collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 23/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 09:44:42 AM]

FFP by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:39:25 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:33:04 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

International Rugby by nigel
[Today at 07:38:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rock Bottoms  (Read 14245 times)

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
Re: Rock Bottoms
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »
Finally having relegation confirmed at Old Trafford with hardly a whimper. No tears, no defiant 'we'll be back'. Most had been resigned to it since before Christmas and the passion had slowly seeped out of us. We had sunk that low.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 02:44:12 PM »
FA Cup final. Last season. Heavy defeats with no fight. Bradford. Leyton Orient. KMac team selections. The inevitable spiral into relegation after years of stinking out the Premiership (or whatever it is called now) with our insipid, pathetic displays.

Offline Morleys left boot

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »
The FA cup final for me ,when the whole  world  got to see what a big pile of  bollox  we had been reduced to
Hated every minute of it

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
Signing McLeish as manager , he'd just relegated Birmingham City Ffs .

I do believe that was Randys 'fuck you , this is my club' statment to the fans & it was only a matter time before the inevitability of relegation.
Yes, absolutely this. The honeymoon was over and he showed he was going to run/mis-manage it as he saw fit, in spite of the strong concerns of the supporters. Y'know? The lifeblood of the club.

And the 6-0 versus Liverpool, who didn't even (and to be fair didn't need to) get out of first gear that afternoon.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2016, 05:03:23 PM »
The Cup Final yes, Liverpool yes, Lerner getting in his jet and flying to Corsica for McLeish personally, KMac's f*ck you game at Spurs and Gabby's 8 touches, the laughing hyenas on the Secret Santa video some twat decided to make and show on a match day but the lowest I felt was when Remi Garde did not even get to buy one player in the last window of our existence in the Premiership.  Even the goalkeeper we had bought was blocked by the Sunderland CEO, a woman without shame or scruple. 

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »
Hard to pinpoint one exact moment. The Bradford and Chelsea games in Lambert's first season and meek surrenders against countless other sides despite his protestations that we were "excellent" will all be on rotation in Room 101.

Most of last year's starting XI looked like they were individually competing to make it into one of those end of year sporting bloopers compilation shit-fests. Notable contributions from all at various points, a really commendable effort.

On a personal level, it was probably losing to the likes of Watford and Bournemouth at home - and being told that we realistically couldn't expect to beat those sides. The number of games we've had to write off as an unlikely three points had increased from Manchester United, Liverpool et.c from the noughties onwards to just about every other side in the division by the end.

I had misgivings about Garde, but not backing him at all in January was the final grim act of industrial sabotage from that idiotic man-child Lerner.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2016, 05:36:51 PM »
I can agree with most of the above but for me, I was at the Watford game at home last year on my birthday and I realised then that we were gone and I genuinely felt that we were going to be gone for a long time.  Lerner wanted out with no prospective buyer on the horizon so it all seemed so forlorn.  I could have cried that day.

When you can only get to Villa Park infrequently, you always go with that little bit of hope that you are going to win because you are there.  The last six years or so removed that hope.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 06:05:38 PM »
The appointment of every manager post MON were ,in my opinion, a succession of low points that simply underlined the basket case we had become. Its got to the point now that I wouldn't be at all surprised at the appointment of Ian Holloway, Steve McLaren Phil Brown or any of the chancers masquerading as managers.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2016, 07:13:15 PM »
There was a game away at Southampton before the FA Cup Final where they effortlessly and joyously ripped us to shreds. Even after so much disgrace to Villa's good name prior to this, it was a kicker. Here we were being shown how to play the game while we had nothing at all to show in response. Did it end up 6-1 or something? Awful.

Bradford was pretty horrible. Also losing 6-1 to Newcastle when they had just been promoted. All of these times when you wanted Villa to back your case for once, just so we could say, "There, told you!", when all we've done for years is to help solidify the belief in the media and amongst supporters of others clubs that Villa aren't anything special.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 07:25:48 PM »
It feels like we bumped along the bottom for years, dragging through the silt, the detritus, the downright shit, week after week with the odd dalliance with a foot or so off the bottom hoping and praying that it was a corner turned only to have those hopes and dreams crushed a week later by a team like Wigan or Bradford or Watford. The axis of stupidity, Lerner, Fox & Lambert grinning their way through the whole sorry affair completely clueless as to how to reverse the slide or just completely unwilling to do so in the case of Lerner.

Where were the real depths in all this? Liverpool 0-6, FA Cup Final, Bradford, 0-3 Wigan, Houillier at Anfield, the McLeish appointment, the McLeish fist pump after Bolton at home, Micah Richards Christmas video, Lescott's tweet, the bomb squad, how Lambert destroyed Darren Bent, Chelsea 8-0, Erik Black, the Delph video. I'm sure you can add more.

Offline gnrpoison

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2016, 08:37:04 PM »
Perhaps not Rock Bottom but Paul Lambert's first home game in charge, a new start and optimism after what was seen as a horror show of the 2011 - 2012 season. Playing Everton, a team we are hoping to keep on the same level with in the table and we are 3 nil down at half time. We scored in the second half, had a player sent off and Weimann hit the post, maybe it was a sign to come that things were going to get very difficult in the near future.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2016, 08:48:28 PM »
Having endured all of the above and after having long become immune to either pisstakes or even a semblance of hope my even lower point than was last seasons norm was Watford away. I just wanted to see us win again and at 2-1 up and going into injury time I allowed myself to begin to start the thought that we may even win a game again and I'd get back that footy happy feeling again.

A bluenose who wouldn't even have got a sniff of a game for us 5 years ago let alone even be playing against us for a flipping side like Watford scored the winner against us. I nearly never came back after that one.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:01:18 PM by andrew08 »

Offline peter w

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »
The atmosphere at games last season. From booing, to outright unpleasantness, to mockery and laughing at the players. never experienced anything like it. That also led into not looking forward to games and never, ever, expecting to win.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 09:38:56 PM »
The atmosphere at games last season. From booing, to outright unpleasantness, to mockery and laughing at the players. never experienced anything like it. That also led into not looking forward to games and never, ever, expecting to win.

Good point. My Libby does not want to go any more because of this.

Offline nuninho

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 09:47:35 PM »
Yeah, I think that was my lowest point - the Southampton game at home where no-one cared.  There was more interest in the 300 paper planes dotted behind the goal - that will be my enduring memory of a poor season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal