collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Sunderland FA Cup Final 1913  (Read 3148 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Villa v Sunderland FA Cup Final 1913
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 10:12:01 AM »
Ha! Never heard that before.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 11:43:26 PM »
That is brilliant. Cheers for posting

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 12:05:02 AM »
What percentage of that huge crowd would have been Villa and Sunderland supporters do you reckon?  I mean - in those days did people follow their favorite teams away from home or would an event like this have been mainly attended by neutrals going along to witness a great sporting event?

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 10:29:38 PM »
Just being nosy DaveH1874, what was the relations surname?
I have a limited knowledge of the pre-war stiffs, so his name might ring a bell with me.
Up until a few years before WWI the reserves won the Birmingham League with regularity, as well as regularly making the Finals of the Birmingham Senior Cup & Staffs Senior Cup.

Offline peter w

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 05:42:51 AM »
I know I mentioned it on the Memories thread when this was posted on there but i often wonder what players were like from this era and before and whether us of today could easily just turn up and live with the footballers, and game, of then. Equipment would make it a lot harder (ball, boots) but in terms of general skill and ability. Seeing that this is Villa only 30 years old would my ability be good enough - having people being brought up in a football culture and exposed to it thus allowing more people to play and be of a decent standard. And then I see the Villa left-winger (again I asked who it was previously and to my shame can't remember who it is - Joe Bache?) and you can see he was a very good player. Built like a winger has a lovely posture and shape for a winger, a little back heeled pass whilst moving, one or two lovely little touches, a great winger trick of control with one foot and in the next movement take the ball away from the defender. Never mind whether I could play with this lot, that left winger would be a great player today.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 10:36:22 AM »
Excellent stuff - great video too.
Only thing that lets it down is the complete lack of painted bedsheets in the crowd. Fickle.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 08:39:18 AM »
17 minutes added on time. I think I'd die if we were 1-0 up in the Cup Final and the referee added on that long....
Was Fergies granddad one of the managers?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal