collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:28:13 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:20:02 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by RamboandBruno
[Today at 08:13:06 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 08:11:19 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 08:06:29 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Godfrey Brian
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by algy
[Today at 08:01:14 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 40 Years ago today  (Read 4814 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

40 Years ago today
« on: December 15, 2016, 12:45:48 AM »
Possibly the most amazing match ever at Villa Park. One of those I was there nights. Over to you guys for your memories

Offline peter w

Re: 40 Years ago today
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 05:58:34 AM »
27 yrs ago. What a day.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 06:09:14 AM »
I presume the 5-1 thrashing of Liverpool on 15th December 1976. I actually missed the game! I saw every home game that season except that one. I had a works do that I couldn't avoid. I spoke to John Deehan about that night only last month. He said it was his favourite memory having scored the second and third goals. He thought he'd got his hat-trick in the second half but Clemence pushed his header onto the crossbar! A big pity Gary Newbon sent his Camera men to Derby for a boring 0-0 against Arsenal on Derek Hales debut!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:34:00 PM by Villafirst »

Offline peter w

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 06:10:59 AM »
Wasn't it Trevor East's decision - he being a Derby fan?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 06:30:46 AM »
If only they'd scored another two and finished ninth. We could have a celebration dinner.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 06:48:13 AM »

No, definitely Newbon's decision. He was quoted after saying he sent the cameras to Derby, then went to Villa Park himself and realised what a big mistake he'd made as that amazing first-half unfolded.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »
Remarkable, unforgettable, and simply unbelievable at the time. Emlyn Hughes said Half-time was the ONLY time anyone connected with Liverpool ever saw the magnificent Bob Paisley ever lose his temper.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 07:51:31 AM »
An amazing night. A friend was on the Witton Lane behind the goal with the Liverpool fans (back then it was OK to mix in). At half time one of them got on his knees, his mate asked what he was doing to which he replied "praying for fog".

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 08:00:15 AM »
My two abiding memories of this are half-time sitting on the Holte terracing I lit a fag and a lad sat beside and asked for one, we smoked the cigarettes silently, finished them looked at each other and he just said "fucking 'ell". I just nodded.

Then when I got home dancing on our Scouse-loving (but not Scouse) neighbour's front lawn and chanting uncomplimentary songs. My old man came out and dragged me in but not before said neighbour popped his head out the door and my dad joined in the piss-taking.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 08:10:13 AM »
I was on the Witton end that night, with a spouse mate unbelievable.  In all the time I've followed the Villa this is my favourite game. To our younger supports all our goals were scored at the Witton end.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 08:10:24 AM »
Remarkable, unforgettable, and simply unbelievable at the time. Emlyn Hughes said Half-time was the ONLY time anyone connected with Liverpool ever saw the magnificent Bob Paisley ever lose his temper.

Second half Emlyn Hughes played as if his life depended on it - he was desperate we didn't score any more. I remember he was giving Phil Thompson stick for not trying. 2nd half when we were attacking the Holte was a bit of an anti climax. Keegan was absolutely crap.

Offline somersetlion

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 08:42:40 AM »
I was born in 1976 so missed this one.  3 - 1 semi against Tranmere for me.  Obviously the result but the thing I most remember is the atmosphere.  Songs were coming from all sides, not just the Holte.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »

No, definitely Newbon's decision. He was quoted after saying he sent the cameras to Derby, then went to Villa Park himself and realised what a big mistake he'd made as that amazing first-half unfolded.

Derek Hales debut for Derby against Arsenal. He had scored 72 goals in 128 games in the lower divisions for Charlton. The game was 0-0, Hales failed to impress and moved on after just 27 games.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
Thank you for lifting my spirits with memories of this game. It was 45 mins of fantasy football. I recall Emlyn Hughes running around as though he was demented.

Scoucers back in Liverpool were asking whether there was fog on the pitch?

Offline peter w

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 10:06:17 AM »

Yeah, but that implies they were terrible rather than we were brilliant.

So you can dig up Hughes, tell him to feck off, and bury him again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal