collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread 2017  (Read 225036 times)

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: The Cricket Thread 2017
« Reply #840 on: August 07, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »
The South African batting line up is weak. As a bowling unit they are amongst the best in the world in most conditions but their exisiting batting line up is fragile at best.

18-2, Jimmy gets Kuhn.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #841 on: August 07, 2017, 01:14:02 PM »
Kuhn is a walking wicket. I reckon I'd get him out before long.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #842 on: August 07, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
Interesting discussion during the rain delay regarding playing Hales at five

The void at five has come as a result of James Taylor's terrible misfortune.  He was beginning to establish himself in that position.

I don't think Malan is the answer going forward.   

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #843 on: August 07, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »

The void at five has come as a result of James Taylor's terrible misfortune.  He was beginning to establish himself in that position.

The continual chopping and changing of personnel is a worry. Jennings isn't good enough, Westley needs a score to cement his place and as you say Malan is not the answer.

Stoneman is the lastest to be touted for a place and I can see a recall for Ballance to bat at five. Root clearly rates him which is hardly surprising given that they came through the ranks at Yorkshire together. However Ballance still hasn't ironed out his technical flaws and as a result he's a wicket waiting to happen.

Selection for the series against the West Indies will be made with one eye on the Ashes so it's to be hoped that Hameed comes good again because otherwise we will go into the Ashes with an unsettled opening pair.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #844 on: August 07, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »

The continual chopping and changing of personnel is a worry. Jennings isn't good enough, Westley needs a score to cement his place and as you say Malan is not the answer.

Stoneman is the lastest to be touted for a place and I can see a recall for Ballance to bat at five. Root clearly rates him which is hardly surprising given that they came through the ranks at Yorkshire together. However Ballance still hasn't ironed out his technical flaws and as a result he's a wicket waiting to happen.

Selection for the series against the West Indies will be made with one eye on the Ashes so it's to be hoped that Hameed comes good again because otherwise we will go into the Ashes with an unsettled opening pair.

Hameed is a poor player. He rode the crest of a wave in India after 1 good season. Now he has been found out even at County level and is an opener who just goes into 'survival mode' rather than ever looking to score any runs.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #845 on: August 07, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »

Hameed is a poor player. He rode the crest of a wave in India after 1 good season. Now he has been found out even at County level and is an opener who just goes into 'survival mode' rather than ever looking to score any runs.

I think with the right coaching and guidance he could develop into a decent opener. We've lacked a batsman with "stickability" since Trott's retirement. Sometimes test batting is about occupying the crease and our batsmen don't stick around long enough.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #846 on: August 07, 2017, 03:35:16 PM »
Bit quick to write Hameed off so soon, unlessyoure a Lancashire member I doubt you've seen much of him, how do you come to the conclusion he's a poor player?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #847 on: August 07, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »
Bit quick to write Hameed off so soon, unlessyoure a Lancashire member I doubt you've seen much of him, how do you come to the conclusion he's a poor player?

Yeah that does seem a bit harsh.  After all he might just be going through the kind of slump many young sports men and women do early in their careers. 

My concern is that the two test series have come the wrong way around this summer really.  We could have done with facing the West Indies first, allowing new players to settle in a bit and then gone into the sterner test against the South African attack.  As it is, we might be blooding new players against a weaker attack which won't really give us any clues about whether they will be able to step up against the Australians. 

As it is, I think Westley has done enough to keep his place against the West Indies, but Jennings and Malan need to come out.  Stoneman has to be given a chance at opener in the first test against the West Indies, but I'm not sure who is picked at five. 

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #848 on: August 07, 2017, 04:15:41 PM »
This stand between Amla and du Plessis is now irritating. We need to regroup at tea and come hard at them in the evening session.

Edit! Super Moeen Ali gets Amla lbw. That's a huge wicket.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:19:58 PM by Villan For Life »

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #849 on: August 07, 2017, 04:42:12 PM »
Moeen is a very strange bowler isn't he? He can trundle along not looking particularly threatening for a while, then all of a sudden it's like he's going through batsmen like Trump goes through spokesmen.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #850 on: August 07, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »
Player of the series is likely to be England's number eight batsman / second spinner

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #851 on: August 07, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
Earlier on TMS.......

"He's itching de Kock" - Graeme Smith

Which was followed up by "de Kock's itching"

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #852 on: August 07, 2017, 05:46:06 PM »
25 wickets in a series for Moeen Ali is a fantastic performance. Such an important member of the side now.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #853 on: August 07, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »
Good win and a good series win.  Answered a few questions regarding how the team should look going forward.
First time we've beaten them at hime in a series since 1998, so not to be sniffed at.

As for South Africa, I think they are fine in the bowling department even without Dale Steyn.  Some of their batsmen struggled in the conditions up here, by put I think there have been positives with Bavuma and Elgar's hundred. 

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #854 on: August 07, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »

Indeed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal