collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa at Goodison  (Read 5917 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Villa at Goodison
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 11:28:02 AM »
sure that was a saturday game.  Terrible  spec, crap ground, used to be  a dangerous place to  visit  - just don't like em.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
It was August 31, sure it was an evening game. Someone will be able to work it out, I'm sure

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 01:37:01 PM »
I remember their fans giving Southgate grief all game long for the penalty miss from the Euros, so that must have been at the start of the 96-97 season.  I don't remember the result.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 05:17:24 PM »
my Daughter and I were at the Ashley Young 2-3 match in 2008. Unfortunately we were guests of an Evertonian so on our best behaviour in the VIP section, but the smiles on our faces couldn't be disguised as we left our seats at the end after Young scored the winner straight after Lescott scored the second equaliser, sheer joy!

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 07:55:09 PM »
You're forgetting our record there in the 90s too, we regularly did the double over them.

1993 Whittingham debut goal in the green and black Muller kit

Remember going to this one ( evening game?) and it was at the time when Refs used to wear green shirts and black shorts. I'm sure the ref and linesmen changed into white Everton away shirts in the second half.

Definitely an evening game in late August or early September and yes the officials changed into white kits. We went the year before when Mo Johnson got an 89th minute winner so it was great to get a win up there just after.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:01 PM »
I remember their fans giving Southgate grief all game long for the penalty miss from the Euros, so that must have been at the start of the 96-97 season.  I don't remember the result.

1-0 Ehiogu

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 08:23:44 AM »
The visit I always remember (but not too clearly) was an FA Cup 3rd round match late 70's/early 80's. We lost 4-1 but I was so drunk I thought we had won 1-0 having fallen asleep in the toilets for most of the match. We drank in the Everton supporters club before and after having a marvellous time (despite a fracas with some scallies right after the match). We always seemed to get on with Evertonians until a few years ago when they turned snotty on us.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 10:00:45 AM »
The FA cup match was Jan  78 - We were supposed to have been playing them a  week after in the league but the game got postponed with me having  travelled up from London already reached Stafford.

The FA game was naff  we  were terrible.  If I remember the Chelsea v Liverpool game kicked off at 2pm and the Evertonians were overjoyed  because  Chelsea won 4-1 or 4-2. 

We hit a bit of a blip in 78 sorry JJ but your dad  didn't help running away to Wolves. 

The highlights  that season were the Bilbao and Barcelona games. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »
Well obviously 3-3 stands out...

But 0-1 I think the following season where we kind of had a watered down half-time version of the 3-3 game with half-time singing. Plus Platt cleared off the line but it was a (I think ) header from Mountfield that was going in for 1-1. Platt somehow managed to hook the ball back from the goal line as he tried to prod it in.

2-0 win I think in 91-92 (or maybe the year after) when we played well. Sure Tony Daley scored a nice goal in that one.

Other than that the 3-2 Ashley Young game was simply triffic.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 08:15:05 PM »
One of our best results there, was in the old League Cup 1974, when we beat them in a replay 3 - 0 having drawn 1 - 1 at VP.

We were in the old 2nd Division and the great Ron had just taken over as boss. We then went on to win the League Cup and get promoted.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 09:34:43 PM »
It was August 31, sure it was an evening game. Someone will be able to work it out, I'm sure

It was a Tuesday night, if memory serves.

The 3-3 end of season was magnificent, but my favourite by miles was when Merson banged the last minute winner.

We didn't take many, live on Sky on Bonfire Night. We were in the lower Bullens and it pissed down on us all game, those exposed choose to sing relentlessly a thorough catalogue of songs from days gone by to stave of the boredom from the lack of action on the pitch.

I'm pretty sure it was the first time "My old man...." rear its head for years, it was a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon despite everything around us trying to spoil it, and then bang, right at the death a stroke of genius wins it.

Glorious.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
I always seem to treat myself to a restricted view when I watch us at Goodison. Yorke's woeful display in the last away game of the season before he wrapped his bangers in and joined another club stands out for me. I was also there when Fash the Bash made his debut.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 04:38:36 PM »
That Fashanu debut game was first match of the season wasn't it? Exciting 2-2 draw. I remember two lovable Evertonian urchins outside beforehand bemoaning the fact that the Villa team was 'full of n***ers.'

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2016, 11:32:02 AM »
That Fashanu debut game was first match of the season wasn't it? Exciting 2-2 draw. I remember two lovable Evertonian urchins outside beforehand bemoaning the fact that the Villa team was 'full of n***ers.'

It was indeed.

Offline neil strevens

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 09:29:23 PM »
1976/7 in August. Villa won 2-0, great display. I was sat in the Upper Bullens and several hundred Villa fans were led out of the Park End of the ground by the police with about 10 minutes to go. Never seen that before or since - maybe for their own protection.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:10:29 PM by neil strevens »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal