collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Shaw.  (Read 6995 times)

Offline badluckeric(gates)

Re: Gary Shaw.
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 02:25:50 PM »
Could have been an all time great. He had the instinct of Greaves in the penalty area.  Considering his size, he was very strong with the ball played up to him. His touch in playing in Withe and Morley was exceptional.
Like he plays in Dennis Mortimer for the second here.

https://youtu.be/ldOT57FtsIc

One of my favourite goals that I've seen scored live at Villa Park. That was the result when I started to really believe that we could win the league.

Get well soon Gary Shaw, Gary Shaw, Gary Gary Shaw.
I was in the Holte that day too and the memory of Dennis running straight at us clean through is still sharp today, and correct me if im wrong but i'm sure I recall we were all singing 'we'll be top by 5 o'clock. (and we were) great times.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »
Saw Gary last Summer playing in a charity cricket match and at Edgbaston for the test match, he loves his cricket.
Sadly limping badly and on both occasions, but what a player he was.
Not just a goalscorer, he had clever link play and was particularly in tune with Sid on the pitch..what might have been but for that tackle by that twat Bowyer at Nottingham Forest.
Get well soon Gary, Villa ledge.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 03:07:28 AM »
Could have been an all time great. He had the instinct of Greaves in the penalty area.  Considering his size, he was very strong with the ball played up to him. His touch in playing in Withe and Morley was exceptional.

The goal that showed his strength of holding the ball up was Tony Morley's goal at Everton when we won the League.  I will never forget that goal as we were front row of the seats above the Villa fans right behind the goal and knew as soon as he hit it that it was going to be a goal.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 09:18:27 AM »

The goal that showed his strength of holding the ball up was Tony Morley's goal at Everton when we won the League.  I will never forget that goal as we were front row of the seats above the Villa fans right behind the goal and knew as soon as he hit it that it was going to be a goal.

I was at that match too.  I think I've posted before that, when the ball hit the net from Morley's shot, it was still picking up speed.  Also, wasn't our second goal by Denis Mortimer  very similar to the one scored by him against Liverpool that is currently being discussed.  A great game.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »

That touch and spin was outrageous.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
Gary Shaw was fouled as he played that ball through to Tony Morley which made it all the better.  As a referee I picked that up and, also noticed at the time that the referee played a great advantage, as at that time he couldn't have known that it would end up with a goal like that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal