collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Last day on the Holte 1994 VS Liverpool  (Read 5520 times)

Online Deano's Mullet

Last day on the Holte 1994 VS Liverpool
« on: December 08, 2016, 10:24:12 PM »

This was the biggest crowd anywhere in the first two seasons (maybe even three) of the Premiership, 45,000. I was in the North Stand Upper that day and remember the singer trying to get the Holte End to sing You'll Never Walk Alone which didn't go down too well. We were on a bad run following the League Cup Final win but thankfully Yorkie sent us all home happy. if I remember the national papers barely mentioned it was the last day of the Holte compared to a week earlier when the Kop at Anfield was used for the last time. A year later and Yorke got another double in the final home game against the same opposition which essentially kept us from being relegated.

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Last day on the Holte 1994 VS Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:37:07 PM »
Was in Aus that year so another wish I was there moment.

As for YNWA - not sure when and where it stopped being sung by other teams.  I remember OT and  Rotterdam when certainly the Villa belted it out at the end of both games.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:35:07 AM »
A great day, made all the sweeter by beating "the Kop", who lost their last match in front of their famous terrace to Norwich the week before. The less said about Dave Chance, his pink suit and ill advised "turn" the better.

The Vine was bouncing afterwards, singing "Happy Days are here again" about Small Heath going down while everyone danced on the tables, chairs and the pool table.
There were two Scousers in there that were shitfaced on Diamond White, taking the lead from all the Villa fans who claimed souvenirs from The Holte, one of them scaled the outside of the pub and proceeded to remove the "Vine" gold lettering for posterity to good natured barracking from us watching on the pavement.

And I fell asleep on the bus home.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:56:19 AM »
Dave Chance in a pink suit.Big Ron should have sung "Dwight Yorke Dwight Yorke".

Still got the certificate the turnstile operators handed out somewhere.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »
I've still got the sign I liberated during the game

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 12:10:17 PM »
I was 13 and only really fell in love with the Holte a few months before, think Swindon 5-0 was the deal breaker. A very enjoyable day and rare win following the LC final. Any other opposition and YNWA might have been acceptable but they all lifted their scarves and flags as you'd expect and the crescendo of boos from the Holte meant you literally couldn't hear him singing. I distinctly remember a bit of a pause in the cacophony to see if it'd finished then the boos starting right back up when it was apparent it hadn't.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:12:15 PM »
And you're right about the media coverage or lack of it. Think we were last on MOTD compared to wall to wall coverage of the Kop.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 01:38:37 PM »
Yeah, isn't there better highlights on the season review vid showing people nicking brickwork and signage?

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 05:21:55 PM »
I remember people coming out of the bogs with toilet seats around their necks. Rather them than me! I still have the programme and certificate.

Offline Confusious says

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »
I thought it hilarious the singing of the Liverpool anthem in front of the Holte when the singer   Dave Chance (David Williams) was obviously miming and when the boo's and flack came from the Holte he had to keep miming because the tannoy was still playing. How embarrassing for him even in his pink suit

Online Simon Page

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 07:34:45 PM »
It was said, and may well be true, Dave Chance and others advised against the song but were overruled. Poor bugger, but it added a surreal and memorable twist to one of the best days I've ever had supporting the Villa.

Online steamer

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 08:40:09 PM »
Having stood, swayed, sang and cried on the Holte between 68 and 78 I have so many memories.
The Holte at its most Majestic had to be in games against the Blues, Albion, Utd and Lverpool.
Specials, Arsenal, poor Bob Wilson having to run up to the Holte for the Cup replay, second leg League cup game against Utd, Sunderland for the promotion game, some menacing ones against Blues and albion, 5-1 Liverpool. Any game at the beginning of the balloons phase,  A festive Few over Christmas and new year, Torquay utd Last but one game of the 71/72 promotion season.  We were ( I think ) already promoted or guaranteed if we won.
All around the Holte there were groups,(older guys than me) who had brought in bottles of Champagne and beers, no public safety in those days.
, and had a party. 37,000 against Torquay !!!
I brought my kids to witness a Blues game at Villa Park, we sat in the upper Trinity opposite the Noses.
5-1
I have been blessed, they will never forget that day , the view of the Holte in all its glory.
Nor the later celebrations.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 08:51:56 PM »
The last time I had to carry the crates into the Holte for the kids to stand on and getting there at 1.30 to ensure their place behind the barrier.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »
Despite having been a ST holder on the Holte for a number of years, I ended up missing this game due to my sister getting married that day. I've never forgiven her.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 07:55:48 AM »
one of my friends was on her honeymoon and i never her forget lol. she still goes but the other half does not like football

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal