collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Staunton bankrupt  (Read 9950 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: Steve Staunton bankrupt
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »
Last time I saw Staunton he was walking down Savile Row with an arm full of shopping bags. He still looked badly dressed.

Last time I saw him he was drinking in the Sacred Heart before the Albion cup game last year

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »
That's it in a nutshell.  People like Staunton and Alex Ferguson "invested" money in film schemes, that were designed purely to avoid tax.  When those schemes failed, the people involved have to pay back the tax, plus penalties, plus interest, which can be several times what they put in, in the first place.  Plus they would have paid a fee to the promoter which they wouldn't get back.

I'm going out in a limb here but I'd suggest you don't have an intimate knowledge of either Steve Staunton's or Alex Ferguson's tax affairs. If the government are going to offer tax incentives to support investment in to the UK film industry there must be some legitimate ways of utilising them.

It could be as simple as Stan thought that it was a good investment and the film bombed. It happens. The fact he's declared bankruptcy doesn't immediately imply he was in to some dodgy tax scam.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 06:54:33 PM »
He is still only forty seven, a long way to go yet. He will lose the standard of living his family are used to but a lot of people are in a far worse position.

Money,after all isn't everything. Will no doubt get a job as a pundit in Ireland perhaps if he is lucky.

Stan unfortunately became of a figure of fun in Ireland after his efforts as international manager. Media work really isnt his forte, nor management.

Offline Dominic22

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 07:50:31 PM »
That's it in a nutshell.  People like Staunton and Alex Ferguson "invested" money in film schemes, that were designed purely to avoid tax.  When those schemes failed, the people involved have to pay back the tax, plus penalties, plus interest, which can be several times what they put in, in the first place.  Plus they would have paid a fee to the promoter which they wouldn't get back.

I'm going out in a limb here but I'd suggest you don't have an intimate knowledge of either Steve Staunton's or Alex Ferguson's tax affairs. If the government are going to offer tax incentives to support investment in to the UK film industry there must be some legitimate ways of utilising them.

It could be as simple as Stan thought that it was a good investment and the film bombed. It happens. The fact he's declared bankruptcy doesn't immediately imply he was in to some dodgy tax scam.

Have  a read of this to give you an idea http://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/news/football-stars-face-life-changing-tax-bills-over-film-scheme/a972226 . Lots of the investors (footballers) had the same agents or firm of agents. These firms were introducers to the financial advisors they were taking a hefty "introducer fee" on the investment. Lots are in real trouble including a fair few ex Villa players some still playing. Unfortunately the advising firm's were complete charlatans all Ltd companies and so most are now wound-up so no avenue to claim redress. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:52:06 PM by Dominic22 »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 08:06:45 PM »

I don't need to have an intimate knowledge of their tax affairs.  I do though, have an in depth knowledge of how the film schemes work, how they were promoted, and the fact that thus far the schemes run by Ingenious have been defeated at tribunal.  It's also a matter of public record as to who invested in those schemes.  I'm afraid that it's with a huge amount of pomposity that I say that I do consider myself to be an expert on such matters.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 08:38:45 PM »
Shame you aren't an expert on quoting  ;)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »
... film schemes, that were designed purely to avoid tax.  When those schemes failed, the people involved have to pay back the tax, plus penalties, plus interest, which can be several times what they put in, in the first place. 

As their vast wealth has ultimately come from us through extortionate ticket prices and TV subscriptions, it will be nice to see at least a small trifling amount perhaps maybe just finding its way back towards the  NHS, Education, Social Services instead of  Porsches, Rolex watches, and large horrible looking houses. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:58:19 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2016, 08:15:55 AM »
Apparently Gabby has a load of houses as well

His kids need to live somewhere.

I remember back in the 90s someone sent Steve Staunton's tax return into the Danny Baker Show.  I can't remember what he earned, but apparently he added the extra information "...and more if I score".

I remember that - it was very amusing.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2016, 09:24:05 AM »
Serves them right for being greedy.  My old man always used to say don;t mind paying tax, you've got to earn it in the first place to pay it.  If they're earning massively over average wages pay your 50%, you're still earning loads.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2016, 09:27:10 AM »
Trap 3 at Hove came nowhere so I will not be investing money in the production of the next bond movie.

I've just visited Trap 1 and I can assure you there were no winners there either.

MY EYES!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2016, 09:43:24 AM »
I met him a couple of times seems a decent enough chap.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 11:03:37 AM »
Shame you aren't an expert on quoting  ;)

Wasn't me what arsed it up!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »
Serves them right for being greedy.  My old man always used to say don;t mind paying tax, you've got to earn it in the first place to pay it.  If they're earning massively over average wages pay your 50%, you're still earning loads.
My dad said the same and I still disagree with him.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2016, 11:15:12 AM »

I just don't think the lyrics scan very well...

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2016, 11:20:11 AM »

I just don't think the lyrics scan very well...
My old man said pay all the tax you can.
And I said I've hired a Tax Accountant.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal