collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread 2017  (Read 225207 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
The Cricket Thread 2017
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:35:25 AM »
England's one dayers against India start on the 15 January (ok I know there is lot of cricket going on around the world as I write) so time for new thread.

There is also an ulterior motive here. Myself and a good mate have decided to go to Australia for the Ashes. We are planning to be there for the 4th and 5th test. The 4th starts, of course, on Boxing Day in MCG.

Anyway not having been to Australia before let alone an ashes series need some help here from those of you who have done that sort of thing. We are still exploring either joining an organised tour or sorting it all out ourselves so what are the do and don't lists and what would you advise is best course of action? Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:16:13 PM by olaftab »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: The Cricket Thread 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 01:46:51 AM »
Wait, what? They're getting rid of the MCG?

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:57:01 AM »
I expect a pit stop in Tokyo on your journey. It's strip clubs on me!

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
I thought it's the WACA (Perth) which is holding it's last test in the next Ashes?

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »
I thought it's the WACA (Perth) which is holding it's last test in the next Ashes?

I think it is the WACA. The "G" holds iconic status in Aussie cricket, more than the SCG.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »
The Times are reporting a possible increase in South African Kolpak players due to Brexit:

Brexit sparks Kolpak county rush

Richard Hobson, Deputy Cricket Correspondent

Uncertainty over Brexit has prompted an exodus of South Africa players to county cricket on Kolpak contracts, with more expected to agree terms before the start of the season. François Brink, who brokered Stiaan van Zyl’s move to Sussex, said that he advised the all-rounder to sign the three-year deal because the route may be shut once Britain leaves the EU.

Concerns within Cricket South Africa (CSA) at the loss of Test players have escalated amid reports that Kyle Abbott is close to joining Hampshire. CSA officials have sought talks with Weber van Wyk, Abbott’s representative, over the pace bowler, whose career has blossomed to the extent that he may spearhead the attack against England this summer.

Kolpak status precludes a player from representing his or her country and South Africa will be concerned over the future of Abbott, 29, who is opening the bowling in South Africa’s present Test against Sri Lanka.

As well as Van Zyl, who has played 12 Tests, the international pair of Hardus Viljoen and Simon Harmer have agreed Kolpak terms with Derbyshire and Essex respectively. Dane Piedt and Rilee Rossouw have been touted around the counties, while Stephen Cook, the Test opener, is also believed to be susceptible to approaches.

The director of cricket at one leading county reported a rush of interest from South African players and representatives at the end of last season before a quieter period leading into Christmas. “Brexit certainly made people ask questions,” he said. “There is a feeling, perhaps, that if you want that sort of player you should get him now.”

Brink, whose agency also manages Piedt, Vernon Philander, Ryan McLaren and Chris Morris, said: “When Stiaan was offered the chance to go as a Kolpak, we said, ‘Let’s take it because the opportunity may never come again.’ It was certainly a driver in his decision. Our advice to clients is that we have to keep Brexit in mind.

“Nobody knows what will happen, but I have to say that in all my time I have not met a South Africa player whose first ambition has not been to play for South Africa. You take that as far as you can, then adjust your targets accordingly.”

The “Kolpak” term comes from Maros Kolpak, a Slovakian handball player, whose victory in a Luxembourg court in 2003 allowed sportsmen from outside EU countries to be treated as though they were in the Union if their nation had a trade agreement.

An influx of South African cricketers abated when the ECB tightened regulations in 2009. To qualify since, a player must have either appeared in one Test during the previous two years, five in the past five, or in 15 white-ball internationals in two years. However, withdrawal from the EU may leave the Kolpak ruling redundant and block the route completely.

Other factors are also making moves attractive. The toughening of quotas in South Africa’s domestic game so that at least six non-white players feature in each franchise has reduced opportunities for white cricketers. Tony Irish, the chief executive of the South African Cricketers’ Association, also believes that soft currency is a factor.

“We pay in the Rand, which can devalue quite significantly from year to year,” he said. “If you go to England you are paid in pounds, and then dollars for the Twenty20 leagues overseas. A lot of players are going to where they are more valued financially. If there is a chance that Brexit will close the Kolpak loophole, you can see there might be this rush.”

In England, the Professional Cricketers’ Association is monitoring signings. David Leatherdale, the chief executive, said: “Immediately after Brexit, we looked at registrations and found 23 EU or Kolpak players out of 410,” he said. “If that suddenly grew to become an average of two or three per side it might become a concern.”

He suggested that the ECB’s Performance Related Fee Payments, which reward counties for fielding nine England-qualified players, will prevent a wave of imports.

An ECB spokesman said: “We await information on the legal situation post-Brexit and will need to hold detailed discussions with our stakeholders, the government and other sporting bodies before we can comment further.”

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
It is the WACA - and in fact it may not even host this year as the build of the new ground is ahead of schedule (imagine that !). The current itinerary states Perth venue as TBA for both the test and one-dayer scheduled there.
In answer to the original post I have been to the ashes in Oz twice (independently) and planning to go again this year but to Brisbane and Adelaide as they're the 2 I've not been to. I would personally book flights and accommodation separately as I try to get a flat or house to rent some of the time rather than just hotels but it does require a bit of work. There are several tour operators with rights to sell trips and match tickets and they will provide something for all budgets but of course they aren't doing it for nothing. I've not used them personally but I am told Howzat Travel are pretty good and mid-range on price - if nothing else have a look at what they are offering as it will give an idea of likely cost etc.
However you do it I am sure you will enjoy although I fear we may be in for a hammering. If you decide to go for it and want more info I can probably help a bit.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 11:32:02 AM »
Yeah, I knew they were getting rid of the WACA. Silly idea for them, but good news for England, as the Aussies nearly always win there.

Getting rid of the MCG would be like the Romans deciding to build a new amphitheatre and knocking down the Colosseum.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »
OK looks like mis info on MCG and that's not a very good start :-[

Offline olaftab

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 01:02:51 PM »
Yes that would be nice. Didn't really do it justice on our last meeting in November.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 01:06:06 PM »
Yes that would be nice. Didn't really do it justice on our last meeting in November.

Haha. I'll start organising straight away. A happy new year to you mate. I'm currently up in Hokkaido with the in-laws working in their yakitori restaurant. Back to Tokyo tomorrow.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 05:43:55 PM »
Not sure how many players Hampshire have provided for England in recent years compared to Durham but I see they've signed two Koloa players.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »
Not sure how many players Hampshire have provided for England in recent years compared to Durham but I see they've signed two Koloa players.

They are one of the leading "users" of Kolpak players and from what I'm reading there will be a few more Saffers joining the county game under the same rules.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 04:47:21 PM »
England won their warm up game against India A by three wickets. 93 for Sam Billings as they chased down 304 with a few balls to spare.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
Flicking through the channels and noticed that Ian Bell's Perth Scorchers were playing so decided to give it a watch.

Watched one ball, Bell out.

Turned over.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal