collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread 2017  (Read 225021 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: The Cricket Thread 2017
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2017, 11:12:46 PM »
As a Cricket fan it always saddens me that Windies are a poor team.
Said as much to my bro earlier.

So sad.

And very damaging to world cricket as well.  Saying that, if you add Gayle, the two Bravos, Sammy, Samuels, Pollard, Russell and Narine to that team and it looks a very different side.

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »
Chris Woakes player of the series. Well deserved
Gave me a training top after the game as well when I asked him for a shirt for a fellow villan. Top lad who has vastly improved his game and fits well into international level

Offline peter w

« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2017, 05:11:08 AM »
As a Cricket fan it always saddens me that Windies are a poor team. I first became obsessed with Cricket in the mid 1970s when they were at their most powerful. For 10 years or more they were a fantastic team and I idolised several of their players. I had posters of Viv Richards, Michael Holding, Joel Garner and Alvin Kallicharran on my bedroom wall next to my Villa posters. I never had an England player on my wall, not even Botham. Sir Viv is my favourite cricketer of all time.

I know that their best players don't play for them because of a dispute with the governing board but the game needs a strong West Indies side competing in all formats of the game.

Agree - they're still my 2nd team after watching them in the late 70s and early 80s. brilliant fast bowling and ex[plosive with the bat. older 'youngsters' may believe that attacking cricket started with the Aussie team of Gilchrist, Waugh, Warne et al but they didn't. A test between the two teams in their pomp would have been excellent and it would be difficult to pick a winner because of the brilliant players on both sides. But for me the West indies shade it.

I wonder what a combined team would be like...

Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
M Waugh
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Logie
Warne
Holding
Marshall
Ambrose

maybe Walsh/Garner/McGrath for Logie.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2017, 10:51:43 AM »

Developing into a genuine all-rounder now.

England are a proper spinner away from being a top class ODI side just now, when Bairstow can't find a place in the side you know you are looking good.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2017, 01:11:56 PM »

Developing into a genuine all-rounder now.

England are a proper spinner away from being a top class ODI side just now, when Bairstow can't find a place in the side you know you are looking good.

Not sure about a top class spinner, as in ODI you can probably get away with one who can keep it tight for ten overs (unless you are in the sub continent).  I think what we are missing is the 'destroyer' type who can come on and bowl short, explosive spells.  Such a shame Mills has the injury problems he does, as he would be ideal.   

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »
I think we're missing a couple of top class bowlers in general.  Plunkett and Rashid do an ok job but if we could replace them with a spinner who can keep it tight or take wickets and a quickie who can really scare teams then we'd be as good as anyone in the world.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2017, 01:03:02 AM »
I think we're missing a couple of top class bowlers in general.  Plunkett and Rashid do an ok job but if we could replace them with a spinner who can keep it tight or take wickets and a quickie who can really scare teams then we'd be as good as anyone in the world.

Agree with that Paul. Rashid has a bit of that 'X-Factor', but is also quite expensive in the limited overs game.  The seam bowling is all just a bit the same and although they are fine bowlers in their own rights, we could do with something a bit different. 

That said, for the first time I can remember we'll be going into a tournament with a settled
ODI side that have been winning on a pretty regular basis.  Home conditions as well means we should really be among the favourites. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:06:32 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2017, 05:42:30 AM »
As a Cricket fan it always saddens me that Windies are a poor team. I first became obsessed with Cricket in the mid 1970s when they were at their most powerful. For 10 years or more they were a fantastic team and I idolised several of their players. I had posters of Viv Richards, Michael Holding, Joel Garner and Alvin Kallicharran on my bedroom wall next to my Villa posters. I never had an England player on my wall, not even Botham. Sir Viv is my favourite cricketer of all time.

I know that their best players don't play for them because of a dispute with the governing board but the game needs a strong West Indies side competing in all formats of the game.

Agree - they're still my 2nd team after watching them in the late 70s and early 80s. brilliant fast bowling and ex[plosive with the bat. older 'youngsters' may believe that attacking cricket started with the Aussie team of Gilchrist, Waugh, Warne et al but they didn't. A test between the two teams in their pomp would have been excellent and it would be difficult to pick a winner because of the brilliant players on both sides. But for me the West indies shade it.

I wonder what a combined team would be like...

Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
M Waugh
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Logie
Warne
Holding
Marshall
Ambrose

maybe Walsh/Garner/McGrath for Logie.

I know you guys don't like Ponting, but he strolls into that combined side. He's miles ahead of the younger Waugh certainly, or Logie (at least just looking at his average). Likewise, I'm not sure Hayden isn't the best opener available either, as good as Greenidge and Haynes are.

Offline peter w

« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2017, 10:22:48 AM »
Forgot about Ponting in all honesty. He goes in for M Waugh. Logie was in for the times he had to come in and counter attack. but no need for him with Gilchrist. Hayden's not getting in though.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »
We'll have to agree to disagree about Hayden - distinctly better record, and he scored runs everywhere he went. Actually, there's basically no justification for taking Haynes over him apart from thinking he was a prick. This is all ignoring Langer, who isn't exactly a mile behind those three.

Hayden, Greenidge, Ponting, Richards, S Waugh, Richardson, Gilchrist, Warne, Garner, Marshall, Ambrose for me, though you can basically pick whoever you want from those fast bowlers.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »
I know Hayden had the better average but I'd take Slater over Hayden if you want a really attacking opener.

IMO Slater had to face better opening partnerships as the Windies attack of Walsh and Ambrose, Donald and Pollock for the Saffas, Gough and Malcolm/Caddick, Shoab Aktar, Wasim and Waquar for Pakistan all in their prime.

Don't think Hayden's record in England was that flash either, a bit like Doug Walters for those of a certain vintage. Top player for sure but his era was one of playing against more modest attacks in comparison to Slater/Taylor partnership who had truly great bowling partnerships around.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:49:54 PM by OzVilla »

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »
I wouldn't leave McGrath out, I'd have him ahead of Ambrose but it's a tough call.

He shades it for me because of his nagging accuracy. He was an intelligent bowler and he would pile the pressure on making the batsmen take more risks at the other end again Warne, Marshall and co.

Sir Curtly was a wonderful bowler but a player called McGrath should be in a H&V Aussie/Windies combined XI!

Offline peter w

« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2017, 10:20:52 AM »
Good call for McGrath. Okay he goes in. I did consider Slater as I was always a fan but his career didn't go on for long enough. So he's dropped. Unless I hear a better option Greenidge and Haynes are still opening. Unfortunately for his fans, and I don't care either way about him Hayden still doesn't get a look in.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
I know Hayden had the better average but I'd take Slater over Hayden if you want a really attacking opener.

IMO Slater had to face better opening partnerships as the Windies attack of Walsh and Ambrose, Donald and Pollock for the Saffas, Gough and Malcolm/Caddick, Shoab Aktar, Wasim and Waquar for Pakistan all in their prime.

Don't think Hayden's record in England was that flash either, a bit like Doug Walters for those of a certain vintage. Top player for sure but his era was one of playing against more modest attacks in comparison to Slater/Taylor partnership who had truly great bowling partnerships around.

I think it's a fair point about bowling attacks generally being better in the 90s, particularly with fast bowlers, but I don't think it's enough to cover the differences in their records. The record in England thing - well, I bet every batsman has a place where their average looks a little more spotty than usual.

Just in the Haynes v Hayden discussion though, I'm too young really to think of the 1980s being one filled with great bowlers outside of the Windies either - some individuals like Imran, Hadlee, and the tail ends of Lillee and Willis, but doesn't seem like a huge difference there.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
I was firmly in the Hayden camp until I compared their respective records.

Desmond Haynes: http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/player/52047.html

Matthew Hayden: http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/5616.html

It's always subjective to compare players from different eras, but Haynes' stats are remarkable given the limited amount on limited overs Cricket that was played in those days.

Interestingly enough Hayden's test record is better than Haynes record. I'd have definitely said that would be the other way around.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:11:16 PM by Villan For Life »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal