collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:44:10 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:40:18 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:44:10 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:43:25 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:41:54 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:40:18 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:38:03 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Colin Calderwood - Confirmed  (Read 4524 times)

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

Colin Calderwood - Confirmed
« on: November 21, 2016, 12:01:54 PM »
Welcome home Colin.
Aston Villa is delighted to announce the appointment of Colin Calderwood as assistant manager.

Calderwood joins Stephen Clemence and Gary Walsh on Steve Bruce’s backroom staff.

The former Villa defender, 51, arrives from Brighton, where he spent just under two years as No.2 to Chris Hughton.

Bruce said: “I’m delighted to bring Colin to the football club.

When I heard Colin was interested he shot to the top of the pile
Steve Bruce
“We’ve got an experienced guy and a good football man. It was important for me to get someone of his nous.
“When I heard Colin was interested he shot to the top of the pile. We interviewed two or three people. But once I knew Colin was available there was only one person I wanted here.”

Director of Football Steve Round added: “We are delighted to secure the services of Colin. 

“He is an excellent coach and an outstanding person. 

“He has a wealth of experience at the highest level and will be a great addition to our management team.”

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: Colin Calderwood - Confirmed
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »
I wonder who else he / they interviewed?

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 03:18:32 PM »
Paul Trollope was reported as one I think?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 10:52:14 PM »
Brum Mail

Aston Villa's Colin Calderwood gives his reasons for joining Steve Bruce's revolution

The new assistant manager has been speaking for the first time since linking up with Steve Bruce

ByAlex Dicken
21:21, 23 NOV 2016Updated21:22, 23 NOV 2016

Aston Villa’s new assistant manager Colin Calderwood has explained how ‘the size of the club’ prompted him to leave Brighton & Hove Albion to link up with Steve Bruce.

Bruce’s search for an assistant lasted over a month, but the former Hull City boss finally got his man in the form of ex-Nottingham Forest manager Colin Calderwood.

And, like most to walk through the Villa Park doors, Calderwood highlighted the stature of the club when asked what attracted him to Aston Villa.

“It’s been a difficult decision in the first place to leave Chris (Hughton) and Brighton, but I’m delighted to get the opportunity,” said Calderwood, who played for Villa briefly during his career.

“It’s not so much coming back, I was only here for a short period as a player. It’s the size of the club and where I hope we are going to be able to get to which made it really exciting for me.

Brighton chief Hughton was visibly frustrated when confirming Calderwood’s departure to Villa after the match between the two sides last Friday.

And Calderwood admitted talks between he and Bruce were short before the Scot began work at Bodymoor Heath this week.

He said: “They were quite limited in all honesty. When the contact was made, you are obviously flattered to be wanted.

“From then on, it was down to me to make a decision and firstly, for the clubs to make a decision and come to an agreement.

“I was very excited about this chance. Being here for a few days already, it has proven to be the right decision, even in the early stages.

“We’ve obviously got work to do and we’ve got to be successful.”

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 07:41:46 AM »
I thought he was decent for us when he played.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »
Must have eased a great deal of pressure not having to commute from Northampton to Brighton. The 60 odd miles up the M1/M6 must seem like a doddle in comparison.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 12:18:03 PM »
Must have eased a great deal of pressure not having to commute from Northampton to Brighton. The 60 odd miles up the M1/M6 must seem like a doddle in comparison.

130 miles 1 way trip to Brighton reduced to 53 miles to Brum (traffic and road works permitting) roughly a 2 1/2 hour one way journey reduced to 1 hour. That there is reason enough to jump ship. I wonder if he stayed in Brighton or if he spent 3 hours plus travelling each day?

Welcome back Colin - good luck!

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »
From what the Brighton players are saying including Sidwell this sounds like a great acquisition for us.  They are genuinely down about him leaving.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 01:02:28 PM »
I always liked him, and it's vital that managers are allowed to bring in the staff they want.

Good luck Colin.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »
From what the Brighton players are saying including Sidwell this sounds like a great acquisition for us.  They are genuinely down about him leaving.

Any links?

Offline peter w

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »
Very happy with the appointment. As a Villa player, he surprised me, did everything it said on the tin. Excellent pro.

As a coach/assistant manager, he certainly seems to have got the full approval of the Brighton fans with a few tipping him to replace Houghton at some point. Their loss, our gain. He could be just the person to elevate Bruce's football from functional to exciting.

Welcome and good luck, Colin.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 10:57:15 AM »
Just having a quick glance over a Brighton website (yes, I've got too much time on my hands), it appears we have taken another member of their coaching staff today.  I'm not quite sure who "Whitehawk" are or their exact connection with Brighton but the bloke is definitely joining us:

http://www.juicebrighton.com/news/brighton-news/whitehawk-part-ways-with-manager/

Offline Pete

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 11:36:59 AM »
Just having a quick glance over a Brighton website (yes, I've got too much time on my hands), it appears we have taken another member of their coaching staff today.  I'm not quite sure who "Whitehawk" are or their exact connection with Brighton but the bloke is definitely joining us:

http://www.juicebrighton.com/news/brighton-news/whitehawk-part-ways-with-manager/

They play in National League South (sixth tier). I'm not aware of them being connected with Brighton FC. Your link is a news site, not a football site, and their ground is in Brighton.

Hill may have been recommended by Brian Little; he was his assistant manager at Tranmere.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »
Whitehawk have risen up the pyramid rapidly, on account of being bankrolled by someone who is rumoured to be losing interest. They'll be heading back down it again before long.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal