby Roland-Jones.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal