collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ing ever onward  (Read 2446 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Press-ing ever onward
« on: November 27, 2016, 11:15:36 PM »
I could enjoy this "Writing about a win" lark.

http://thebirminghampress.com/2016/11/its-all-in-the-mind/

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
Re: Press-ing ever onward
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 11:33:35 PM »
I bet.  Must have been tempting to throw the pen away over the last couple of years.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »
Another good read Dave.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 09:45:55 AM »
Now on our FB Page.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:46:59 AM »
I had visions of Dave understandably (unable to take it any longer) falling on his pen, harakiri, Japanese samurai stylee.

Offline peter w

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:00:17 AM »
Interesting to read about Grealish's performance as I don't think many on here included him as their MOTM.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 10:18:43 AM »
I would have put Grealish as joint MOTM with Amavi.

Offline Morleys left boot

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:27:38 AM »
makes good reading Dave ,i got jack down for my man of the match i thought it was his best game for a long time

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 09:57:08 PM »
I'd give MOTD to Grealish too, but I thought Chester had his best game for us. Gollini doesn't often come off his line and the back four plus Jedinak dealt efficiently with crosses and corners.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 11:14:24 PM »
I'd give MOTD to Grealish too, but I thought Chester had his best game for us. Gollini doesn't often come off his line and the back four plus Jedinak dealt efficiently with crosses and corners.

We were talking about that t'other day. Is it just a Villa thing or do keepers seem a lot less dominant than they used to?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 01:13:39 AM »

We were talking about that t'other day. Is it just a Villa thing or do keepers seem a lot less dominant than they used to?

Referees don't allow them to "clean out" anyone in their way anymore, and managers like Fergie, Wenger and Mouriinho got clever with bending any rule change by having players deliberately standing offside and using players purely for blocking.

When Peter McParland was asked about the Man Utd goalkeeper after a certain FA Cup  final, he said:   "he shouldn't have been in the fucking way".

An old cynic would say that football has become gentrified or poncified for its new audience.

Offline peter w

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 09:58:22 AM »

I think things changed with the back pass rule. because keepers can't just come to the edge of the box to pick the ball up from a team mate they are forced to be deeper when the opposition have the ball and tend to barely venture out. I also think with the better athleticism and lighter balls keepers venturing to far off their goal line will find themselves beaten more often than not than seen previously. I think that has all contributed to keepers taking the safety first option of staying where they are more often than not. (You can throw in the change in the offside rule too).

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 10:04:05 AM »
Good piece as always Dave. There were positive signs all over the pitch on Saturday, I actually want to pay to go and watch my team again. That bit of skill from Kodjia in the second half where he beat the Cardiff player with a game of charades was one of the best tricks I've seen at a football match. It would be easy to get carried away it's part of us Villa fans DNA but to see lads coming towards the fans after the game looking happy, enjoying their football and showing signs of togetherness is a step in the right direction. Acid test on Saturday get something there and I will start to believe it's 1988 again.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 10:06:45 AM »
When was the last time we had 3 or 4 genuine contenders for MOTM ?
We are making steady progression for sure.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal