collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Upper Trinity opening  (Read 16309 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Upper Trinity opening
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
They most certainly do deserve to be in the Championship but there are football clubs and there are football clubs.  Like Ads I am basically a snob.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2016, 10:55:27 AM »
I don't understand the view that it's a ridiculous fixture, they are in our league.

It's like suggesting Everton v Solihull Moors is going to be a possible league fixture in the future.

Not so long back, Burton were not even in the leagues, let alone the same one as us.  On merit, the two sides are going to be facing each other but I do get the "ridiculous" angle.

I think Burton's achievements have been outstanding and coupled with our decline, we are where we are.

Regarding the game being a sell out, I will hold my hands up and state that had I been asked a month ago what the attendance would be today, I certainly wouldn't have suggested 40,000 +.  It is another example of the potential of our support.  The challenge for me on this front is to see if we can get another 3 or 4,000 regularly, between now and May, averaging 35,000 per game.  We still have some potentially big games coming up as well as the Derby.  Now we've hit the 40,000 figure once, I'm hopeful that we can do it at least once more between now and the end of the season.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:00:50 AM by Old Kodjia »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2016, 10:58:04 AM »
They deserve to be in the Championship, and so do we. Hopefully we'll be back where we belong sooner rather than later.

Hopefully in a few years time we'll look back to playing likes of Burton as a nice bit of nostalgia as we go back to 2007-10 mode.

Today's our equivalent of Man. City playing Macclesfield in league fixtures as they did in 1998-99.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »
They deserve to be in the Championship, and so do we. Hopefully we'll be back where we belong sooner rather than later.

Hopefully in a few years time we'll look back to playing likes of Burton as a nice bit of nostalgia as we go back to 2007-10 mode.

Today's our equivalent of Man. City playing Macclesfield in league fixtures as they did in 1998-99.
In my first season as a regular at VP, we payed teams like Rochdale & Tranmere.  I was fortunate enough to be taken to be taken to a few away games and that enabled me to steal a march on many younger Villa fans in the popular count up of "grounds visited".

For me, one of the good things about this season is that we are totally removed from the boring monopoly of the top 5 or 6 in the Premiership.  I haven't enjoyed my football as much for many years, I'm keen to watch it again, I'm keen to talk about it again and cannot wait for the next game to come around.  Part of the reason is the magic of the league we are in and the ability for anybody to beat anybody on the day.  Burton are an example of what can be achieved.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »
Does that boring Monopoly include Leicester? The reason that the Premier league has been shit for us is because we've been shit ourselves for too long.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »
We live up to our proud name in almost every respect, apart from the actual kicking of footballs, in which case we consistently punch below our considerable weight. Burton on the other hand are punching well above theirs, so I respect them for what they have achieved.

Here they are scrapping it out in front of a crowd of 40,000 in the second tier. Imagine if we had their sense of determination and sheer bloody-mindedness in achieving all we're capable of? We'd be in the Champions League instead of the Chumps League.

The day we show that kind of application and attainment according to our size, on the pitch where it really matters, week in, week out, is the day I'll feel comfortable snorting at having to play the likes of Burton in the league.   

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2016, 12:22:53 PM »
Does that boring Monopoly include Leicester? The reason that the Premier league has been shit for us is because we've been shit ourselves for too long.

For you, that may well be correct.  However, I was speaking for myself, hence starting the sentence: "For me.."

I am enjoying the season immensely.  As we have discovered, there are no easy games and anyone can beat anyone on the day.  There are some top class managers and players in the division and the league is unbelievably competitive.

Do I want to stay in this division?  Of course not.  That doesn't mean that I'm not enjoying the experience and if I'm honest, I have far greater respect for the division than I did 12 months ago, when I knew little about it.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2016, 02:28:34 PM »
Forgot about this bit. Been in the queue for a drink for nearly ten minutes, and I'm still miles from getting served. Open the bar? Now why would they do that?

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2016, 02:36:28 PM »
Forgot about this bit. Been in the queue for a drink for nearly ten minutes, and I'm still miles from getting served. Open the bar? Now why would they do that?
Is it dusty?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »
As the club knew exactly how many tickets had been sold I rather expected them to open more TR turnstiles to allow people in.

Queues in the local pubs were ridiculous as well, long may it continue.

Offline brexit villa

« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2016, 03:33:21 PM »
Though I don't watch games from the Trinity it was good to see the upper tier open. Hopefully the start of something more regular then permanent.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal