collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Last day on the Holte 1994 VS Liverpool  (Read 5533 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Last day on the Holte 1994 VS Liverpool
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 07:27:08 PM »
I don't think there is a  great deal of  difference between the atmosphere on the Holte to the stand today.  Sure for some big  games in particular Blues it was something special, for anything but the bigger games the stand was fairly quite. 

What I do remember though was going through each player when they came out to warm up prior to kick off.  Less anti blues songs and more Villa.

One of the best atmospheres was the cup tie v Port Vale just before the QPR league cup semi.

PS if anyone can copy and send me one of the Certificates I would be really grateful.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 12:11:18 AM »
I was living in Paris and came back for this. I was amazed tolerance when I got home the night before that it was all ticket - a rarity in those days - and was sold out. Undeterred, I arrived early, begged and pleaded with strangers for a spare and managed to get one about 15 minutes to kick off.

It was on the right side of the Holte - I was a left sider - and at the end I ran around and managed to catch up with 2 mates on our usual spot on the left side. I knew them from university, and one had moved to Exeter by then, but in those pre-Internet days had no mobile or email addresses for them. As the all seater Holte came along, and dispersal of the old clusters, I have never seen either since.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 07:39:28 AM »
Dave Chance in a pink suit.Big Ron should have sung "Dwight Yorke Dwight Yorke".

Still got the certificate the turnstile operators handed out somewhere.

They never gave me one!

Offline peter w

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
I don't think there is a  great deal of  difference between the atmosphere on the Holte to the stand today.  Sure for some big  games in particular Blues it was something special, for anything but the bigger games the stand was fairly quite. 

What I do remember though was going through each player when they came out to warm up prior to kick off.  Less anti blues songs and more Villa.

One of the best atmospheres was the cup tie v Port Vale just before the QPR league cup semi.

PS if anyone can copy and send me one of the Certificates I would be really grateful.

I think Port Vale was just after not before. 3-0?

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »
Best atmosphere I remember ever was Inter Milan in 1994.  Ground was rocking that night. edged out Tranmere in my opinion.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 08:12:20 AM »
Athletico madrid was quality

Offline peter w

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 06:05:46 AM »
Bradford 87-88

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 07:19:02 AM »
Athletico madrid was quality

Bilbao and Bucharest weren't shabby either.

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 08:55:26 AM »
I was working at VP back then on the turnstiles. I was given a turnstile on the left side of the Holte that day.

I may have made a few quid extra that day.

I have never counted my stubs so quickly and weighed them in, literally by 10 past three I was done.

Great atmosphere, then off into town. Billy's bar then the Actress and Bishop in St. Pauls square.

Got back into Redditch about 4.00 am. My ex went mental!

That was without her knowing what happened with the tea girl!!

Happy days!

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 10:54:52 AM »
Best atmosphere I remember ever was Inter Milan in 1994.  Ground was rocking that night. edged out Tranmere in my opinion.

I've experienced many magical atmospheres on all the big games from between the late 1960s up until I stopped going regularly in the mid 1990s - but I agree with Deanno - this was the best of all.  I was in the Doug Ellis Stand level with the Witton End penalty - a superb place to be for the shoot out and Phil King's unforgettable minute of fame.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »

I've experienced many magical atmospheres on all the big games from between the late 1960s up until I stopped going regularly in the mid 1990s - but I agree with Deanno - this was the best of all.  I was in the Doug Ellis Stand level with the Witton End penalty - a superb place to be for the shoot out and Phil King's unforgettable minute of fame.
So was I - and part of the reason that it was probably such a good atmosphere was we had to sit in there as our seats in the Holte weren't built yet!

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
I was working at VP back then on the turnstiles. I was given a turnstile on the left side of the Holte that day.

I may have made a few quid extra that day.

I have never counted my stubs so quickly and weighed them in, literally by 10 past three I was done.

Great atmosphere, then off into town. Billy's bar then the Actress and Bishop in St. Pauls square.

Got back into Redditch about 4.00 am. My ex went mental!

That was without her knowing what happened with the tea girl!!

Happy days!

Have you got my certificate? (smiley emoticon thingy)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »
One of my biggest-ever financial mistakes - thinking we'd only sell as many of the special H&Vs as for a normal game. I ended up with me handing them out, Greg who had been passing and got roped in bending down every thirty seconds to grab another pile and his wife taking the money. We'd sold out by ten to two and had two re-prints done. 

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 12:05:46 PM »
One of my biggest-ever financial mistakes - thinking we'd only sell as many of the special H&Vs as for a normal game. I ended up with me handing them out, Greg who had been passing and got roped in bending down every thirty seconds to grab another pile and his wife taking the money. We'd sold out by ten to two and had two re-prints done. 

That special H&V was great, best ever issue in my opinion.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 12:09:26 PM »

That special H&V was great, best ever issue in my opinion.

It was responsible for one of the great moments of life. Answering the phone to be met by "Hello David. This is Ron Saunders 'ere."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal