collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Last day on the Holte 1994 VS Liverpool  (Read 5491 times)

Offline somec

• GM : 01.08.2020
Re: Last day on the Holte 1994 VS Liverpool
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 03:24:44 PM »
One of my biggest-ever financial mistakes - thinking we'd only sell as many of the special H&Vs as for a normal game. I ended up with me handing them out, Greg who had been passing and got roped in bending down every thirty seconds to grab another pile and his wife taking the money. We'd sold out by ten to two and had two re-prints done. 

That special H&V was great, best ever issue in my opinion.

I agree.

I have got rid of most of my old programmes and fanzines but I will keep that one forever.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »
I realise that was the last time I was in the Holte, I've never sat in the stand.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2016, 04:47:02 PM »
That was a great time to go to Villa Park. Looking back, that last game on the Holte was really something special, as though it had to end that way. I was on the left side, as always. What an atmosphere. When Yorke scored that goal...great memories.

In that period, the Tranmere game was also immense, as was the Inter game, although the fact that the Holte was being re-developed probably just puts it a shade lower for me. I was right behind the goal in the Lower North that night. Great times.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 04:54:55 PM »
I realise that was the last time I was in the Holte, I've never sat in the stand.

Likewise - the last time I was in the Holte End when we lost 1-0 to Man. Utd in 1991 - I seem to remember their goal was a penalty, but I can't remember who scored it !!!!   So, apart from being given a ticket for a game in 2002 - that's it for me in the new Holte End.

That was the time when I knew it was time to go back to where I started life at Villa Park in 1967 - the dear old Trinity Road Stand.

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 12:33:19 PM »

Likewise - the last time I was in the Holte End when we lost 1-0 to Man. Utd in 1991 - I seem to remember their goal was a penalty, but I can't remember who scored it !!!!   So, apart from being given a ticket for a game in 2002 - that's it for me in the new Holte End.

That was the time when I knew it was time to go back to where I started life at Villa Park in 1967 - the dear old Trinity Road Stand.

Big Ron's first home game. Pretty sure Hughes scored after Robson went down as though he had been shot.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 03:00:08 PM »
I thought it was our manager that took it for them, could be Hughes though.

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 03:23:20 PM »
I thought it was our manager that took it for them, could be Hughes though.

I have just googled this and I bow to your better memory. It was Bruce who took that penalty.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 05:03:35 PM »
We beat Arsenal the following Saturday. Gary Penrice scored for us, his only Villa goal I believe. Tony Daley got a stunner too plus a Staunton penalty.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »
Left Siders but my brothers and could only get on the right side that day. At least we got in! I have a whole brick that came from the Holte when it was finally demolished as one of my Villa "treasures"

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »

Big Ron's first home game. Pretty sure Hughes scored after Robson went down as though he had been shot.

It was also my first home game as a season ticket holder. I was 7 years old.  I've had a season ticket ever since. I'm 32 now!

Offline ez

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2016, 09:07:41 PM »
I think it was declared a flag day but nobody told the stewards who were taking them off people at the turnstiles. Many years later i bought a chunk of holte end concrete on a little wooden plinth off ebay for a few quid. I still have it somewhere. Apparently the club were selling them in the souvenir shop for a while.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 10:16:43 AM »
I was stood on the left side of the Holte (as usual) and I still have the certificate stored away somewhere in the loft.
If I can find the photos I will try and post them at some point.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 10:33:14 AM »
I found the certificate in one of my drawers the other day. It's quite badly faded from being pinned on my bedroom wall in sunny Shrewsbury for a good few years.

Offline big 1st serve

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 12:31:39 PM »
Its good to know that Dave Chance can still pull a crowd.
He was the "turn" at a residential care home in New Oscott on Sat night.
The residents were advised to boo any rendition of YNWA.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 02:40:17 PM »
Its good to know that Dave Chance can still pull a crowd.
He was the "turn" at a residential care home in New Oscott on Sat night.
The residents were advised to boo any rendition of YNWA.

That has Phoenix Nights written all over it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal