collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread 2017  (Read 225167 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: The Cricket Thread 2017
« Reply #1020 on: August 30, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »
Exciting finish in the Bangladesh vs Australia test. Aussies need 48 to win with two wickets remaining.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #1021 on: August 30, 2017, 08:36:04 AM »
Bangladesh win by 20 runs  :) ;D

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1022 on: August 30, 2017, 08:49:36 AM »
And yet I've just heard Michael Atherton and Michael Holding saying what a good declaration it was and no blame should be attached there.

Nobody on here ever seems happy with the timing of the declaration!

Yes, there seems a lot of opinion on the BBC feed that Root did the right thing and well done the Windies for chasing it down.

I wonder if the opinion would be the same had it been Australia in the Ashes instead of the plucky little Windies...

Pretty sure he wouldn't have declared if it was against the Aussies. The declaration was presumably linked to the fact they have barely won a game for ages and that they had been rolled over twice recently for not very many by England.

Hats off to the West Indies - a great game of (proper) cricket.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1023 on: August 30, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
And yet I've just heard Michael Atherton and Michael Holding saying what a good declaration it was and no blame should be attached there.

Yes, there seems a lot of opinion on the BBC feed that Root did the right thing and well done the Windies for chasing it down.

I wonder if the opinion would be the same had it been Australia in the Ashes instead of the plucky little Windies...

Pretty sure he wouldn't have declared if it was against the Aussies. The declaration was presumably linked to the fact they have barely won a game for ages and that they had been rolled over twice recently for not very many by England.

Precisely my point.  It was the cricketing equivalent of sending the reserves out in a cup game against lower league opposition and losing 3-0.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1024 on: August 30, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »
There's nothing wrong with deploying difficult tactics against different opponents. Had we been one up in a series against the Aussies, we probably wouldn't have declared. It doesn't mean it was the incorrect decision on this occasion.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1025 on: August 30, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
There's nothing wrong with deploying difficult tactics against different opponents. Had we been one up in a series against the Aussies, we probably wouldn't have declared. It doesn't mean it was the incorrect decision on this occasion.

That's my view. Declaring against a struggling Windies team was the right thing to do.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1026 on: August 30, 2017, 10:59:09 AM »
There was nothing wrong with the declaration and i hope Root remembers that.  We didn't catch well, we got caught out in the worst batting conditions of the match (but still left 50-100 runs on the pitch in the first innings) and the bowling wasn't the right length for the pitch.  1-2 of those problems you can get away with but all 3 and you're going to struggle against anyone.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #1027 on: August 30, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
I doubt there's anyone who seriously thought the WI had a chance of chasing down those runs. It was definitely correct to declare in my opinion.

Hope and Brathwaite batted superbly, we bowled poorly and the pitch seemed to be strangely quieter than the day before.

I do fear for us in Australia at the moment

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1028 on: August 30, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »

Precisely my point.  It was the cricketing equivalent of sending the reserves out in a cup game against lower league opposition and losing 3-0.

No it wasn't.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1029 on: August 30, 2017, 11:54:49 AM »

No it wasn't.

Root underestimated the Windies because they're a bit crap at the moment and got a bloody nose for it.

If the next test went exactly the same way, he declared at the same point and the Windies chased it down again would people say he did the right thing again?

I'm not saying it was the wrong decision but that doesn't mean he can't learn from it.  He's an extremely young captain and that decision (and the subsequent 4th innings performance of his team) could end up being part of the reason we lose a home test series to a team ranked one place above Bangladesh!

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #1030 on: August 30, 2017, 03:31:29 PM »
I doubt very much that Root made the decision on his own. No one could predict Broad would bowl so brainlessly in the evening, that the pitch would suddenly decide not to spin, that they'd drop Brathwaite twice early in his innings. It's a supreme bit of second guessing to say it was a poor decision.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1031 on: August 30, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »
I heard Trevor Bayliss on TMS say it was a decision made by Root, Stokes and himself. I haven't heard criticism of the decision from any of the many ex players, commentators or summarisers.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #1032 on: August 30, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »
If you played that scenario out 10 more times, the Windies would do well to win one of them.

Cook couldn't catch a cold, and a guy went on to get hundreds in both innings which has never, ever been done at that ground before.

We take it on the chin, no concerns over getting back on track at Lords.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1033 on: August 30, 2017, 06:39:31 PM »
I agreed with the decision to declare and that sort of bold play would result in more wins than draws/losses in the long-term. The Windies batted exceptionally well and our bowling was below par. Root's problem was that he placed his reliance on the senior bowlers and they didn't deliver, and the change bowlers just weren't on it. That combined with our inability to catch meant we lost.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1034 on: August 30, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »
Bangladesh win by 20 runs  :) ;D
The two Test results in the last 24 hours are very good for world cricket. Well done Bangladesh.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal