collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:10:27 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 11:04:59 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by algy
[Today at 11:04:13 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:01:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pat McMahon
[Today at 10:55:51 PM]

Re: GUESS THE GOAL R25: Europa Conf.🏆 Lille v VILLA Thursday 18th April! 🥅 by Villa Lew
[Today at 10:50:09 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Beard82
[Today at 10:49:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If 41 years ago today was bad so was 40 years ago  (Read 3183 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

If 41 years ago today was bad so was 40 years ago
« on: January 01, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »
Lost 2-0 away  against United.  Totally outplayed and  Burridge at fault for both goals.

Perhaps  only 200 max fans  at Old Trafford that  day - The gaff had a terrible reputation at that time to be fair.

Most of us there were scattered in the ground, I was  with Skinhead  Neil and his brother in the Stretford Paddock.

Nevermind, apart from the Blues this was the low point of the season and one where we eventually enjoyed our high point winning the League Cup in an epic  2nd Replay against Everton, the game being  brought back to 1-1 by a Manc Chris Nicholl - happy days.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: If 41 years ago today was bad so was 40 years ago
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
I was at the Stretford End with my brother John.  That was when Budgie Burridge became frozen to the goal line.  We coined the phrase Budgie's Disease.  Damon wanted to come but he was only five.  He was there for the famous "Down with the Villa.  We're going down with the Villa" game.  Memories memories.

Offline DesBremner

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 08:48:44 PM »
My dad took me (god rest him)
first trip to old Trafford 12 years old
Son he said "it's the biggest sh*t hole you'll ever visit"

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »
I remember this well - as mentioned earlier, it was in the days when barely any visiting fans went to Old Trafford (and yet there always seemed to trouble at Man Utd's away games).

Anyway - New Year's Eve 1976 - and with me and my friend out celebrating, on the strength of a load of lagers I just said "shall we go to Man Utd tomorrow ?" and my mate was up for it as well.  From there we went on to a family friend's party and got back home around 2.30am.  We arranged for my friend to pick me up at about 9.30am in the morning.  I woke up around 9.15am and saw we'd had quite a bit of snow in Great Barr and I thought "did we really say we'd go today - look it's snowing he'll never come in this" and I went back to bed !  ten minutes later I heard my friend pull up outside.

So, off we went, only for his car to break down somewhere around Stoke and although he got he going again, when we got to Manchester we got a bit lost and ended up at Maine Road !  By the time we got to OT it would've been 3.00pm so we quickly parked up and made our way to the ground - only to find out the gates were shut well before kick off !!   We grabbed a burger and made our way back home.

Thankfully all these bad memories were erased a few months later with that never to be forgotten LCF 2nd Replay there - I was stood on the side about 15 yards to the left of half way and I can still picture Chris Nichol's shot leaving his boot !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal